3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

2. Support

1. Court House
    3. Suggestions

[Guru3D]nVidia's new cards reviewed.

Democrab

Welcome to today's introduction of the GeForce GTX 200 release. The long awaited successors of the GeForce series 8 generation architecture is finally here, with one keyword: loads of additional transistors.

Specifically two new products are being released today: GeForce GTX 260 and 280.

Yeah the rumor was right ... 1.4 frickin' Billion transistors slapped onto a silicon -- quite amazing! I guess NVIDIAs one billion dollars a year investments on R&D shows off today. Weirdly enough it's also the day that NVIDIA decided to go strong on something else than gaming. They call it their 'GPU and Beyond' approach. In short wording, they want you guys to be very aware of the fact that the good old GeForce series graphics card is more than a piece of machinery to only play games with. And that's true ...  we see more and more features merged into the graphics card and they broaden that PC experience we all so much love. Today we'll actually show you some very interesting examples of that, yet obviously we will go a little deeper into the architecture and fire of a dozen or two games at the product as well. And yes, we finally found a product that can play Crysis at a decent resolution with high-image quality settings.

Source.

Seems a pretty good card, but the price turns me off, I'll probably get a HD4850 instead.

Been playing on 9800 GX2s for a while now, and even those are f*cking amazing..

Yeah, I'm getting that P45 mATX DFI motherboard, modding a mATX case, getting a HD4850 and a full watercooling setup for my rig.

ATI cards have a better and clearer image, kinda deeper and more realistic. Even if nVidia cards are superior I would still choose ATI card over any nVidia any time

Well, I checked out the article mainly to see how it handles Crysis, hoping to God that they'd test this card with EVERYTHING on max, but no, same old thing, NO AA! Why can't they test a card as powerful as this with AA on the highest resolution possible with everything on max?

Okay, my rant is over.

The card however seems awesome, I'd love to have some of these in quad SLI biggrin.gif. Or why not quad SLI with dual core editions of these cards (if nVidia releases 'em), now that would be some monstrous performance wow.gif!

Even if nVidia cards are superior I would still choose ATI card over any nVidia any time

Yes, it does make sense to go with lower performing cards at a similar price.... dontgetit.gif

Anyways, the tech guy at work mentioned something about GT200's (would help if I new there's an X in there, lol), couldn't find much information on it.

Will need to see more info and specs on these cards until I can really make a decision about them.

The cards are essentially more of the old tech packed onto a larger die. They went from 128 to 240 ALU clusters but that's about it. The architecture is mostly the same even though they claimed '50% performance improvement' for the shaders.

I'd say they are definitely not worth the price points they're forking them at right now. I'd wait for the 55nm die shrink and some price drops.

They'll have to drop the price once the 4870 and 4870X2 arrive, they'll be much more attractive for consumers and may even beat these at raw performance as well.

I agree with Jallar, unless ATI screw up majorly in some way (a common thing for them), the 4870 and 4870X2 could be the revival for ATI and the competition would be much more intense between the two.

I just hope that ATI doesn't screw up, I've been waiting for a card from them to beat nVidia's offerings by a large marging, hopefully the new cards will do it.

Would be cool if I could afford it, but really the only game I would want something this awesome to run is Crysis, and it's not very impressive with Crysis, my 8800GT will be more than enough until a more affordable upgrade that's worthwhile shows up.

Well, I've heard a rumor that the HD3870 and possibly the x2 can be put in Crossfire with the HD4870 and HD4850, so if that's true, ATI should be able to get a LOT of marketshare.

Also, the HD4850 seems like a very good card.

Well, I've heard a rumor that the HD3870 and possibly the x2 can be put in Crossfire with the HD4870 and HD4850, so if that's true, ATI should be able to get a LOT of marketshare.

Nobody with a brain buys two graphics cards. What, 10-15% speed increase or something? Okay..

Nobody with a brain buys two graphics cards. What, 10-15% speed increase or something? Okay..

As long as you're playing at higher resolutions the gains are actually more between 50 and 80%. Given the price of mid-range cards it's actually a viable option for a lot of people.

Also,

http://news.softpedia.com/news/ATI-039-s-H...870-88332.shtml

Well I'm not satisfied until they come out with a GPU that can run Crysis Very High 2560x1600 8xAF 8xAA no less than 60fps wink.gif .

Wow . . .

With price tags estimated at $650 for the GTX 280 cards and $400 for the GTX 260 cards

Lol Im using my old profile for no apparent reason cool.gif

Anyways these card should be able to blow away crysis on any setting. 1.4 billion transistors.

The GTX 280 and 260 both support Nvidia's new HybridPower feature. If you plug them into a supporting nForce motherboard with integrated graphics, you can power-off the card entirely when you're just tooling around on your desktop, and power up the card only when you have 3D game running

Pretty goddam cool if you ask me.

Ohh sh*t I was wrong

user posted image

Guess they still cant beat Crysis.

Edited by GTA_Hacker

SLI gains about 10-15%, Crossfire scales way better, even on a lowish res, it can let you turn the details right up with a couple slow cards and still get 60fps, besides, if I can get a cheap second hand HD3870 off eBay, that's a cheap performance upgrade, isn't it?