[GMax] GTA3 Modelling Bugs

Zom-B

Hey guys, for a while now i've been trying to figure out Gmax and create some custom GTA3 player models. I've made quite a lot of progress and i'm very nearly there, I just need help fixing a few issues.

My first "project" is using the head and hands from Claude's Xbox player model, on the PC model. For this I simply cut them out and put them on the normal player.dff.

I managed to get the model into Milkshape, a piece of software that i'm familiar with, and remade the UV map.

user posted image

Looks fine in the skin selection, but it's really jumbled up in game! I can't figure out why. Any ideas?

user posted image

user posted image

Edited by Zom-B

Wow, that's odd. I can't really help you because I don't know anything about GTA3 modding, but I'll see if I can find someone who does.

Cheers. I really can't figure out why it's happening, i've tried exporting the model from GMax and Zmodeler v1.07b and both give the same result.

I had the idea of setting that little "player" ball thing that's inside every GTA3 model to "hidden" and exporting again.

user posted image

Just made things worse.. I really don't understand why this is happening.

[link removed, obsolete]

Edited by Zom-B

user posted image

It's weird but funny, sorry. Now, i have some experience Rigging and making peds, here are some things you may need to look at:

1.- Your Ped/player by default is imported with a skin modifier, no matter how are you trying to modify a ped, you will always need to put a new Skin modifier.

2.- Hierarchy, i only worked one time with Catalina's model, and i know that GTA III are composed of parts and hierarchies, if you will include a new set of hands you may also need to put them in the respective place inside Claude's hierarchy.

3.- IFP's, as you may know, IFP's are animation files, something that i do is import a set of animations, PED.ifp (well i used that one over VC) important for you to use the IFP of the game you are actually handling. Once you have some considerable percentage of you character rigged, it's good idea to apply a common animation like walking or sprinting, so that way you will have an inmediate preview without getting in and out from the game

4.- 3D Studio and G Max are very tolerant with errors at the moment of testing-modeling, so even when you may have good result over your work with one of these tools, the game could make some weir effects, like the funny dismembered Claude, so all it's about of testing and trying.

5.- Bones, it's also a good idea to use the default bones that your ped/player comes with at the time of importing.

6.- Vertexes, it could be posible for you to make the biggest mistake at the time of rigging, leave some vertex without bone assignated, so to avoid that, at the merely start of your rigging , select all the vertexes and link them to a common bone, like the pelvis or spine, so that way, if you forgot some of those lone-riders periods, it'll be not so troubling cause it'll be already assigned to a bone.

I don't really know what else i can tell you, the rest is experience i guess, good look with your Claude

Cheers for the info, I understand what you mean about the hierarchy, but I made sure that it was all set up correctly, it should be the same in the .dff I uploaded. Took me a while to figure out how to do in Gmax, turns out you just press "H" and use the linking tool.

I'll post the steps I take to make the model below.

• Open up Gmax v1.2.

Use Kam's DFF IO script to import the GTA 3 player.dff.

Rename the head and hands from Shead etc. to Shead2 etc.

Merge the file with the Xbox head and hands from a seperate gmax file.

Align the head and hands with the original, then delete the old ones.

Open up the hierarchy and arrange the body parts in the same order as the original player.dff.

Select the entire model, then click "GTA3" on Kam's DFF IO script.

Select only "UV" and leave "MMC", "Nor" and "VCol" unselected, seeing as I don't know what they do.

Click "Export DFF" then open the listener window.

Use "GMaxSLGRAB.exe" from Kam's Scripts folder to save the code as player.txt in the same folder as Kam's T2B.exe.

Open up player.txt and delete the top and bottom <snoop> lines, as T2B doesn't work unless you do.

Open up the command prompt, and move to the directory with T2B.exe and the player.txt.

Type in 'T2B "player.txt" "player.dff"', thus creating the new .dff file.

Replace the player.dff in gta3.img, and place the texture in the skins directory.

Looks fine in the skin selection, but jumbled in game. Is there something i'm missing? Seeing as there's no tutorials it's hard to tell. Edited by Zom-B

Cheers for the info, I understand what you mean about the hierarchy, but I made sure that it was all set up correctly, it should be the same in the .dff I uploaded. Took me a while to figure out how to do in Gmax, turns out you just press "H" and use the linking tool.blabla bla

certainly there are tutorials, but these tutorials are for exporting your peds, so they assume that you already know how "model rigging" works, cause it's part of the 3D animation world, i now remember some little details:

1.-Use the modeling helper of kams and record the actual hierarchy of you Claude (the default Claude, not your customized one) and then delete all the hierarchy, this way every move you do will be legal and it will no affect parent or child parts of your claude.

