4. Debates & Discussion
    1. News

2. Forum Support

3. Site Suggestions

Sign in to follow this  
blitsbebop

Why can't the next Grand Theft Auto

Darvinho
The big problem with using london as a location is the lack of armed police. You would be running around shooting peds with guns bought of gangsters and the police would turn up with pepper spray to try and stop you.

Not really a problem, no guns at 1 star would be fine: mace, billy-clubs and tazers. 2 stars hand guns. 3 stars SMG's, 4 stars AK's/M4 Carbine, etc. Very little difference between GTA IV. Buying guns from car trunks and back street dealers, sight?

Yeah and in the UK when there is serious armed crime then the police do turn up with MP5s.

Slamman
They don't drive the streets of London if Edinburgh is  S C O T L A N D!!

I think he was more referring to driving on the left hand side of the road.

OR driving on that side of the car's interior. But I am referring to Rockstar North's primary office because Dan or Sam would most likely reside there or in NYC on their trips. I would suspect in Cali too at some time. I doubt they make the rounds to ALL the Rockstar branches, much less drive around their streets. They'd be taking Taxis, limos and planes! haha

nealmac

But left hand / right hand drive is immaterial in gta, since we don't have a drivers eye view.

Guanxi

The big problem with using london as a location is the lack of armed police. You would be running around shooting peds with guns bought of gangsters and the police would turn up with pepper spray to try and stop you.

Not really a problem, no guns at 1 star would be fine: mace, billy-clubs and tazers. 2 stars hand guns. 3 stars SMG's, 4 stars AK's/M4 Carbine, etc. Very little difference between GTA IV. Buying guns from car trunks and back street dealers, sight?

Yeah and in the UK when there is serious armed crime then the police do turn up with MP5s.

Your being very naive some of you. London has the same capacity to deal with organized crime as any other major global city. It's all relative to elevated threat level presented by the perp. If you walk down covent garden with an AK expect armored vehicles and a task force with equivalent caliber weaponry. Look at how quick they were to respond to that brazilian tourist they thought was a terrorist. The swarmed the underground with assault rifles and full body armor much like Three Leaf Clover and that was for one unarmed guy.

Edited by Guanxi

Slamman
But left hand / right hand drive is immaterial in gta, since we don't have a drivers eye view.

You can see inside views from the windscreen, it might feel off either way. I know it's not a big concern... not to me! I am not a fan of tired location settings that's why I prefer an all new one on the top of my list. New characters, new jokes! etc.

motorforum

London is a boring hell-hole. Just about perfect for the Getaway.

how is london borng? do you live in a hole mate

One nice touristy area, the sort of activities that cost lots to do, decent landscapes are miles out of the city, you can't drive very far without being caught in congestion, you get charged for that congestion, the air is so horrid compared to the clean air in the South West that I leave with a sore, groggy throat every time I've been there and it's as violent as you could ever expect Britain to be. Yeah, lovely place. Just what do those who can't afford to comfortably live in London do, as I hear it's great for going to the theatre/Michelin star restaurants and film premieres. rolleyes.gif

Guanxi

You can see inside views from the windscreen, it might feel off either way. I know it's not a big concern... not to me! I am not a fan of tired location settings that's why I prefer an all new one on the top of my list. New characters, new jokes! etc.

I'm sure they could change the default position of the camera angle whilst driving to make it more intuitive. They may even make serious improvement to vehicle handling and the control scheme. God forbid, you never know, you may be more suited to driving on the "other" side of the road. The drivers seat is still in the middle of the road so what difference does it make. It's not like you've never made a left turn before, unless you live on a "roundabout" ha ha... you don't even know what that means.

brewhead17
Why can't the next Grand Theft Auto, Be set in London, England

They won't do it because it's not noraml traffic (I mean control wheen is on right). It will be hard to play...

Oh boohoo. Us brits, aussies and irish magange to cope driving on the other side in gta games, so im sure anyone else with half a brain cell could too. Stop being pathetic.

Raptomex

It would be interesting to go to another country but I don't know if it would have the same feel. I still say they should try Hawaii.

