3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. News

2. Forum Support

3. Site Suggestions

Breaking Bohan

Europe

Breaking Bohan

I was watching a boxing match from London, where the English were rooting for some frenchman who was fighting some asian guy ... I guess I always thought the French and the English hated each other for some reason. Since so many of you are from UK - what's the history there - I guess between UK and France first ...

But after that - I'd be interested in you're general impression of various European countries, or wherever else you've been, because I've never been to Europe ... and I don't want to be filled full of incorrect stereotypes if I ever get the chance to go.

Thanks!

the_don94

I've been to Paris, France. It's a nice place and all but everywhere I went, there was dog crap. o.O

Barciur
I was watching a boxing match from London, where the English were rooting for some frenchman who was fighting some asian guy ... I guess I always thought the French and the English hated each other for some reason. Since so many of you are from UK - what's the history there - I guess between UK and France first ...

But after that - I'd be interested in you're general impression of various European countries, or wherever else you've been, because I've never been to Europe ... and I don't want to be filled full of incorrect stereotypes if I ever get the chance to go.

Thanks!

I can't tell you about UK and France but I know that Germans and Poles hate each other even though they are virtually in same "country" (EU)

tj11

I've been to Paris, France. It's a nice place and all but everywhere I went, there was dog crap. o.O

Yes, you'd think what with all the wine they drink, they'd have found another use for all those corks! sarcasm.gif

darthYENIK

Thanks!

They've been warring on and off for centuries. Before America and the Soviet Union existed the two most powerful countries were France and England. You know, the two biggest kids on the block have to fight each other eventually.

alx-ndr

I was watching a boxing match from London, where the English were rooting for some frenchman who was fighting some asian guy ... I guess I always thought the French and the English hated each other for some reason.  Since so many of you are from UK - what's the history there - I guess between UK and France first ...

Thanks!

yea since before America was even discovered we had been fighting with the french. In 1066 they pretty much owned us and killed our king... We kept on fighting them off ever since (Napoleonic wars etc...) and then we became allies. When we colonized North America they also took the side of the Americans in the revolutionary war against us... so pretty much they are really annoying and take opposite sides all the time.

Today the only reason we don't like the french is because they are rude...

Edited by alx-ndr

sergei stanislav

I can't tell you about UK and France but I know that Germans and Poles hate each other even though they are virtually in same "country" (EU)

dude everyone hates the germans...NO OFFENCE GERMANY SERIOUSLY....now days people dont but they do when it comes to the government

Svip

You have no idea how the EU works, do you?

Mad Tony

dude everyone hates the germans...NO OFFENCE GERMANY SERIOUSLY....now days people dont but they do when it comes to the government

I don't hate Germany. I don't see what's wrong with them.

Svip

I don't hate Germany. I don't see what's wrong with them.

Of course not, because sergei stanislav is an idiot making completely idiotic statements with no arguments to hold it up.

mark-2007

Obviously there's a lot of past between the two countries, but I don't see the need to hate the French now. Nor the Germans, or any nation that our reason to hate them lies in the past. The Napoleonic Wars, or any war with France for that matter, have nothing to do with me. One or two of my friends dislike the French, they think they're clever or something, I don't get it.

Also, about their rudeness, I don't think it exists.

alx-ndr

I was watching a boxing match from London, where the English were rooting for some frenchman who was fighting some asian guy ... I guess I always thought the French and the English hated each other for some reason.  Since so many of you are from UK - what's the history there - I guess between UK and France first ...

Thanks!

lmao... the EU isn't a country.

Also, about their rudeness, I don't think it exists.

sure...

Edited by alx-ndr

ElSaxo

Thanks!

You never heard nothing about Joan of Arc?

You don't know the history of European Union?

alx-ndr

This is a really pointless topic... why don't Americans just read about the rest of the world. We know enough about America...

nlitement

Sweden: They're cool, I guess.

Denmark: You need more metal and an alcohol monopoly. Sorry, Svip, but you're still lowlanders as jallar said. You had a great kingdom yet your highest point is only 170 m. I mean, come on, we were everyone's bitch for most of our history but at least we have some variation in our geography.

