Why I Feel GTA 4 Is Not Liked By Some

gta__addict

gta__addict

Over the last few weeks I've been reading many posts on this site saying that people are unhappy with GTA 4 for a number of reasons. Some people feel like the game has been over-hyped and is not as good as it isnt packed with many little features that SA had. While i think everyone reacts differently to the game and has their own thoughts on it, i believe it is important to put the game in perspective before slamming it.

What many people have not brought up is the fact that this game is the first on a new and confusing generation of consoles, possessing their own unique problems (ps3's confusing programming and xbox's limiting disk space). Now what i mean by the game having to be put in perspective is this: GTA 4 is not a build upon of SA. It is a base to work from for the coming games over the next few years. This game has to be thought of as GTA 3. Now people might be thinking, "No way...GTA 3 was way more impressive than GTA 4!". Well to this i say you're wrong. While this game doesn't possess all of your car customisation and your crap ambulance missions, it does possess some amazing qualities that will only be built upon with future GTA's. Houser said himself in an interview that GTA 4 is the same step forward from SA that GTA 3 was from GTA 2. The graphics have had a big overhaul and will only get better, and the use of euphoria and RAGE have made physics and reactions 100x more realistic than ever before. If people remember, GTA 3 was well received and when complaints surfaced about motorbikes, planes etc. R* made Vice City quickly on the same engine with the improvements people wanted and the game was equally successful. This is what i believe the DLC will deliver to the game so people just need to have some faith.

Im certain that the future installments will build upon GTA 4 and will be great but for now i think people need to realise how innovative this game is and how exciting its new engine really is. For now i believe it has to be realised that this is a new game on a new engine on a new console and things can only get better. Just remember, it is essentially GTA 3, having some amazing features but leaving us feeling like we want more, which knowing R*, we will receive in the future. Just for the record i think the game is amazing but do agree its not a 10/10 about a 9 or 9.5.

Thoughts and arguements most welcome as ive taken the time to write all this out...hopefully its not too much text to read i know that gets really annoying.

Gta 3 felt like it had more than Gta 2, so the step up was indeed there.

Gta IV felt like it had less than Gta 3, so the step down was indeed there.

Less?

Than GTA3?

Thou art insane.

Less?

Than GTA3?

Thou art insane.

In terms of series I mean

The GTA III series felt like it had more than its predecessor GTA 2.

However GTA IV doesn't feel like it had the same radical jump of content than its predecessor did, GTA 3, VC, SA.

Simplified:

GTA I Series < GTA 2 Series < GTA III Series > GTA IV

Edited by J-(sic)

gta__addict

But see this is what im trying to say in my post, that GTA 4 was expected to have too much as SA had so much and it shouldnt be viewed in that way. it has to be accepted as a base model gta for the future is what i mean. unfortuneatly the game has grown so much that now we are all starting to expect nothing less than perfection.

GTAaddictforever

GTA 3 had more to do, and was more fun to play and replay than GTA 4 is

I'm sick of you. You don't offer anything but moaning. If your intent is NOT to be a jerk in winding up GTA fans, then I must say your existence is a pathetic one. Sitting on a forum devoted to a game you don't like, and whining about how awful it is. How you can expect to be tolerated here is beyond me.

Having an opinion is one thing. Constantly ramming it down everyone's throats until the end of time is another. So I, right here, right now, am establishing this as the official end to your time here. Be gone.

But see this is what im trying to say in my post, that GTA 4 was expected to have too much as SA had so much and it shouldnt be viewed in that way. it has to be accepted as a base model gta for the future is what i mean. unfortuneatly the game has grown so much that now we are all starting to expect nothing less than perfection.

I don't want perfection because then there would be no more GTAs, I just wanted a better game than what the hype was given for, I mean an agonizing 6 month wait after the initial October release was slated! and this is what they had to show for it. There definately is something they aren't telling us, there has never been a disappointment on this scale for a GTA game and there has to be some reason as to why.

It's either an opinion or a lie. So which one is it?

When they release gta 4 for the pc if they do why dont you just mix the gta 4 files with the san andreas files tounge.gif

GTA3 has more to do!? You can drive no more then 30(maybe i'm wrong) different cars, no more then 12 different weapons, three small island(yes, SMALL), no interior of building e.g. police station (except mafia's house, ammunation), no motorcycle, no helicopters for player(not counting the police heli, you can't drive it), plane but not really flyable.

compare those to your point of what is missing in GTA IV, obviously GTA 3 have less thing to do then in IV.

GTA3 has more to do!? You can drive no more then 30(maybe i'm wrong) different cars, no more then 12 different weapons, three small island(yes, SMALL), no interior of building e.g. police station (except mafia's house, ammunation), no motorcycle, no helicopters for player(not counting the police heli, you can't drive it), plane but not really flyable.

compare those to your point of what is missing in GTA IV, obviously GTA 3 have less thing to do then in IV.

What hes sayin is that you were able to replay GTA 3 more at the time, compared to GTA 4 now.

What hes sayin is that you were able to replay GTA 3 more at the time, compared to GTA 4 now.

I see, thats true that when playing GTA 3. Its like watching a movie to me when playing GTA 3 but a reality to me in GTA IV

Maybe its more fun to play GTA 3 then IV, but i don't know, GTA 3 have less things to do then IV. Still GTa 3 and IV is a awsome game to me.

I think that's because when GTA III came out, there was nothing else like it.

GTA IV has had a bigger mountain to climb.

Perhaps this is true, but I dont think it's a worthy excuse and it wont sedate the huge numbers of irate gamers who feel the game let them down.

I don't want perfection because then there would be no more GTAs, I just wanted a better game than what the hype was given for, I mean an agonizing 6 month wait after the initial October release was slated! and this is what they had to show for it. There definately is something they aren't telling us, there has never been a disappointment on this scale for a GTA game and there has to be some reason as to why.

I think the hype is most people's own worst enemy.

I remember the months leading up, and all the discussion how GTA IV was going to have this, and that. Who created the hype? The fans. Of course R* planted the seed, but the fans made it grow.

It seems most people blame R*, or gaming reviewers for "overhyping". At the end of the day you choose to read all the gossip, you choose to read updates etc.

People only have themselves to blame, for letting the hype grab them by the balls, and ringing the life out of them.

Edited by Miamivicecity

tarquin biscuitbarrel

I think the hype is most people's own worst enemy.

I remember the months leading up, and all the discussion how GTA IV was going to have this, and that. Who created the hype? The fans. Of course R* planted the seed, but the fans made it grow.

It seems most people blame R*, or gaming reviewers for "overhyping". At the end of the day you choose to read all the gossip, you choose to read updates etc.

People only have themselves to blame, for letting the hype grab them by the balls, and ringing the life out of them.

i was greatly excited about GTAIV since the first trailer came out. i'd usually read a half a dozen gta forums on a daily basis for new info, reading every preview i could find, anything to tie me over untill the game was released.

do i think the game was over-hyped?

no. it's a 10/10 for me. not a perfect game, but i can totally forget the minor flaws in the game due to the insane high quality of the rest. it's better than the previous GTA's by far - although GTA3 deserves a mention because it laid the very foundation which is now graced by IV. VC and SA were fun games, but they're not exceptional and they have much bigger problems than IV.