Pc gaming dying?

Neon25

As PC topic is closed(again?), I've a few news on what's happening to the PC.

Many of the console gamers say that X360/PS3 is the best gaming platform, which is partially true- it's like plug and play- you insert a disk and you can start playing right away.

But there's also another sight on this, presented by Microsoft and Blizzard.

Interview with Peter Zetterberg of Microsoft (source: http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/micr...s-europe-part-2 ) says few interesting things.

Peter Zetterberg:If we launch a game that is on 360 and PC simultaneously, we basically shoot ourselves in the foot by allowing the German market to choose to play the PC version – because they are more likely to buy that than spend their money on the Xbox 360. (...) If we launched a Halo game on PC and 360 in Germany simultaneously, 80 per cent of sales would be on the PC. So we need to pick and choose our formats.

And so I am Captain Obvious, saying that Microsoft is only advertising consoles because they want more money. But he also admits that people are more likely to choose PC over X360 if they had a choice. Let's continue.

Q: So you're admitting that the Xbox 360 is the priority, because you don't want to lose console sales.

Peter Zetterberg: No, they're equally important. The PC has a much wider use, it's so established, it's so dominating already so in some territories we need to make the games for the 360 to increase the sales there.

"It's so dominating already in some territories". Basically he claims that PC is more superior than the consoles, and that they're advertising a console which- in terms of hardware and use- is crappy.

Now, Blizzard has the word.

In a recent interview with Mike Morhaime(source: http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?artic...d=165005&page=2 ), chief executive of Blizzard, there were also a few interesting things.

Eurogamer: Many people thought, if there was to be a Diablo III, it might appear on consoles too. What is it that's keeping you on PC and off consoles?

Mike Morhaime: Well, PC is the gaming platform with the largest installed base around the world. It's also the platform with the best margins. I think it's a great gaming platform.

Eurogamer: Valve's Gabe Newell said much the same things to us recently.

Mike Morhaime: Yeah, and I agree with a lot of Gabe's comments. I think that it is just completely dead wrong to think about the PC gaming market and conclude that it's a declining market. It is far from declining. If you look at the numbers, there are probably more people playing games on the PC than any other platform. More than there ever have been before. If you look at the revenue, it's also growing. It's only not growing if all you're looking at is PC retail, and even then, I think it's just flat, I don't think it's declining very much.

Let's analyze what Mike just said.

I think that it is just completely dead wrong to think about the PC gaming market and conclude that it's a declining market. It is far from declining. If you look at the numbers, there are probably more people playing games on the PC than any other platform. More than there ever have been before.

And so we can see, that the PC world of gaming is still a big target of the market, the best example here is Street Fighter- series, which started on PC, got to consoles exclusively, and now the newest part is coming back to PC. It's one of the few signs that the PC market is re-living it's great past.

Note: this topic is not to create flame wars between PC gamers and console gamers, I just wanted to give you a third eye's view on what's happening right now.

Better tread lightly here, you's on thin ground!!

Just to pass along word from Charming Charlie, fellow PC gamer you may know...He says MS is halting PC releases in the UK markets to bolster sales of consoles...this is because they also have a stake in their investment to that end. We'll find out how good a plan THAT is, I'm sure!

"It's so dominating already in some territories".

I think you mis-interpreted some of what was said.

Computers arent just used for gaming.

But nice read indeed.

CharmingCharlie

stop posting these damn topics about the PC and wait for the official announcement.

For christ's sake stop making PC topics in the IV section.

There's a general PC gaming discussion topic in Gaming Chat, and I already posted some of these articles there.

Guess what, guys, we have off-topic forums too. And no, you're not going to be 'discussing' IV PC again until there's a tangible announcement because you've wasted all of your, what, five? chances to prove that you could do this in a civil manner.