Brando USB SATA Dock

d00d

So basically, I've bought one of those USB hard drive docks because the concept is brilliant. Plug it in, and away you go - albeit at a little slower transfer rate. But I have a problem with it.

I plug the hard drive in, everything connected as it should be, and turn the unit on. Power light is on, hard drive is spinning and Windows XP makes the "dun-dun" sound when new hardware is connected via USB. Bubble comes up from the start bar, "New Device Found", "Installing Drivers", "Your New Hardware is Ready to use".

So I go to my computer and...its not there. I have my standard drives (C: and DVD drives) and nothing more.

Does anyone have one of these? Is there an install process I'm missing? The manual is all in Japanese, so its no good to me, I'm afraid.

Cheers in advance =].

Before I forget - system specs:

Windows XP SP2

Intel Q6600 @ 3GHz, OCZ Reaper 4GB RAM, PNY 8800GT, Abit IP35 Pro, Seagate 500GB HDD.

Brando dock is using a Seagate 60GB 2.5" 5400RPM drive.

user posted image

Fozzy Fozborne

When you first get a new hard drive, it usually demands a format through windows first. It's pretty easy.

Get the device all started up and after the dun dun sound.

Click start, then right-click "My Computer", now click "manage".

Now click "disk management" and you should see your primary volume (C: for most people) at the top. Now look down at the lower screen. You should see a drive with that says "unpartitioned space". Now, right-click that section and click format. Now Windows will set up the drive as you like with as many partitions as you select.

Hope that helped you, if you drive doesn't show up in disk management, make sure you scroll to the bottom if you have a lot of drives. If it definitely isn't on the list, then I'd say you got a defective dock or it's incompatible with your drive.

Thanks for your reply Fozzy =].

I went up to the Drive Management utility, and the second drive was there, but not marked as "unpartitioned space" but as "unallocated". If I right click on it, I also have the option to "Initialize Disk". Here's a screencap for you -

user posted image

I'd choose the Initialize Disk option, but I'm in completely unknown territory here and I don't want to muff up my PC tounge.gif . I'm supposing thats the option I go to...

EDIT: I Initialized it, and nothing broke =]. But now its enabled, it still doesn't show up on my computer, since it doesn't have a drive letter. Do I -have- to partition it to access it? Its not new, its from my PS3 (I've stuck a new, bigger hard drive in it) and has a couple movies I'd like to get off. If not, I'll just put it back in and copy it to USB or something. Thanks again. biggrin.gif

Edited by d00d

user posted image

You have to format it first for Windows to recognise it, so do that and it'll be fine smile.gif.

FIOszpJ.gif

Alright, cheers for the contributions guys. I'll put it back in my PS3, copy everything to a USB drive then switch the drives again and format this one.

Thanks again icon14.gif

user posted image

Fozzy Fozborne

Oh yes, it's called Initialize disk... sorry I was doing it from memory.

Sadly you'll have to format the disk before using in a Windows PC. After initialization and a format, your drive should work perfectly.