Amunication
I prefer it not to be out of America, but Sydney would seem pretty damn good

I would love that too, mostly because I don't like people from Sydney (they're jerks) I'd love to go on a rampage and run some of them over in a car, I'd even do that in the game too. lol.gif

motorforum
Why can't the next Grand Theft Auto, Be set in London, England

They won't do it because it's not noraml traffic (I mean control wheen is on right). It will be hard to play...

Oh boohoo. Us brits, aussies and irish magange to cope driving on the other side in gta games, so im sure anyone else with half a brain cell could too. Stop being pathetic.

It's just such a non-issue that I've never even stopped to think 'hey ma, look at me! I'm driving on the right!'

Algonquin Bridge

And I dont want to play the getaway .

Did you even read my post? It won't be The Getaway. In fact, here's a quote from the Aforementioned Medallion Man's London Dossier.

Some poor fools state that a GTA based around London would ‘suck’ because it would “be just like The Getaway” which ‘sucks’.

This is nonsense.

Really, there is no logical reasoning behind this statement at all, it is completely false and slightly retarded.

A GTA based around London would neither be “just like The Getaway” nor ‘suck’ because of it.

Why?

Well first of all The Getaway has nothing at all to do with Grand Theft Auto.

The two games are made by completely different companies which are in no way related to each other.

Grand Theft Auto is made by Rockstar North.

The Getaway is made by Team Soho.

R* games is in no way related to Team Soho, who made The Getaway.

R* games had nothing to do whatsoever with the making of The Getaway.

Team Soho have nothing to do whatsoever with the making of GTA.

Again The Getaway has no bearing whatsoever on the outcome of a GTA set in London.

A GTA set in a London inspired city would be to The Getaway as True Crimes:Streets of L.A is to San Andreas, they may be based on the same location but they are totally different games made by completely different companies.

The Getaways London is dead a GTA London would be alive and kicking.

As to why The Getaway ‘sucks’, is it because the game is set in London and London inherently ‘sucks’?

NO.

The Getaway ‘sucks’ because it is not GTA.

The Getaway ‘sucks’ because it is a poorly crafted game.

The Getaway ‘sucks’ because it is realistic, because its streets are over congested and thus frustrating to drive around in. Imagine for a moment if SA adhered to reality and Los Santos’s freeways were congested to mimic those of Los Angeles (the city LS represents), that would ‘suck’. The Getaway ‘sucks’ because every time you crash your car, which happens often because of the over congested roads, the car is realistically damaged and you have to get another one. The Getaway ‘sucks’ because every time you run a red light or crash or disobey the road rules you are chased by police.

The Getaway ‘sucks’ because its version of London is a thin facade, there is nothing beyond the pixelated fronts of the cities buildings. The Getaways city has not been crafted as well as those of Grand Theft Auto, it lacks the level of interaction, in unique jumps, enterable buildings, people or general points of interest.

The Getaway ‘sucks’ because its inhabitants are bland automatons that lack the character of those of GTA cities.

The Getaway ‘sucks’ because its city is not really a crucial part of the game as the cities of GTA are, it is lifeless and uninteractive, it is just the backdrop for the story, not intrinsically a part of it.

The Getaway ‘sucks’ because its controls are unintuitive and clunky, both in car and on foot.

The Getaway ‘sucks’ because every time you get shot you have to lean up against a wall for five minutes to replenish your health while your enemies continue to shoot you and the game drags along.

The Getaway ‘sucks’ because it has no replay value.

The Getaway ‘sucks’ because it is not GTA and was not made by Rockstar games.

Though personally I do not agree entirely that The Getaway ’sucks’, I feel that it is merely a totally ordinary game that is a let down because it is nothing like GTA. I personally believe that The Getaway is a far better game than True Crime: Streets of L.A which ‘sucked hard’ and was the most unfortunate waste of time and money I have ever made in my life. However my hatred of True Crime: L.A did not blunt my enjoyment of a GTA based around L.A and California, nor would your hatred of The Getaway blunt yours of a GTA based around London.

For your reading enjoyment, The London Dossier. Read It.

TT1987

GTA in Europe wouldn't work because everybody speaks french in that country.

Edited by TT1987

Barack Obama

Next gta in USA

Edited by Barack Obama

Damo.

Seriously, what's the f*cking obsession with London?

GTA will probably never leave America, so no London.

brewhead17

What do you mean everybody speaks french? They only speak french in france. duh, europe is a continent not a country.