2.-Pivot, it's very important, as VC and SA are a single mesh for every ped, the main pivot is located at X,0 Y,0 Z,0 but in III every part of the composed body has it own pivot, it's very very important (and this may be causing you the problem) that you try to make the same pivot location for your replacement.

3.- A TRICK!!! don't delete original parts of your Claude, in place of that, you can actually use the "attach" option to replace the old hand with the new hand, easy to do but surelly tricky, inside your hand mesh, select the "Vertex Selection" and move all the vertext of your original hand "CTRL + A", move them away but not so far from your view, then attach your custom hand, if there are any material problem you can apply the material you are using before attach (nevertheless, the old mesh will go anyway) so never mind if the old mesh look weird, after "attach" you custom hand inside the original, delete the old hand inside your mesh, so that the only object in the mesh left is your hand (XBox Hand),

this way you can keep the right pivot and proportion of the mesh and the only thing you may have to do is put (modify inside your mesh always, don't move the entire object, go inside your mesh and select vertexes or faces, but the main idea is moving the faces without affect the original pivot (also in the panel is a similar option, but i tell you this way to work more comfortably) you can work this way every object you want to replace

4.- for the last i can think now is X-Form modifier, it is important that you always follow this steps after you have deleted the hierarchy (delete de hierarchy, no the objects) so every change you do will work only over the part you are working on, not the parent nor the child, after you are very sure and pleased with all your replacements, apply the "Reset X-Form" or "X-form" modifier from your panel, this way all your changes will be converted as a "default state" of every component of Claude's body, then you can apply the hierarchy again and start rigging.

Now i'm really out of ideas, also some of the buttons you leave unpressed at the time to export are just ignored for PED, so never mind anyway if you leave the default ones on.

I don't know how to do it in max,

but in Zmodeler 1.7b that problem was caused by the axis of the body parts.

The axis need to be in the same position as those in the original parts. wink.gif

The axis eh? Alright, groovy.

I think i've figured it out for GMax, flipped the UV map the right way up too. Thanks very much for your help "H13N.H3N", and "TripleAs". I'll be sure to credit you for every GTA 3 model I make. cookie.gif

Edited by Zom-B

OMFG EDIT

It works! It actually works!

Ah, thank you so much. I just needed to align the axis and rotate them in the same way as the original player.dff.

Thanks everyone, now i've conquered Max Payne modelling and GTA 3 modelling! Expect to see the Xbox Claude uploaded soon in the Mod Showroom.

biggrin.gif

Edited by Zom-B

OMFG EDIT

It works! It actually works!

Ah, thank you so much. I just needed to align the axis and rotate them in the same way as the original player.dff.

Thanks everyone, now i've conquered Max Payne modelling and GTA 3 modelling! Expect to see the Xbox Claude uploaded soon in the Mod Showroom.

biggrin.gif

Congratulations pal, as i told you before, all you need is practice.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm back again.. sigh.gif

Everything's going well now, except for head models. At first I thought you simply can't replace the playerh.dff (or any head model for that matter) in the game since Gmax can only export one heirarchy, and putting the bones and model in the same heirarchy doesn't work either.

That was until I downloaded a few custom models by gtadude1, who is now banned. I noticed in this one, it has a custom playerh.dff. Unfortunately, I don't have a way to contact him so i'm pretty stumped. Does anyone here know of a specific way to export a playerh.dff? I've tried a whole bunch of tricks but the result is always the same, the game crashes when a cutscene is triggered.

Sorry to revive the thread, I know you thought you had gotten rid of me! biggrin.gif

• 3 weeks later...
Bump!

Please help me out guys and girls, I know this is possible. smile.gif

Long time no see ya' pal!, t's possible as you say, but you will have to mess with "Multiclump" wich i don't know how to handle right, i asked too for help and looked for tuts, but still no luck, i'm sorry i can't help you this time =(

----------------

Now playing: Kid Frost - La Raza

via FoxyTunes

• 1 year later...