3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

1. GTANet 20th Anniversary
    2. Support

3. Suggestions

Xbox 360 on PC Monitor?

spyro_ie

I'm just wondering about hooking an Xbox 360 up to a LCD monitor, to be specific, a 22" Samsung 226CW.

The reason I ask is because I am building a new PC, and getting this monitor with it and I thought it would be extremely handy if I could use the monitor for both my PC and 360 gaming.

If it is possible, how do you do it and would it be worthwhile? I currently use my 360 on a 26" (I think) CRT television.

Would the graphics be better on this 22" LCD screen.

Thanks in advance.

I think there's a VGA port on the back of the xbox, isn't there? Just buy yourself a VGA/DVI adaptor, or, I think your monitor even has an HDMI input, does it not?

Edit - you'll get 720p, for sure, and the monitor may even downconvert 1080p for you - which would be the best option.

Cheers Otter. Checked online for VGA adapter, looks like it'll do the job.

Question is, will it be better than my larger CRT...

I bought my VGA (HD) Xb360 cable well in advance of my own 360, but I mentioned that before, it should be known via a search as others were asking about HD support on 360 and PS3 for some time.

You can convert VGA to DVI easily enough, but at a cost I'm not willing to make.

If your 22 inch is widescreen digital, it will look better then a traditional CRT, but for years CRTs were the best, so it's not to say they can't perform, or haven't

What cost?!?!?! If you pay any more than two dollars for an adapter, you're a stone-cold sucker. tounge.gif

The 22inch Samsung will look better than an SD CRT hands down.

Lol, I've got several adapters just laying around... they come with everything... monitors, graphics cards... no need to really buy them even! They're a dime a dozen.

As for an Xbox 360 to VGA cable, I bought one from eBay for like $12 incl shipping. It's some knock off one, the packaging said X-360 (lol), but it works 100%. Wouldn't waste my money on an official MS one.

Whoop De Frickn Doo, as Chris Farley would say....

I don't have access to those adapters, but ones I got free? I can't really recall... I typically had to buy them. Consider yourself lucky tounge2.gif

I recommend you buy an official one for about £20, the cheap version you get are cheap for a reason, they suffer interference from other electrical devices, such as Xboxs and Monitors, you get a couple of ghost images above the actual output over to the side.

I recommend you buy an official one for about £20, the cheap version you get are cheap for a reason, they suffer interference from other electrical devices, such as Xboxs and Monitors, you get a couple of ghost images above the actual output over to the side.

We're not talking about the cable, we're talking about the adaptor.

http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku...nufacture=CABTG

Seems you do have to pay a little more for the opposite genders, but not much.

i have the same monitor ( just 19" dozingoff.gif ) ... and in close range it better ... but in larger i didnt try ...

and ofcaures if you have screen 22" ( i have tv just 21" ) so it will be better , o and you can use the monitor as a tv ...

you dont need no thing it all come in the pakage , it have the same enter as the tv ... and people dont make it hard ....

it all easy .. thats not a rocket sience dudes ...

So basically I need an "Official Xbox 360 VGA HD AV Cable", costing €25, and an adapter.

Which adapter do I have to get? Is this the one you were talking about?

http://www.play.com/PC/PCs/4-/3274072/Belk...le/Product.html

What outputs does your monitor have? VGA cable comes with VGA input, so you want your monitor to have VGA output free, if your VGA output on your monitor is already in use, and you want to use DVI output on your monitor, then this adapter should do the job, though 8 pounds for it is a robbery.

My stuff goes like this: DVI output is for my (PC) graphics card and VGA output goes to my 360, without any adapters.

Edited by brz59

No spyro, that adapter is the wrong gender. Take a look at the one I posted.

However, looking at the specs of your monitor, it's got a VGA input as well, so you wont need it.

No spyro, that adapter is the wrong gender. Take a look at the one I posted.

However, looking at the specs of your monitor, it's got a VGA input as well, so you wont need it.

That adapter does have the right genders. Xbox 360 VGA cable is MALE and I suppose the DVI output in his monitor is FEMALE, but I doubt this adapter is needed anyway...

Edited by brz59

All this tech talk, so confusing... although I'd probably understand it if I took the time to research the stuff.

Just to clear this up: all I will need is the VGA Cable, like this:

http://www.play.com/Games/Xbox360/4-/71974...ource=0&cur=258

And what do I do then? Is it just a case of connecting that cable from my xbox into the back of my monitor?

Thanks for the help by the ways.

I'm not sure whether that monitor you linked to has a VGA input as well as DVI, the site doesn't mention it but I have a couple of Samsung monitors in the house and they both have VGA and DVI. If it does indeed have both, then yes, you just plug it in and plug the audio bit into your speakers; however you'll have to switch which audio input is plugged in every time you jump from your PC to 360 and vice versa. However, if it only has DVI, you'll need to buy that cable and little adapter that will go onto the end of the cable so you can plug it in: in that case every time you go on your 360 you'll have to switch video and audio cables.

Hope that makes things clearer.

Well, after doing a bit of searching I found that it does have a DVI connection:

http://www.afterdawn.com/hardware/product_...yncmaster_226cw

Although, what confuses me is that it says DVI-D and DVI-I, and it only has DVI-D. Is this the correct one?

Also, regarding the whole switching Audio cables everytime I want to play the 360, is there any sort of switch I could buy, or could I do some sort of DIY job?

Well, after doing a bit of searching I found that it does have a DVI connection:

http://www.afterdawn.com/hardware/product_...yncmaster_226cw

Although, what confuses me is that it says DVI-D and DVI-I, and it only has DVI-D. Is this the correct one?

Also, regarding the whole switching Audio cables everytime I want to play the 360, is there any sort of switch I could buy, or could I do some sort of DIY job?

It says you have both DVI and VGA outputs, so it's all good.

Though what output goes to your PC graphics card? Look behind your monitor, if the blue output (being VGA) is free, then you only need the cable and that's it, no adapters or anything.

About the audio: The cable comes with 2 sound inputs. You can plug them to your speakers. I use headphones for audio, but for that you need to buy a special connector independently (though I didn't need that, because my 360 VGA cable had an extra wire for headphones) and if I want to switch to my PC audio, I plug the headphones back to my PC.

You might need 2 sets of speakers, or speakers and headphones, if you don't want to switch around them. Don't know about special switches, though.

I hope to try my own HD VGA 360 adapter soon, I have to use my friend's "box" so getting him at a time he's free has been a chore...perhaps tonight though??

DVI I is for Interlaced video, meaning it's akin to analog delivery. DVI-D is Digital domain delivery. I think DVI-D (Digital Video Interface, BTW) has more pins so the interface should allow both, the more pins open, any less will mate to it, the reverse will prove impossible

Edited by Slamman