7.62 hiberNative

7.62 hiberNative

tokyo, japan.

crazy city environments.

drift cars.

weird people.

yakuza mafia.

swords and martial arts?

executions in zen gardens or japanese countryside.

need i say more?

some pics to spark urge:

interesting locations for shootouts and chases.

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

drift configurated cars

user posted image

user posted image

yakuza mafia

user posted imageuser posted image

lot of freak bitches to run over (or whatever you want to do with them)

user posted imageuser posted image

would be a really colorful and cool experience. i know you agree!

too bad the city is really big + a LOT of pedestrians. pc exclusive with 40gb install anyone? <3

Edited by 7.62 hiberNative

Tony Mozzarelli 80

I couldnn't agree more. Tokyo would be an excellent setting

7.62 hiberNative
It would be a great place to just f*ck around.

But after GTAIV, I'm sort of after a less urbanised area.

And also, http://www.gtaforums.com/index.php?showtopic=361498.

Same idea, less pronounced.

But it's only like 7 topics down...

oh, didn't see that. probably cause he failed to write a decent topic ;D

Tony Mozzarelli 80

It would be great if it had surrounding countryside too, mountains and stuff like that with a few small villages.

So you could get to see some traditional Japanese buildings and stuff like that

7.62 hiberNative

It would be great if it had surrounding countryside too, mountains and stuff like that with a few small villages.

So you could get to see some traditional Japanese buildings and stuff like that

yeah, i agree. like san andreas but with bigger city and country side.

i wouldn't mind if the game took 50gb to install if the experience is breathtaking.

28RedEyedCrows

Playing 'IV', I was thinking how much I'd love a setting in Japan or even China, especially when driving through Chinatown. More creepy areas, more bright lights, more colorful people/gangs and more activities = icon14.gif Adding in the small villages and countryside would make it that much better.

Tokyo would be an awesome take on it but maybe as an American charcter but a japanese character wouldnt be bad as the protagonist either. Hong Kong would also be cool.

Mr. Someguy

Yea, when I was writing idea's for my future GTA, Tokyo was a HUGE inspiration for the city environment, and a few other parts too.

Mr. Someguy
How would you break the language barrier?

Subtitles? That would be very annoying though.

And they won't make one for all those people who understand Japanese, because Japan banned GTA.

BigAmericanTitties

tokyo's good, but i like the chicago/detroit setting better.

• 6 months later...

I disagree with doing it in japan in some ways because, japans crime rate is quite low compared to most countries of the world and if you commit crimes in japan you don't just get a slap on the hand, you would get a death penalty for killing heaps of people there, but then it is the same with America with the amount of people I've killed in gta at once i get away with a just paying a bribe. It'll be most likly in the old citys

I've always thought Toyko would be an awesome setting for GTAnx. Maybe done in a slightly more animated stylish fashion rather than the often grey dullness of gta4

Omnia sunt Communia

There's already hundreds of topics about setting Grand Theft Auto in Tokyo, most of them hundreds of times more useful and informative than yours. With the amount of information you've supplied us with here, you're better off replying to one of those topics, or simply taking your suggestion to the Location thread (Pinned Topic at the top of the page).

id love to have tokyo as a setting

but i dont think it would feel like a GTA

it wouldnt have the right atmosphere

but as a GTA style game then itd be awesome

polishmattsexybeast

y would anyone want it in tokyo. they shouldnt even create another one. the dorks in here are just incredible with some things that are said.

major underscore

The next GTA will not be in Tokyo, simple as that.  A huge part of GTA is environmental humor, like brands, signs, and other things.  That factor is almost completely eliminated if the signs are all in another language.  If they want to do the Yakuza scene, they will do it in the US.  Because if they want to do it in Tokyo, they will miss out on the mobs and the street gangs, and every other variety of organized crime that has become a trademark of the series.

All true.

+ Japan is very ethnically homogenous, which is not the case of the U.S., meaning fewer colourful gangs to play around with while designing the game.

+ The U.S. GTA gaming fan base is huge.

+ Japanese radio? Never heard of it, and probably never will.

+ Few cultural references to make fun of that could be appreciated by a broader U.S./European audience.

Omnia sunt Communia

The next GTA will not be in Tokyo, simple as that.  A huge part of GTA is environmental humor, like brands, signs, and other things.  That factor is almost completely eliminated if the signs are all in another language.

You do realise that about 90% of the signs in Japan are written in Japanese AND English, right? Have you never come across the phrase 'Engrish'? It's basically the Japanese's mispelling of English words of phrases; but in a comical fashion.

Check out Engrish.com. That sort of stuff would be dynamite in Grand Theft Auto.

If they want to do the Yakuza scene, they will do it in the US.  Because if they want to do it in Tokyo, they will miss out on the mobs and the street gangs, and every other variety of organized crime that has become a trademark of the series.

Japan's criminal underworld does not consist of solely the Yakuza. While Japan is a very homogeneous culture, in that there is very little ethnic diversity, that doesn't mean there is only one type of criminal in the country. There are several different types of Yakuza, to start off with, then you have street gangs, racing gangs and all the other varieties you'd expect to find in any populated city.

There is also the possibility of Chinese, Korean and even Russian gangsters in-game. Not to mention the rest of Asia. San Andreas was set in America, but that didn't stop it having only American gangs in there, did it?

+ The U.S. GTA gaming fan base is huge.

What's your point? I'm sure Grand Theft Auto is played in Japan, just like it is played everywhere else in the world. Just because the majority of people who play the game are from America; doesn't mean it's not allowed to leave there.

You watch movies set outside America, don't you? You read books set outside America, don't you? I suspect you even play other video games that are set outside America, so why not Grand Theft Auto?

You've never heard of Japanese radio, therefore it doesn't exist? That's some Grade A logic for you there.

major underscore

Japan's criminal underworld does not consist of solely the Yakuza. While Japan is a very homogeneous culture, in that there is very little ethnic diversity, that doesn't mean there is only one type of criminal in the country. There are several different types of Yakuza, to start off with, then you have street gangs, racing gangs and all the other varieties you'd expect to find in any populated city.

There is also the possibility of Chinese, Korean and even Russian gangsters in-game. Not to mention the rest of Asia. San Andreas was set in America, but that didn't stop it having only American gangs in there, did it?

I think that you're working a bit too hard here to prove a weak point. The U.S. is a better place for gangs and give much greater freedom for the game designers. You could have a game set in Oslo, Norway, and add any of those gangs, but it's not done very smoothly, which is a problem (even if you don't recognise it as such).

What's your point? I'm sure Grand Theft Auto is played in Japan, just like it is played everywhere else in the world. Just because the majority of people who play the game are from America; doesn't mean it's not allowed to leave there.

You watch movies set outside America, don't you? You read books set outside America, don't you? I suspect you even play other video games that are set outside America, so why not Grand Theft Auto?

As a producer of games you want a setting that the greater fan base can easily relate to. A Japan/Tokyo setting would be a harder sell than a U.S. setting.

You've never heard of Japanese radio, therefore it doesn't exist? That's some Grade A logic for you there.

Of course it exists. I haven't disputed that. I only wrote that I have never heard of it, and probably never will.

Please stop using these straw man arguments to try to prove your point.

I'm not racist, but i think the overal cliche ( Wich R* will recreate ) atmosphere of Japan is way to cheesy, neon and overal different for a GTA game.

Mainland Marauder

Let's go ahead and take this to the Location topic.

Closed

"You tell me exactly what you want, and I'll explain to you very carefully why it cannot be."