Cant Install Windows xp Service pack 3

H4milton

Just downloaded the Service Pack 3, for Win Xp, and mine is Win XP MCE 2005, 32 Bit, the service Pack 3's size was 312 Megabyte, and took me a whole day to download it, not allowed to post the link, and it is not a torrent, when I clik it, it extracts all the files, but after a while the main installation starts, just like the Windows Installer 5, but after some progress, it says that an Internal error has occured.

What To DO...

the only place you should've downloaded that servicepack from was from ms'es own official site. No where else.

user posted image

user posted image

Well, the name of the file is:

windowsxp-kb936929-sp3-x86-enu_c81472f7eeea2eca421e116cd4c03e2300ebfde4.exe

^^^^THAT ONE

crazymodder

you mentioned that your sp2's bit is 64, and your installed the 86 bit one. the bit is the big problem.

bagged and tagged by 'nujer

I MIND MY OWN BUSINESS GOOD SIR

you mentioned that your sp2's bit is 64, and your installed the 86 bit one. the bit is the big problem.

Nope. Read the first post carefully. He has had a 32-bit SP2.

@Eeshan: Atm, all that I can suggest is to try downloading it from somewhere else. Btw, why would you want to update unless you have some serious problems with SP2?

crazymodder

he mentioned to me that he has a 64 bit on msn.

bagged and tagged by 'nujer

I MIND MY OWN BUSINESS GOOD SIR

he mentioned to me that he has a 64 bit on msn.

That totally contradicts what he's mentioned in the first post of this topic. He needs to clear up the confusion first.

sorry for the troubles, but now i see that my pc is 32Bit blush.gif .

Look the picture below:

user posted image

Then, Crazymodder said to me that the one I downloaded was x86 bit, so now i want to update my pc to 86bit, if possible, and if not possible then how am i gonna do it in 64 bit.

i have no ideas to buy a 64Bit, so if anyone know a torrent link, please send me via the PM

Eeshan, Are you on a 64 Bit XP OS or not if yes then the updates you need are from "Windows Server 2003 SP2"

since all updates required for XP 64 Bit are bundled with that service pack. For Xp 32 bit all you need is SP2 and all the KB updates from the Microsoft DL section. Those are not automatic updates they are user errors/glitches that are reported to MS which then they supply Hot fixes. If you are not experiencing any problems with SP2 then hold off on SP3 it still is sort of buggy, and I don't think MS has any plans are releasing another update for it at least not for now. Once you download all post SP2 updates,hot fixes you don't really need SP3, seriously.

Eeshan, Are you on a 64 Bit XP OS or not if yes then the updates you need are from "Windows Server 2003 SP2"

since all updates required for XP 64 Bit are bundled with that service pack. For Xp 32 bit all you need is SP2 and all the KB updates from the Microsoft DL section. Those are not automatic updates they are user errors/glitches that are reported to MS which then they supply Hot fixes. If you are not experiencing any problems with SP2 then hold off on SP3 it still is sort of buggy, and I don't think MS has any plans are releasing another update for it at least not for now. Once you download all post SP2 updates,hot fixes you don't really need SP3, seriously.

Okay, then thanks for that little bit of info.

Btw, x86 = 32 bit, unless it's specifically mentioned as x86-64.

@Eeshan: Atm, all that I can suggest is to try downloading it from somewhere else. Btw, why would you want to update unless you have some serious problems with SP2?

I googled it and downloaded off the most obvious link, it had a direct one to MS, but no word on which bit version... I suppose there's an uninstall to safeguard, or it would prompt normally? I downloaded it on broadband at 150/kbps...took over 30 minutes and SP3 was stated as 314MB or so in size! Massive! biggrin.gif

Why don't you just use the built-in windows updater app? The reason it's failing probably has something to do with another missing critical update.

Why don't you just use the built-in windows updater app? The reason it's failing probably has something to do with another missing critical update.

Well, that doesnt take me dirctly to the SP3, but It will come One by one

Just downloaded the Service Pack 3, for Win Xp, and mine is Win XP MCE 2005, 32 Bit, the service Pack 3's size was 312 Megabyte, and took me a whole day to download it, not allowed to post the link, and it is not a torrent, when I clik it, it extracts all the files, but after a while the main installation starts, just like the Windows Installer 5, but after some progress, it says that an Internal error has occured.

What To DO...

Internal Error

When you try to install Windows XP SP3, you may receive the following error message:

Service Pack 3 installation did not complete

After you click OK in the error message, you receive the following error message:

An internal error occurred

For more information, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:

949384  Error message when you try to install Windows XP Service Pack 3: "An Internal error occurred"

I can't believe you are still unable to install this anyways take a look at this and Good Luck! my friend.

Courtesy of MS: