Secret Satellites Exposed

Jonesizzle

BERKELEY, California -- For most people, photographing something that isn't there might be tough. Not so for Trevor Paglen.

His shots of 189 secret spy satellites are the subject of a new exhibit -- despite the fact that, officially speaking, the satellites don't exist. The Other Night Sky, on display at the University of California at Berkeley Art Museum through September 14, is only a small selection from the 1,500 astrophotographs Paglen has taken thus far.

Source

What the hell? People wonder why other people are so paranoid.

WUDSnYa.png

Hey guys lets rename General Chat "BBC News"

Hahaha, screw you. tounge.gif

I actually think this is super interesting. I'd love to hear what kind of reaction he gets, if any, from the government.

Hahaha, screw you. tounge.gif

I actually think this is super interesting.  I'd love to hear what kind of reaction he gets, if any, from the government.

Photographer: So, what about the Satellites?

Government: What satellites?

Photographer: These ones-

[Turns around to see raging fire]

Hey guys lets rename The Killa "Mini-Mod"

No that would be Digital Evil

Tin Foil brigade anyone?

Most likely highly important communications/positioning satellites deemed too valuable to be public domain knowledge, even more so since a few countries now have anti satellite capabilities.

Edited by TFatseas

icon13.gif

Of course government will deny it. Didn't they deny area 51 for the longest time, even with photographs and satellite photographs. The government is like a 4 year old kid, so god damn hard headed, and when they talk its either bullsh*t or doesn't make sense.

WUDSnYa.png

189? Holy christ.

Time to give Captain Planet a call, this is obviously a coverup for some horrible weapon of mass destruction.

user posted image

mod it with Nitrous Oxide and chassis dyno.

doesntcheatGTA

You can see them flying as little glints in the sky. The spy satellites run north/south I've seen one with the naked eye once.

Where are these pictures anyway?

user posted image

You can see them flying as little glints in the sky. The spy satellites run north/south I've seen one with the naked eye once.

Click source there tiger. Beautiful pictures, really.

WUDSnYa.png

doesntcheatGTA

Click source there tiger. Beautiful pictures, really.

Ah yes... notify.gif

user posted image

Of course government will deny it.

The government will deny it coz they don't want things like these to be exposed in the first place. But I wonder how they planned to keep an operation of this magnitude a secret. Someone was bound to notice it some day.

It's kinda scary to know that we are watched. ph34r.gif

Of course government will deny it.

The government will deny it coz they don't want things like these to be exposed in the first place. But I wonder how they planned to keep an operation of this magnitude a secret. Someone was bound to notice it some day.

It's kinda scary to know that we are watched. ph34r.gif

Yeah, the government is that type of person that acts like they have no f*cking clue what's happening and when you point to them what's behind them they don't look or look to late. I bet if a UFO landing on the whitehouse they would still deny it.

Yup, everyone should know we are being watched. It is scary but we can't do nothing, I've walked outside smoking tree's and nothing happened. (knock on wood)

WUDSnYa.png

189? Holy christ.

Time to give Captain Planet a call, this is obviously a coverup for some horrible weapon of mass destruction.

STAR WARS

This scares me. There is so much that's going on undercover, you don't know that until it's too late.

Unlike you, I can't stand watching the news on the TV (Too many loud ads, etc), so I prefer to have it here.

90FHTZo.png

Photographer Documents Secret Satellites — All 189 of Them

Not so secret anymore, are they?

That is pretty cool how he discovered and photographed them, although I'm sure this will just start habitual harassment from the government, NSA, CIA, FBI and any other federal agency that can be bothered to scare the guy.

[Edit] How can I forget about the NRO harassing him as well... they're pretty much in charge of the satellites.

Edited by Icarus.
clEsyRO.gif

Are you guys saying you've never seen a non-geostationary satellite with the naked eye before? All you gotta do is stargaze for about 30 minutes and you're almost guaranteed to see one. They just look like moving stars. Of course, geostationary ones are impossible to make out with the naked eye due to the fact they're geostationary...they don't appear to move, thus just look like stars.

I think I may have seen one this one time but I swear that was a shooting star. Anyway, where the hell is my tin foil hat? They can't read ya minds when ya wear those. moto_whistle.gif

I think I may have seen one this one time but I swear that was a shooting star. Anyway, where the hell is my tin foil hat? They can't read ya minds when ya wear those. moto_whistle.gif

Shooting stars are brighter, MUCH faster and die out after a few seconds. A satellite looks as bright as a star (roughly), doesn't die out, and moves comparatively a lot slower. I'd say over a minute to traverse from one horizon to the other.

Too bad we can't get clear shots of all of those stealth equipped satellites. These so called "Spy Satellites" are actually decoys.

Effy in Chains

This doesn't surprise me in the slightest, in fact I bet there are far more than 189 secret spy satellites up there.

Zs936OL.gif

Are you guys saying you've never seen a non-geostationary satellite with the naked eye before? All you gotta do is stargaze for about 30 minutes and you're almost guaranteed to see one. They just look like moving stars. Of course, geostationary ones are impossible to make out with the naked eye due to the fact they're geostationary...they don't appear to move, thus just look like stars.

Yeh but how many people actually do that?

I do, I'm afraid to say. Et voila.

In honesty I don't think many people do actually stargaze.

It summin I rarely do, just tend to do on holiday. I tell you what's nice, if you've got an outdoor private pool, get a lilo, lie on it, and just stare up. Really relaxing. Just be careful, the waters probably a wee on the chilly side by then. Heheh.

The only time I've ever done it was last winter as it's something to do on those long winter nights. Summer it's pointless, it doesn't get dark til late and well it's summer, other things to do. I've never considered doing it on holiday before, I think i'll try it this year, away from the lights.

doesntcheatGTA

Photographer Documents Secret Satellites — All 189 of Them

Not so secret anymore, are they?

They never were... sarcasm.gif

user posted image

I've been stargazing the past couple months every night (if it isn't cloudy) and just staring at the sky for a couple of minutes or even a hour or two. I haven't seen something like this but I have seen a moving star (what seemed like a far distant star moving) and a shooting star.

WUDSnYa.png

Yeh but how many people actually do that?

I do, I'm afraid to say. Et voila.

I do every chance I get, I'm always outside during the night. Although most of the time my view of the night sky is obstructed by the permanent cloud I have above my house.

doesntcheatGTA

I've been stargazing the past couple months every night (if it isn't cloudy) and just staring at the sky for a couple of minutes or even a hour or two. I haven't seen something like this but I have seen a moving star (what seemed like a far distant star moving) and a shooting star.

The "moving star" you saw was a satellite. Stars don't move...(at least not visibly to the naked eye). Satellites just look like stars because the suns light reflects on the solar panels.

user posted image