More pathetic sh*t from EA

Kimd41

So I was browsing Facepunch forums, and I noticed a topic. Now I'm going to quote the post from the topic starter.

With EA's latest technology a new type of SecuROM, people can now install PC games a total of 3 times before SecuROM says f*ck you buy a new copy of the game.

This means if you have a corrupt game you have to reinstall, consuming one of your installs meaning you can install the game 1 more time before you have to buy it again. If you get a new hard drive and need to reinstall, it consumes one of your installation points. Once you've installed that particular copy of the game 3 times, you have to go buy it again.

This technology is started being introduced in the likes of Mass Effect for the PC which is being released soon I believe, and also every other game they release from now on for the PC.

Think that's bad? Get this sh*t...

Not only does SecuROM install on your PC without a word of notice from the installer, it DISABLES YOUR f*ckING FIREWALL. That's right SecuROM disables your firewall while it secretly installs it's sh*t on your PC.

And if you think that's bad...

SecuROM is apparently extremely buggy and EA won't do sh*t to help you if you come across a bug, heres an article taken from simprograms.com

A guy said on the Mass Effect forums - He registered and started to play the game (Activation #1). Well, when he tried to play the game he had strange artifacts on his screen. Thinking it was an OS-related issue, he reinstalled XP and reinstalled the game (Activation #2). Finding out that it didn’t help the problem, he soon figured out it was his graphics card struggling. Well, he bought a brand new card and that solved the problem (this triggers Activation #3). Game ran fine for a short period of time (2 days) and he played thru it and completed the game. Well, a week after that, he decided he wanted to run thru the game again. This is where he stumbles upon this error:

“The game can not start. For security reasons, only a limited number of machines can ever be licensed by a single purchase. This limit has been reached. Please purchase another registration code, reinstall, and then try again.”

There is no doubt that EA will try to include this new version of SecuROM on Spore and possibly The Sims 3….and if it is, we are going to encounter some very serious problems. Heck, I can’t even count the times I had to reinstall the games, upgrade my hardware and reformat…

Yeah you read it correctly, SPORE will have this sh*te technology with it. I'm really getting sick of this sh*t EA slap down on us.

Heres a rundown for you...

If you are a Pirate:

* BAD: You do have the same bugs that those with legal copies have, plus new ones depending on how the cracked copy was programmed.

* GOOD: Unlimited Activations!

* GOOD: No SecuROM to deal with

* GOOD & BAD: It’s free, but illegal

If you are a Legal Customer:

* BAD: Limited to 3 Activations

* BAD: Your computer is plagued with SecuROM

* BAD: Game contains errors and bugs

* GOOD & BAD: You support Maxis by purchasing the game, but you are also supporting EA, and if you support them, you support SecuROM

Which one looks better?

YARRGHH I BE A PIRATE FROM NOW ON!

That's so pathetic EA. I'm not buying any games from EA now, better download them. sarcasm.gif

Aw f*ck hell those bastards are gonna ruin Spore!?!?!?!?! suicidal.gif

I wish I could support Maxis somehow but this is getting in the way if it's true.

*Reserved*YARRGHH I BE A PIRATE FROM NOW ON!*Reserved*

Edited by freak2121

WarburtonsMediumSlice

wont be getting spore unfortunatly, it is a game i would like but this DRM stuff is just awfull. i know companys want to stop piracy but this is just too extreme and will end up pushing more people out of pc gaming into consoles where DRM is non-existant. people say PC gaming is dieing due to piracy, well this is not helping.

EA arn't the first to do sh*t like that. In fact Bioshock had the same thing when it came one and I'm sure everyone knows what Starforce is. I can see it blowing up in their faces just as it did with the other two methods listed to be honest. It is pathetic and a rediculous method of trying to stop piracy.

This is all a little overboard, but I do agree that Secure Rom and Star Force and whatever the hell else they use is a little too blunt an instrument.

I have had no trouble, really, with either of them, but the potential is definitely there. Remember the kid who found out that his copy of Bioshock can only be played on one machine at a time? He loaned it to his brother, but 2K told him he'd have to purchase another registration code.

I don't think this is the best way to deal with piracy, because it doesn't really stop them. All this does is throw a wrench into the second hand game business - is that their intended goal?

What's the point of using this stuff anyway? Pirates'll still find a way around it. Just making it harder for them isn't gunna stop them.

Warez, it's da wave of da futur.

It's laughable when big companies try to do stuff like this, using third party programs that install themselves without your permission. It actually drives people to crack their games even more. Where there's a will, there's a way, and with stuff like this, they create a lot of will.

