What People Seem To Forget

MarkJung

I'll admit I haven't read EVERY single post in every topic that's been created, so if someone has discussed this already, so be it.

I remember reading articles/interviews where creators of this game (Sam/Dan Houser) specifically said that this game is the next real GTA after GTA3, hence the name GTA4. So why are so many people comparing this game to SA and VC?

The way I'm understanding the creators comments is that they went back, looked at what they made with GTA3 and said "how can we make this better for next-gen consoles?". If you compare GTA3 to GTA4 with a relatively non-biased opinion, you can really see just how R* has advanced their ability to create a decent game.

Aside from GTA4, GTA3 was probably the only other game in the series that really had a sort of "dark" storyline to it. What with the setting and the feel of the city and the storyline. VC and SA were more of a copycat of 80's and 90's pop culture. VC clearly copied Scarface and SA copied Boys in The Hood. However GTA3 and GTA4 were, for the most part, completely original ideas and storylines, with a darker tone added in.

I just don't understand how people can compare GTA4 to SA and think it's justified. I'm not saying GTA4 is perfect, it certainly isn't a 10/10 (I'm not qualified to distinguish exactly what the grade would be so I won't post my ??/10 grade). I do think there are flaws with this new game (whether it be what's left to do after the main story, or minor technical/gameplay issues), but when you compare it to what R* offered with GTA3, it's unbelievable what they've accomplished. I don't need to go over every detail as we all know what's in this new game.

So, next time you think of posting a comparison between this game and another GTA, make sure its compared to the game where it got its influence from: GTA3.

Feel free to comment/flame/whatever. your posts, whether positive or negative, won't change my opinion and thoughts about this.

GTAaddictforever

that's great and all

but why is GTA 3 more fun to play than GTA 4 is?

im talking about the storyline missions and the feel to the game.

I'm sick of you. You don't offer anything but moaning. If your intent is NOT to be a jerk in winding up GTA fans, then I must say your existence is a pathetic one. Sitting on a forum devoted to a game you don't like, and whining about how awful it is. How you can expect to be tolerated here is beyond me.

Having an opinion is one thing. Constantly ramming it down everyone's throats until the end of time is another. So I, right here, right now, am establishing this as the official end to your time here. Be gone.

I guess that's a matter of taste and opinion.

I love the revamped car handling and gently improved aiming and cover system.

Not sure what their justification was in defaulting full-tilt stick to walk only, instead of a light jog, but I can cope with it. The missions in IV take III simply on account of no ridiculous timed challenges that succeed or fail on luck primarily.

Everything taken together, GTAIV is GTAIII on speed and adrenaline.

I'll take IV. But I also agree that IV seems like a re-boot of the series proper. Get the basic mechanics nailed first time around. Pile in the extras as they get more comfy with the new tech and optimize it further.

Edited by unoleian

Tony Mozzarelli 80

And this comment, whether it be by Sam Houser or in fact Jesus himself,

does not alter the fact that Vice City and San Andreas did in fact exist

and cannot just be wiped from people's memories

Harwood Butch3r

Absolutely agree.

I often see people say how it's too similar to GTA III. Well this is the effect R* were looking for.

RimsLookLikeCocaCola

You cant say GTA 4 is like 3 because 3 had hydraulics which 4 dont have or unless I have been under a rock and hydraulics stop being made so thats why I hate that whole 'first GTA on next gen' or 'GTA III Next gen' bullsh!t.

Another thing that would be great is the whole Diablo Stallion from GTA III sound.

Currently have 10 cookies

Member of MAHFSWWM and The Society of the Black Spot.

FrozenFire
that's great and all

That's your opinion, so we can't exactly answer you.

I honestly don't know anyone who thinks III is more fun. Especially not me.

that's great and all

Haha that's a good question. Maybe becuase when GTA3 came out, it truly was a new way of making a videogame. The 3d interactive environment, more immersive storyline, free roam/sandbox style of play. When all those features were introduced, it was mind-blowing, and as a gamer an experience i wouldn't soon forget. GTA4 is all of those things, but just improved upon, so maybe people have become desensitized to that sort of gameplay style? When you break it down, Gta4 really is GTA3, except a different character/storyline, and improved features. Of course that's comparing it on a VERY basic level

Again, just my thoughts. I don't know the real answer as to why people feel the older games are more fun.

And this comment, whether it be by Sam Houser or in fact Jesus himself,

does not alter the fact that Vice City and San Andreas did in fact exist

and cannot just be wiped from people's memories

Agreed. I do wish this game had a few more features, and hopefully they'll be added in the DLC. As for the storyline though, i think they wanted it to be comparable to GTA3, which was more serious than VC or SA. That's not to say VC or SA weren't fun, becuase they both were extremely enjoyable for a long time (and still are).

wretlingrock392
that's great and all

and u call your self an addict u disgrase me