TT1987

What do you mean everybody speaks french? They only speak french in france. duh, europe is a continent not a country.

I'm not good at biology sorry.

Horatio Humboldt

Erm... and Belgium.

GTA London? No thank you, GTA Newcastle, now you are talking!

Edited by Horatio Humboldt

Slamman

And I dont want to play the getaway .

Did you even read my post? It won't be The Getaway. In fact, here's a quote from the Aforementioned Medallion Man's London Dossier.

Some poor fools state that a GTA based around London would ‘suck’ because it would “be just like The Getaway” which ‘sucks’.

This is nonsense.

...... nor would your hatred of The Getaway blunt yours of a GTA based around London.

For your reading enjoyment, The London Dossier. Read It.

Medallion Man got banned for his actions IIRC. I would tell ya, straight up, I bought The Getaway but found it hard to get a master of the controls but it had some nice points to it. I never bought it's sequel but I never heard people putting it down. You'll note there is no True Grime adverts in GTA4. No outright pick on the competition. I think Sam and Dan Houser don't let it bother them in the least. They are likely glad to see it. Fact is George Lucas made Star Wars for himself, sure, but he's said it enough in the press you should ALSO know, he wanted people to make movies like it so he could enjoy them! He had that plan all along. Making a genre breaking game like GTA has that same inspirational effect. The more they may slip, the more the competition may make up for it... No one can deny that.

Sam Houser said the series can evolve to outside the USA but there are no immediate plans for that so don't count on it with the next few games.

Edited by Slamman

N.I.D.A.L

how about chicago or remake san andreas

sandstormx

I say Gta: Manchester, you play as kent paul and visit places such as chorlton (as mentioned in SA). Seriously though GTA in the north, with say 3 major cities would be better, similar to san andreas, just with more rain and without a desert.

Guanxi

I'm not good at biology sorry.

The funniest thing I've read all day. biggrin.gif

TLM1975

They could go back to Florida, only further south.

Imagine driving down A1A in a 4 star police chase!

and stealing a plane in the keys, and flying to cuba!

London could be alright, but the accents and

the slang could alienate some people.

mercie_blink.gif

Bawjaws

had to delete my first post, now i dont have anything else to say,... er. Glasgow?

Edited by Bawjaws

ViceCityNative4Life
No reason why not. Its just some people seem to think Britain is a crime free utopia, where everone lives in mansions and just sits around drinking tea, saying "tally ho old chap". sarcasm.gif

Stereotypes = FAIL

As I said on another topic about this, I think it mostly has to do with the layouts of the cities. It's not because Britian is boring and hardly has crime, its just that american cities are much more easier to recreate for the game, than cities in the other countries. Most of the american cities have specific landmarks that can be put into the game to give the player the feeling that they are in, say NY, when in fact the city is called Liberty City. The player will recognize the statue of liberty, the empire state building, the chrysler building, and times square, even though they are not called that in the game. The cities are also generally laid out in grid patterns, like NY, LA, SF, Chicago, and many others, to make them easier to re-create. smile.gif

AdamDW

GTA england would suck, "YAY lets drive my car down the one way street, oh hello officer, why no, i dont want to pay to come into your shi*ty city go away...."

yawn, keep it in America, lets go back to Florida or Atlanta that would be fun, so would Chicago smile.gif

edit: if i had to have it in england, it would be up north in 3 cities;

Derby(home town)

Nottingham(englands version of Compton!)

Birmingham as there accents are funny and it would be fun to drive around and jump off the Bull Ring shopping centre !!!

Edited by AdamDW

Raindancer

I thought when people were younger there minds were more open to different experiences, I f*cking got that wrong.

It's like meeting a girl and never f*cking anyone else. it gets boring after a short while. Why some of you numpties don't want to take a chance is beyond me.

Oh look it's the 35th version of San Andreas, I really hope they make Vice City for a 15th time. BOLLOCKS

nealmac

I'm not saying I don't fancy a change. I'm just saying I don't like London as a city.

Ph3L1z14n0

People don't realize that in essence, GTA is about american culture, not about world culture, it wouldn't be the same if it was set in other places.

Raindancer

People don't realize that in essence, GTA is about american culture, not about world culture, it wouldn't be the same if it was set in other places.

No it's about taking the piss out of the American culture