Blur effect non-existant

Singey

Some of you may or may not know that everything in GTA 4 looks a bit too blurry at a distance, R* added the blur 'to hide imperfections'.

What I say to you is, go to Helitours, and just before you waste $150 on a tour, look at Broker across the river, it will look way to blurry for a 'realistic' representation of how far the human eye can see before things get blurred. Then enter the helicopter, and look back, everything is sharper and more detailed, however aliasing is more noticeable, but not that badly.

Everything looks a lot better if you ask me, why R* added the blur if it looks worse is beyond me. Its just my opinion.

I would post pictures but I only have a camera. Although it is decent, off screen shots hide imperfections due to their quality, so the difference would not be that noticeable.

Thank you for your time!

Also if you're in a helicopter and press the O button for a cinematic view, the view inside the helicopter looking through the glass makes it look sharper too.

Could someone post a pic with a capture card please, i'd really like to see if this works.

avsrule247
i never noticed it being blurry

It is not really blurring, think of it more as a distance effect on objects. Obviously if you are far away from a city or objects then they will appear to be just small colours blurred together (like an airplane in the sky) but if you get up close then you see tons of detail and its real size. Rockstar added the same effect in GTA IV, basically blurring anything in the background.

If you hit Y (360) in a helicopter you can see even farther and clearer. wink.gif

CryptReaperDorian

Well I notice if you fly at the maxinum height with a helicopter you can see the entire Liberty City. I think the reason for this is so you are not able to see other boroughs or other parts of the borough your at in full detail otherwise you'll know basically almost how every bit of a borough looks like before you even unlock it.

I never even noticed the blurry thing. But I choose blurry iselands over San Andreas' yellow mist thing they had going on. confused.gif

CrashPlague
If you hit Y (360) in a helicopter you can see even farther and clearer. wink.gif

heh, funny.

Some of you may or may not know that everything in GTA 4 looks a bit too blurry at a distance, R* added the blur 'to hide imperfections'.

What I say to you is, go to Helitours, and just before you waste $150 on a tour, look at Broker across the river, it will look way to blurry for a 'realistic' representation of how far the human eye can see before things get blurred. Then enter the helicopter, and look back, everything is sharper and more detailed, however aliasing is more noticeable, but not that badly.

Everything looks a lot better if you ask me, why R* added the blur if it looks worse is beyond me. Its just my opinion.

I would post pictures but I only have a camera. Although it is decent, off screen shots hide imperfections due to their quality, so the difference would not be that noticeable.

Thank you for your time!

I've never noticed any blur in the game except when you move the camera around yourself really fast.

Like I said the blur is noticeable, just look across one of the rivers to another island, and the outlines of buildings are blurry depending on how far away you are. Also looking at cars in the distance (like on one of the long roads in Algonquin), the also seem blurry too.

I dont have a capture card, but seriosly, its easy to do. The blurring or difference between the two may not be as noticeable in standard def.

Black-hawk

This effect is called depht of field or DOF for short, games use it for a more realistic look. Basically it just applies a certain filter on objects at a certain distance.

user posted image

This effect is called depht of field or DOF for short, games use it for a more realistic look. Basically it just applies a certain filter on objects at a certain distance.

Is that just so that like in real life looking at foreground objects there all in your eyes focus and everything around the object in the foreground is out of focus? wow.gif

I actually never noticed this myself. I'll have to check it out next time I play. I went on the tours for the achievements. Never really studied them.

Its not as if I 'studied' the surroundings either, it was plainly noticeable that everything looker sharper and better.

Also on one of the tours it takes you to the Statue of Happiness and it looks so much better without the filter from further back.

I'm trying this as we speak..... wait! WTF! AAAAAHHHHH, NIKO!

*splat!*

Damn you Crosby!

I own a PS3 version, and the circle button allows you to get the cinematic camera going and enjoy several awesome angles... WELLLLL....

If you haven't tried this while driving you and your drunk ass cousin home yet....what are you waiting for!??

Not the greatest found thing since cottage cheese, but I find it tends to remove much of the effect...well, some of it at any rate, but it does seem to als factor into getting sober quicker. I would drink where one shoots darts in Dukes, then use the bridge back to Bohan, it much easier to escape any cops... back to the Bohan safehouse.

I'll try the HeliTours again, it's been awhile, I admit it!