I won't be pirating anything anytime soon. I stopped pirating a while ago. I haven't illegally downloaded anything in forever now, and I don't plan on starting. But sh*t like this makes me want to, just to give a big middle finger to the f*ckers that try this stuff. By trying to crack down on piracy, they're hurting the actual consumers, and I seriously doubt they'll ever deal with one complaint that comes from the copy protection. I used to be an actual supporter of EA, but over the last few months, sh*t like this keeps happening, and I'm firmly on the 'bandwagon' of EA can die in a fire.

Metal up your ass!

Adam Jensen

Good thing is, in my country you can only buy pirate games tounge.gif

So in words of good ol' Jack Sparrow:"Set the sail to that way direction" wink.gif

This is why you buy stuff off of steam.

WbZaxRP.png

Wait wait wait.

You get 3 activation chances if you buy a legal copy of the game, or if you get a pirate version?

I know wich one's the obvious, i'm just mixed up and wouldn't be suprised if it was the other way around.

Edited by tuareg

jqmqKlq.gif

That's why there are no-cd cracks people. You can buy your game, dl a crack and not worry about that activation BS.

Adam Jensen
That's why there are no-cd cracks people. You can buy your game, dl a crack and not worry about that activation BS.

Nope. When you install it 3 times then you wont be able to install it ever again without a new copy or new registration key. And since you wont be able to install it at all, then no-cd crack wont do any good

KingyThePothead

Not only does SecuROM install on your PC without a word of notice from the installer, it DISABLES YOUR f*ckING FIREWALL. That's right SecuROM disables your firewall while it secretly installs it's sh*t on your PC.

total bollocks! they are not allowed to install anything to your machine without notifying you and asking permission first.

also, it cannot change firewall settings again without you approval, if it does, its as good as a hack and will not be tollerated, or legal!

if it is true, then there would have to be some form of notification/warning on the box.

Edited by KingyThePothead

wont be getting spore unfortunatly, it is a game i would like but this DRM stuff is just awfull. i know companys want to stop piracy but this is just too extreme and will end up pushing more people out of pc gaming into consoles where DRM is non-existant. people say PC gaming is dieing due to piracy, well this is not helping.

I would say piracy is making PC gaming more accessible. People can't walk away from free things, but it is making it seem like creating PC games isn't the way to go. The publishers just want to protect their merchandise, but this is going too far. EA doesn't have too good a track record on PC gaming as it is (besides Sims) their sports games run horribly on the PC and their other games aren't doing too well either. I was thinking of getting Spore but I will probably just Torrent it like everyone else. I also will install a game more tehn once for technical issues and whatnot, I don't see why this securi-bullsh*t has to be put in place.

Vanilla Shake

Well, looks like I'll be passing up on Battlefield 3 whenever it's released.

TC718 / <629 / CF5

NGEh8XV.png

KingyThePothead

well after reading the SecuROM website, it gives no indication that you will only be able to install software a limited number of times.

infact from what they say, this could be a positive thing, as they encript some form of key into the actual CD as it is being made.

whitch, by the looks of things, you can only play the game if the original disk is in place.

SecuROM™ – two strong components create one powerful solution

The SecuROM™ copy protection solution consists of two main components:

* A unique, uncopyable electronic keycode is added to each CD-ROM, DVD-ROM or CD-R during the glass mastering process. Unlike other copy control solutions on the market, the SecuROM keycode is fully within the CD/DVD-ROM specification, thereby ensuring the highest possible compatibility.

* An authentication mechanism verifies the unique SecuROM™ keycode and unlocks the encrypted software/application. The authentication mechanism is entirely key-less, meaning no serial numbers, stickers or artwork modification is required.

The SecuROM™ authentication process is completely transparent to original disc users. If SecuROM™ verifies the disc is an original, the encrypted application starts normally. If SecuROM™ determines that the disc is a copy, the application terminates and a customizable error message is displayed.

SecuROM™ – highest security with best compatibility

SecuROM™ is the only copy control solution that effectively combats all three major piracy threats: digital clones, emulation, and cracks.

* Digital Clones are discs that are copied onto CD-R, DVD-R or hard disk. Also known as 1:1, friendto- friend, or casual copies, digital clones are the most widely used piracy method, and therefore represent the biggest threat to your business. SecuROM™ ensures that only legitimate users who purchase original discs can use your software. SecuROM™ protected applications can only be launched with an original disc, so illegal copies fail.

* Emulation tools are programs designed to bypass copy control solutions. These tools attempt to emulate the keycode required to unlock an encrypted application. The SecuROM™ copy control mechanism consists of several highly developed algorithms that detect emulation tools and prevent them from working, thereby safeguarding your intellectual property.

* Cracks are applications that have been modified to work without the original disc. To create cracks, hackers remove the copy protection from an encrypted application, thereby allowing illegal users to start the application without the original disc. SecuROM™ uses various advanced encryption features to prevent cracks and protect your profits.

