4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

1. GTANet 20th Anniversary
    2. Support

3. Suggestions

WMM is won't save my file!

BlOoDStReAm101

BlOoDStReAm101

Alright, so I have a problem with one of the most sh*t programs ever invented on Microsoft's computers and thats Windows Movie Maker. It's like it has a menopause and it tends to work at certain days. Well now it's not letting me save my project into a movie file.

I have recently finished making a video called "Grand Theft Auto: Death Race" (based on the upcoming movie, Death Race) and now I can't save it. I keep getting this message below:

"Windows Movie Maker cannot save the movie to the specified location. Verify that the original source files used in your movie are still available, that the saving locations is still available, and that there is enough free disk space available, and then try again."

That message right there looked like it pretty much answered the problem, but the thing is, it didn't. I have 28GB left on a 80GB Computer (I'm even defragmenting the C: Drive as we speak. I know I have enough disk space available but it's just not working for me. And whats even more bizarre is that I made a different video yesterday which was 3:43 in length and it worked. But this video that I'm making is only 2:49 in length and it's not working. Please someone help!

Is there at least a website where you can convert WMM projects into a .WMV?

Edited by BlOoDStReAm101

I've never had a problem of any sort with WMM.

And that message won't help you if you don't acknowledge everything it says, ie the location you're trying to save to and the thing about the original files.

PC specs (OS, RAM, ect) might help us help you too.

BlOoDStReAm101
I've never had a problem of any sort with WMM.

And that message won't help you if you don't acknowledge everything it says, ie the location you're trying to save to and the thing about the original files.

PC specs (OS, RAM, ect) might help us help you too.

I do acknowledge that. I tried everything they suggested. But nothing. My damn PC is still defragmenting so I'll try again when it's finished.

Lol, nice grammar lol.gif

As for WMM, yes it sucks. It used to work alright, but all the sudden it won't let me even add clips into the time line. BS.

Renamed em? Accessing em with another program, hell even another session etc?

This is why we save regularly boys and girls.

No, no, no, no, you don't understand. I did save it as a project. It's saved, but not as a movie file in which you can upload it to YouTube, Metacafe, etc etc.

As for WMM, yes it sucks. It used to work alright, but all the sudden it won't let me even add clips into the time line. BS.

Damn it. I just realized that. There goes my grammar streak. =[

Even if its under 3 mins how much are the files? I had a problem with WMM before where it was just too big for it, and after that, WMM just kept freezing and eventually became useless. I've moved on to sony's vegas, much more stable and a way better video editing program.

Even if its under 3 mins how much are the files? I had a problem with WMM before where it was just too big for it, and after that, WMM just kept freezing and eventually became useless. I've moved on to sony's vegas, much more stable and a way better video editing program.

When you say how big, do you mean how much space it took? About 43MB. By the way, is Sony Vegas free?

What format are your source files? WMM is tricky, and sometimes (always) it's better to compress everything using DV compression before cutting. Use progressive scan, 29.97 fps, 100% quality, 720x480, .9 pixel aspect ratio.

Get a program called "MPEGStreamclip," and use it to convert your footage to DV before importing it into WMM. If takes up more space than H.264 or DivX, but is less processor intensive to cut and 'publish.'

What you may be confused about is the process of importing video. It may sound stupid to anyone in the know, but many people don't realize that when you import a video into a project, it's not saved in the project file. It's not like photoshop, where you can paste an image into a new layer and just save it; NLE's only reference your source footage when they 'import' them.

Honestly, I know you've said otherwise, but it sounds to me like you've removed your source videos because you're under the impression that they exist within your project. They don't. If this is the case, yet you can still watch your video within Movie Maker, it's because Movie Maker 'renders' non-compliant video, and stores that in a temporary folder. If you've lost the original video files, you can hunt down these render files.

If that is not the case, try this - Publish the movie to a CD instead of your hardrive. This requires you have a burner, but it will spit out the same WMV file onto your CD instead of your harddrive, circumventing whatever the problem is.

Finally, if all else fails, pack up the project and all of your source files (videos, pictures, music, effects) into a .rar file, host it on Rapidshare, and one of us can help you out.