Norway: Censored o that should be ö: olje og fiske

Iceland: Cute.

France/Germany/Belgium: Europia

the Netherlands: An extension of Scandinavia in Europia

the UK: Care about themselves.

Italy/Spain/Greece: Vacationland.

Poland/Estonia/Latvia/Lithuania/Belarus/Romania/Bulgaria: ex-commies and corrupt.

Czech republic: Beer.

Russia: We (Finland) have a cute history with them.

ElSaxo

Thanks!

Svip

Denmark: You need more metal and an alcohol monopoly. Sorry, Svip, but you're still lowlanders as jallar said. You had a great kingdom yet your highest point is only 170 m. I mean, come on, we were everyone's bitch for most of our history but at least we have some variation in our geography.

I did not realise you were a f*cking idiot. Oh wait, I did. Shut the f*ck up.

Poland/Estonia/Latvia/Lithuania/Belarus/Romania/Bulgaria: ex-commies and corrupt.

Don't you f*cking dare dis Estonia, I will ban you.

mark-2007

We had some unibrowed Estonian woman in school when I was in my final year, she did a presentation on her country. They use "sownah" lots.

Svip
We had some unibrowed Estonian woman in school when I was in my final year, she did a presentation on her country. They use "sownah" lots.

"Sownah"? Never heard that in Estonia. All the Estonian ladies I've seen are quite attractive.

alx-ndr

racist...

nlitement

Sauna, (Salmiakki)kossu, Molotov cocktail, Nokia, Tom of Finland are some of the great things we've done or made. Actually, the only ones, but who cares, they're great.

And alx-ndr: How is anything I said "racist"?

Svip
(Salmiakki)kossu

That is based on Turkish Pepper, a Danish product. So I guess you can remove that from your list, kthx.

nlitement

(Salmiakki)kossu

That is based on Turkish Pepper, a Danish product. So I guess you can remove that from your list, kthx.

Yes, LEGO is awesome and so is Tyrkisk Peber. And that sausage thingy inside a bread.

But okay, we also brought you Linux, SSH, and IRC so I guess that makes up for it.

mark-2007

racist...

How?

I, for one, wasn't offended by his summing up of the British. It's rather humour that some might take as ignorance than racism. I'd like to know where he came up with them all though.

Svip
(Salmiakki)kossu

Yes, LEGO is awesome and so is Tyrkisk Peber. And that sausage thingy inside a bread.

But okay, we also brought you Linux, SSH, and IRC so I guess that makes up for it.

But we gave the world KaZaA, Skype, C++ and C#. I know, it's shameful.

nlitement

racist...

How?

I, for one, wasn't offended by his summing up of the British. It's rather humour that some might take as ignorance than racism. I'd like to know where he came up with them all though.

I found inspiration in this cute image, Europe from a Stockholmer's POV:

http://www.abload.de/img/youroplk4.jpg (http://www.abload.de/img/youroplk4.jpg)

And there's nothing bad about caring about yourselves. To me it just feels like you're a bit different from the "continental" Europe tounge.gif and I'm definitely not the first person to say that. It's just that when I think of EU I think of Germany, France, Belgium, the NL, Poland, Italy, and whatever but not the UK so often.

Svip: KaZaA ultimately became spyware. But c'mon, you know I love you. sad.gif you people are taking this too seriously.

ElSaxo
Sauna, (Salmiakki)kossu, Molotov cocktail, Nokia, Tom of Finland are some of the great things we've done or made. Actually, the only ones, but who cares, they're great.

And alx-ndr: How is anything I said "racist"?

Nokia...

Good times when was partially owned by italians and has produced television sets

http://www.torinointernational.com/spot80/...ision-1989.html (http://www.torinointernational.com/spot80/spot/itt-nokia-tv-color-digivision-1989.html)

Svip
Svip: KaZaA ultimately became spyware. But c'mon, you know I love you. sad.gif you people are taking this too seriously.

Only when Estonia is at stake! It such pretty country.

That map looks from a Swedish point of view. Fun story though, we used to own Norway and Estonia too. But also Iceland. Damn Icelanders.

alx-ndr

racist...

How?

xenophobic then lol

Wanted Assailant

I get a nice, fat book.