Mr.Brooks

DemonKing

Yeah So I watched this film today.

I thought it was pretty good, I liked American Psycho, So this was similar in basic plot and I thought it was a good film.

Costner pulls off a believable role as Mr.Brooks, Making you think he is a structured serial killer and not just some cheesy actor trying to be one.

The film is quite stuffed full of sub-plots and surprises, But unlike the critics I actually thought they went well in the film, giving it a lot of action so there wasn't really a dull moment.

According to costner, this is the first in a Trilogy of films, so Expect more to come.

More Info

I watched the film recently and found it a little dull. To be honest, the only thing I thought it had in common with American Psycho was the fact the main character was a serial killer. It lacked wit and sharpness, plus it had Dane Cook in it -- a man I loathe.

I could see how some people could like the film, but it wasn't for me.

vbSWr1A.gif

I watched the film recently and found it a little dull. To be honest, the only thing I thought it had in common with American Psycho was the fact the main character was a serial killer. It lacked wit and sharpness, plus it had Dane Cook in it -- a man I loathe.

I could see how some people could like the film, but it wasn't for me.

Well In similarity I meant that Both Mr.Brooks and Patrick Bateman can't stop their massacres.

I thought the guy who pulled off Mr.Brooks alter Ego was pretty good.

You guys do realize that Jason Bateman from American Psycho isnt really a serial killer and is just a pervert imagining doing awful things... Right? Its like The Secret Life of Walter Mitty except Batmeman is obviously disturbed and evil.

You guys do realize that Jason Bateman from American Psycho isnt really a serial killer and is just a pervert imagining doing awful things... Right?  Its like The Secret Life of Walter Mitty except Batmeman is obviously disturbed and evil.

After reading the novel, I would tend to disagree. It is a commonly held misconception that the murders were actually fantasies, but:

Bret Easton Ellis, the author of the original book, argues that if none of the murders actually happened, that the entire point of the novel would be rendered moot.

and:

Director Mary Harron (in a Charlie Rose interview) and co-screenwriter Guinevere Turner (in the DVD commentary) have both stated explicitly that the murders were in fact real. They consider it a major failure of the film that viewers are confused by this point.

So, yes. Bateman is a serial killer.

Edit: And as demonking has said, it is actually Patrick. Jason Bateman was the lead actor in Arrested Development.

Edited by makeshyft

vbSWr1A.gif

You guys do realize that Jason Bateman from American Psycho isnt really a serial killer and is just a pervert imagining doing awful things... Right? Its like The Secret Life of Walter Mitty except Batmeman is obviously disturbed and evil.

Who's Jason?

Anyway as Makeshyft just said, the murders are in fact real.

If you wish more references to Patrick Bateman go watch The Rules of Attraction.

But anyway, this isn't really a thread to discuss American Psycho.

No way is it supposed to be real. The book isnt really like the movie. And even if the author says that it being in his mind would render the point of the book moot doesnt mean that it wasnt intended to be that way. Exploding cop cars? ATM's asking to feed them kittens? Its meant to be the guy going nuts and imagining the whole thing. Lol Jason Bateman! My bad!

No way is it supposed to be real. The book isnt really like the movie. And even if the author says that it being in his mind would render the point of the book moot doesnt mean that it wasnt intended to be that way. Exploding cop cars? ATM's asking to feed them kittens? Its meant to be the guy going nuts and imagining the whole thing. Lol Jason Bateman! My bad!

The Movie is the same as the book in the way that in the book the murders are real, Look up Easton Ellis's other book called Lunar Park It mentions bateman as a serial killer in the book, thus making the fact bateman is in fact a real serial killer.

Maybe a few of the murders were for real in American Psycho, but the part with the exploding cop cars and him randomly shooting people has got to be in his head. And the part when Patrick chases the prostitute fully nude through an apartment building wielding a chainsaw seems really iffy (wouldn't somebody have heard the screaming and the chainsaw?). Great movie, though. icon14.gif

On topic, I thought Mr. Brooks was going nowhere plot-wise. Dane Cook was horrible (although I like his stand-up), but Kevin Costner was alright (but didn't seem as scary as Christian Bale).

On topic, I thought Mr. Brooks was going nowhere plot-wise. Dane Cook was horrible (although I like his stand-up), but Kevin Costner was alright (but didn't seem as scary as Christian Bale).

I felt the same way towards the plot of 'Brooks'. It dragged its feet for the most part and didn't really end with a bang. I think the reason you didn't find Costner's character as 'scary' as Bale's is because they went about their crimes in a very different way. Brooks was a very calculating man who painstakingly stalked his prey, whereas Bateman basically 'fed' like an animal.

I saw the Brooks character's approach to murder as being similar to someone performing a delicate operation, while Bateman's approach was more frenzied.

vbSWr1A.gif