My source videos are in the "My Video" document and I haven't removed it at all. It's been there even when I finished the video. Anyway, I tried the method to publishing the video to a CD, but I still have the same problem. It's an empty, 80 Min or 700MB CD and I can't publish my 43MB sized video. I even tried lowering the MB to 15MB and less but it still gives me the error. I honestly ran out of options so I decided to do your last method which is uploading everything from video, audio, and images into one compressed folder so that one of you guys can help me save it as a .WMV file (or anything that YouTube allows).

I tried using Rapidshare and making it into a .rar file but Rapidshare took to long to upload the folder and I don't know how to make a folder into an .rar file . I did however made the folder into a compressed .zip file and hosted the folder on Filefront. Here it is and I hope one of you guys help me out. icon14.gif

Download

It's a 128MB download (due to the 9 videos and 2 audio clips in there as well as the video project).

http://files.filefront.com/GTADeathRacemov...;/fileinfo.html

There you go; high quality quicktime, ready for upload to Youtube. You didn't send me the final audio clip, so I improvised with my own. wink.gif

So, looking back, I think your problem may have something to do with your temporary files cache; try clearing it up.

Yes, very nice indeed.

Probably was intended to be

"W. Movie Maker Is not wanting to save my File"?

Use WINRAR for RAR compression, or if even to just read, 7Zip will work wonders!

It integrates into Context menus if requested. As to storage of them on CD, that is a painful process that fails most often, so you'll do much better with a large USB 2.0 key, like me, I bought a 4GB model that is driver supported down to Windows 98SE!!! Gotta love that.

Edited by Slamman

Yes, very nice indeed.

Probably was intended to be

"W. Movie Maker Is not wanting to save my File"?

Slammy, I love you, but you're driving me nuts lately with the off-topic chattiness. Keep it in Gen Chat, for all our sakes! tounge.gif

Less OT, I edited some useful tech jibber-jabber in there too! Just for you. happy.gif

I would add that Movie Maker debuted with Windows ME and was my first real editor, it's not rubust, but it's so easy I use it the most to this day!

http://files.filefront.com/GTADeathRacemov...;/fileinfo.html

There you go; high quality quicktime, ready for upload to Youtube. You didn't send me the final audio clip, so I improvised with my own. wink.gif

So, looking back, I think your problem may have something to do with your temporary files cache; try clearing it up.

Thanks Otter. That last audio clip you gave me was something I had but instead of the beginning of the song, I did the end of the song. It doesn't matter though, it still sounded good to me. Thanks again and I'll be sure to clear the temporary file cache this time around. cookie.gif

• 1 month later...
http://files.filefront.com/GTADeathRacemov...;/fileinfo.html (http://files.filefront.com/GTADeathRacemov/;11320409;/fileinfo.html)

There you go; high quality quicktime, ready for upload to Youtube.  You didn't send me the final audio clip, so I improvised with my own. wink.gif

Thanks Otter. That last audio clip you gave me was something I had but instead of the beginning of the song, I did the end of the song. It doesn't matter though, it still sounded good to me. Thanks again and I'll be sure to clear the temporary file cache this time around. cookie.gif

how do i clean out that folder? this is my best video yet and ive made about 8 already. ive spent all day cleaning up unwanted things. both my empty cd, my half empty flash drive and my c drive all have enough memory. its a sims video so i HAVE NOT i repeat HAVE NOT deleted or moved anything. it still will not save and i have that exact message. i just dont want to redo something ive spent two days on.

I'd say your best bet is to move all your sources files and the project file to a clean location, preferably your flash drive.

It may be as simple as that; then going into documents and settings>local>temp, deleting everything in there, then try to export. Failing that, a good defrag may help as WMM works with rather large render files that need a clean chunk of free space to spit out properly.

Take Otter's idea and use project files on another computer with Movie Maker, try that as well, perhaps monocle.gif

I think WinME's introduction of Movie Maker is great, it's rather simple and effective, it's transition to Vista may not be so smooth and the evolution of many others since Win ME.

Most all have setup time lines and the various sandwiched effects and seperate narration and music bars.... BUT I rarely have an issue with all the vids on my former YouTube channel, they were all done with Movie Maker, and a Divx attempt did fail so I would advise against that.

Vegas is not free, and neither is WinRAR, however, you can use WinRAR in trial form, if not mistaken, and perhaps 7Zip will work to make RAR files, but I kinda doubt it. It certainly unzips them however.

Edited by Slamman