3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

1. GTANet 20th Anniversary
    2. Support

3. Suggestions

Google Chrome

lesfleanut

I don't get how this could be any different from the ever useless iGoogle. I'll have to wait and see until I use it, I still don't get why this is being released at all.

Sounds amazing IMO. Finally a fast browser that's not a complete resource hog and that can do complex javascript properly. I also really love how each tab is its own process and how the rendering engine does every element in parallel, not inline like every other browser.

However I'm not gonna use it, I've grown too attached to all of my firefox extensions, and no doubt many features will eventually make it into firefox anyway.

I don't get how this could be any different from the ever useless iGoogle. I'll have to wait and see until I use it, I still don't get why this is being released at all.

Hah, skimmed it huh? Everyone should read the little comic book they linked, it's kind of long but it explains the browser in detail and there's a lot of cool sh*t they talk about.

@ rocketkiller: They made all this sh*t open source and freely available so that IE, Firefox, and Safari (webkit) would adopt it. You can be sure the next version of every browser is going to make use of at least some of google's code. If you read the comic the last part is basically a push to get all these developers to adopt these technologies to promote standardized web browers.

Edited by lesfleanut

I get what they say, but there's far too much in terms of extensions and it's not like iGoogle is exactly old. I expect it'll be smooth but I don't see it as being all that special. I don't think I'll notice.

I get what they say, but there's far too much in terms of extensions and it's not like iGoogle is exactly old. I expect it'll be smooth but I don't see it as being all that special. I don't think I'll notice.

iGoogle and Crome are two different things, man. One is a home page and the other is a browser, it's like calling microsoft stupid for having both internet explorer and MSN.com.

Facepalm.

I really should read things before I speak. In this case then, it should indeed be interesting, starting over again seems a tad hazardous however. The interface on the webcomic reminds me of Safari for some reason...

Facepalm.

I really should read things before I speak. In this case then, it should indeed be interesting, starting over again seems a tad hazardous however. The interface on the webcomic reminds me of Safari for some reason...

haha that's what I was getting at before. And yes, it is based on webkit, which is the engine that safari is based on. Even if the browser sucks, I really hope the other browsers pick up this technology. This is big for everyone, even if they never use chrome.

Once step closer to google owning the internet. Not that that has to be a bad thing.

WbZaxRP.png

Ill deffo be giving it a try.

DIdnt Google finance alot of stuff for Firefox a few years ago?

Talking about the dollar they give Mozilla whenever someone uses Google Search from Firefox's interface? I suppose so, yes.

This certainly looks interesting. And I assume, since it is open source, that we can expect it on several platforms. The process part is certainly interesting. The security features, however, already exists in Firefox and Safari. As far as I know.

Awesome. No longer will the entire browser with bucket loads of tabs crash when one sh*tty web 2.0 page f*cks up. No more slow javascript loading. And it probably isn't needed but it's nice that it's threaded. Makes all those multicore CPUs feel useful.

This was my first reaction

[12:39:52]    ~jallar: oh great, a google web browser

[12:40:06]    ~jallar: first they try to compete with wikipedia, and now firefox

[12:40:23]    ~jallar: don't they get it, these are the areas where we _already have_ excellent open source alternatives

I read the comic, then

[12:52:42]    ~jallar: okay, i take it back, this looks really nice

[12:52:55]    ~jallar: lets hope it's really open source and not 'open source as google says' like android

I hope they implement something like Weave for all platforms, I want to sync my laptop and desktop.

The screenshots are looking quite impressive and being an open source would certainly add to its popularity. I just hope it doesn't turn out to be another Safari. But I'll most certainly give the beta version a try. icon14.gif

Screen shots? Where?

After reading the comic I can't wait to try it out! Supposed to be out todaytomorrow, huh? Hope it does get released soon, because I don't want my enthusiasm to die.

Sounds like a huge step up in browsing.

Looks like everyone is going to have to watch out for Google... didn't they say they were even working on an OS?

edit: Ah, found some screens.

http://blogs.pcworld.com/staffblog/archives/007645.html (http://blogs.pcworld.com/staffblog/archives/007645.html)

Edited by Picolini

Looks like Google is working on getting the download page up and running. Btw, just for your info, the download link is: (http://gears.google.com/chrome/?hl=en)

Currently, it redirects you to the Google search page, but it should be working when Google are ready to launch the beta version which should be at 11AM PDT.

Btw, anyone following Internet Explorer 8?

Seems I'm having trouble downloading it. I click Accept but nothing happens. The button disables upon clicking too.

EDIT: Got it working, I agree with Wads, it does seems quite fast. My only gripe is the horrid blue theme and the little bar that pops up telling me "waiting for gtaforums.com", I hope I'll either get used to it or I can turn it off.

Edited by Masterkraft

Also posting on Chrome. I decided I'd throw some acid tests at it. Passed 2 with flying colors, 63/100 on 3. Not bad.

Seems to be ok overall. Like Waddy said, nothing special. I'll put it in the "potential" book though. It being open source gives a lot of room for improvement and third-party add-ons and the like. I think we'll know if we're looking at something real or just a "platform" in about a month.

I like the extra-clean-smooth design, my screen seems bigger.

I know they want to make something fast, light, neat, but since they co-work with mozilla, they sould let you use extensions.

I can't browse without some, and this isn't a good point, expecially for heavy FF users.

And since I write in italian and english, not having the possibility to change spell checker fast (i've to go under options and other things) isn't great... i'll write them..

God damn it this thing is fast. But yeah, scrolling is kinda jumpy. It's till beta though.

BTC: 1JwbWprhZDLhBbLr4rRvQZGUrLSQyrDxnC
ETH: 0x2a406c192db9bf950d717c370b07abc07bd6286c

IzJXMQZ.png

I have experienced some inconsistent gif. speeds too. jallar's signature is a good example, it used to be enchanting watching him chew fast, now he's chewing slow.

I have experienced some inconsistent gif. speeds too. jallar's signature is a good example, it used to be enchanting watching him chew fast, now he's chewing slow.

If Chrome ruins the NOMNOMNOMNOM cadence it is truly the antichrist and needs to be torched on a stake.

Oh well, beta, let's give it a chance. Given Google's definition of a beta I'm not going to be too optimistic, though.

jallar glances at Gmail logo, notices 'BETA' tag still there after 4 years

It's getting slower. While my page hopping get's faster, your signature loses it's "nom" factor.

The GTAForums>>Community>>Tech & PC Chat // Links are in the Middle now.

Not for me, though I'm using the Connection skin, everything's aligned to the left still.