High security is pointless without equally high compatibility. Unlike other copy control solutions, SecuROM places as much emphasis on usability as we do on strong protection. This focus gives SecuROM™ the highest compatibility rate in the industry. Please ask your local sales representative for more detailed information.

if this is true, then if you have the original, then you should be able to use it as many times as you want, as its own software can prove its real.

anyways, people better get used to it, this isnt an EA thing *phew*..........

Paris, 11 July 2007 – Today Sony DADC, supply chain service provider for the content industry, and Nexway (formerly Telechargement) announce their new partnership for the protection of digitally distributed video games and software. Nexway will integrate the copy control solution SecuROM by Sony DADC on video games and software for PC distributed digitally through online platforms. As a major international content broadcasting actor, Nexway distributes the products of the principal content creators and editors of the video games and software industry. This agreement allows Nexway to accompany the game studios and publishers with their digital strategy. 

......this is a Sony thing, whitch means its probably not only here to stay, but only gonna get bigger as time goes on!

might be worth changing the OP's title, this isnt EA!

Edited by KingyThePothead

SecuROM has been around for quite a while, and some games do have the limited install bullsh*t implemented. It is pretty stupid as it does not stop the pirating of games, perhaps it slows it down, but by no means are they doing a great deal of damage. If companies would realize that they are not losing any money from piracy, the better off they will be. If they think about it, a person who downloads a game was not going to buy the game in the first place, thus there are no loss of profits. If someone really wants that game, they will buy it especially if it has online multiplayer as it is hard to play on the game's servers with a pirated copy. Although there are private servers for pirated versions of games for people to play on, some people prefer to buy games because the servers provided by the game company are much better and safer, usually. Piracy might actually help the gaming industry as if someone plays a pirated game, but wants more out of it, as in the multiplayer aspect of it, they might just go out and buy the game. Piracy is just given a bad name, but if they sit and think about it, they are not really losing any profits, because people that will download the game never had the intention of actually forking out cold hard cash for their game in the first place.

No matter what they do to the disks, SOMEBODY will find a way around it. They always do. I'll give this system maybe a year if it gets big, 3 if it doesn't. Somebody is going to slip right pass the system and then the Torrent floodgates will open once more.

KingyThePothead

well tbh, i never buy a game without trying it 1st. if i dont like it, i wont buy it, if i do like it, then a buy it as soon as i have the money.

anyways, with online play, unless you want to play a private server and risk your machine being hacked to bits, then you have to buy the original anyways, and with more and more games going online, surely theres no real worry. afterall the ammount of money companys now make in monthly fees, whitch is a reletively new concept for them, must more than make up for moneys lost.

cracked games have been around much longer than mothly fees, and with games like WoW now with over 10million subcribers each paying atleast £8 pound each a month (do the math on that one! ) it gets me why they still worry about cracked games. afterall most cracked games come with virus's, so in the long run your left with more prospective customers all wishing theyd bought the original to start with!

afterall most cracked games come with virus's.

So wrong.

It seems that you are not familiar with pirating, torrents, etc. Most games you download (from trusted torrent sites) come clean like original copies, and sometimes they include no-cd, if not then there are trusted sites for that too. Downloading full games is even easier, than buying them.

Somebody will whip up a crack.

EA doesn't care about piracy, they lost that war long long ago, and know it. What they do now is try and make up by mugging us at every street corner. They know people have been playing games like the sims and sim city for years and years. All off of the same discs, with sometimes dozens of reinstalls. This way they can try and make double or triple the profits off of that core audience, that pay once, and never again.

Spore has a rather significant online portion that would really cripple the game if you don't use it. I'd strongly suggest obtaining that one legally.

Then again, according to a recent story on Kotaku, you'll be banned if your creatures are offensive giant penis monsters, too.

Then again, according to a recent story on Kotaku, you'll be banned if your creatures are offensive giant penis monsters, too.

The creature voting idea was a way to counter this problem, but unfortunately most of the walking sexual organs posted my immature people are voted good by equally immature people, which means someone will have to systematically check all of the creatures.

This creation was made just seconds after I posted this: http://www.spore.com/sporepedia#qry=sast-500002965088

Named Orgasmónica.

Edited by agent17

It's gone! tounge.gif

Seriously, I don't see what the problem is. Penis monsters are rather funny, and immature, but definitely not offensive.

It's gone! tounge.gif

Seriously, I don't see what the problem is. Penis monsters are rather funny, and immature, but definitely not offensive.

Well, in any case I doubt its something a parent would want their innocent kids so have running around on their game.

What's the point of using this stuff anyway? Pirates'll still find a way around it. Just making it harder for them isn't gunna stop them.

Warez, it's da wave of da futur.

WAREZ is f*cking horrible and must be stopped, it's killing CRYTEK for f*cks sake! cry.gif

PC gaming is far from dying, but Game Developers are scared of losing money because of bloody piracy.

Edited by elanman