I Am Legend

steveo91

This is the PSN version, for the XBL version please see http://www.gtaforums.com/index.php?showtopic=353108

General discussion of this gamemode goes here and not in the XBL topic

I was just reading a topic (http://www.gtaforums.com/index.php?showtopic=353098) and thought that it would probably be possible to do a I Am Legend style multiplayer game.

There are about 10 zombies, and 4-6 "survivors," all separated from each other with blips turned off, and must find their own shelter. The zombie team isn't aloud in sunlight, so may only move in the shadows, or when the sun goes down, so in the day-time they would gather in a subway station/tube, or a dark building, planing for the night time hunt and exploration. The survivors on the other hand, would explore, gather weapons and search for the remaining humans, who should all be doing the same thing.

The zombies would only be aloud to use melee weapons, encouraging a better use of teamwork and communication, where-as humans are left limitless with what weapons they may use. Once a zombie kills a human, the human becomes a zombie, and is therefore unable to communicate with the humans.

The game area would be limited to Algonquin and Bohan, pretty much replicating the movie. The actual aim of the game is to get as many survivors as possible off of the island and to the airport before about 10 days, when the air becomes too contaminated and the survivors become zombies. This can only be done by crossing the water, as the bridges are all destroyed, and anyone caught crossing them will automatically be kicked from the game by the host. The human team wins by getting at least 4 3 of the survivors across, however all of them must meet up before escaping.

Any thoughts? Add me on PSN: Steveo30791 with a friend request message relating to this if you're interested biggrin.gif

In-game Chat Service For The Gamemode

============

-Download the client at http://www.getgsc.com/gsc/downloads/

-Install it.

-Register an account at http://www.getgsc.com/gsc/create_account/

-Start the client and logon.

-Go to the 'Voice tab' and press the Add button in the lower left corner of the window.

-Select 'Search for voice servers'.

-Search for 'punk' and select the server owned by blackmilk. Add it/join it.

I'll help you with the rest once you're in. (making adjustments to settings, joining the right room, etc.)

PLEASE NOTE:

There are also Xbox 360 rooms for this game mode!

============

Edited by steveo91

Coltrane's Muse

One of the more original ideas I've come across regarding the multi-player function. Very interesting, indeed.

user posted image

beckfordisgod

this is a decent idea. i think another good game mode would be if the statue of happiness came alive and every 1 has 2 work 2 gether 2 bring it down b4 it kills every 1. It wud b well gd

this is a decent idea. i think another good game mode would be if the statue of happiness came alive and every 1 has 2 work 2 gether 2 bring it down b4 it kills every 1. It wud b well gd

Yeah, but that's not exactly easy to do is it?

sounds REALLY interesting...

10 knives vs 4-6 guns... then 1 gets stabbed up and 11 vs 3-5 and so on...

Great challenge... mics would help on the zombie side?

Easier for them if none of the normals can chat?...fairer?

Ill have some of that mate icon14.gif

Wanna be a zombie if i do?

.Up&Coming.

So, what happens when the zombie kills the human in the middle of the game? How would the other players know you would be a zombie without the zombie skin? (Or if you're not using skins, team colors.)

NEW ACCOUNT

Panz

I'm definitely interested in this, just hafta get my accounts back up again.

If only you could make teams in Free Mode...

That way everyone could still use a mic/headset but within the team only.

Any ideas on that steveo91? I think humans should be able to communicate as well, but I dunno how to separate it.

Niko Van Zant

Just make a team deathmatch. Zombies on one side, humans on other. Turn blips off, put chat on proximity for an even better effect. Just have people follow the rules and you'll be fine.

But then you have to be able to switch sides right?

Even if you did that without switching FF on (so 'turned' humans can attack their former friends), the zombies wouldn't be able to communicate with them and would still see them as enemies.

it would show "whoever got stabbed etc" so as soon as the normal died then he would HAVE to only use a knife?

Anyone at the end that died n then killed a zombie would be cheating therefore omitted from any further game?

All honest gamers here n we? cool.gif

Just make a team deathmatch. Zombies on one side, humans on other. Turn blips off, put chat on proximity for an even better effect. Just have people follow the rules and you'll be fine.

I'd suggest also only pistols. AA definitely off. Because with blips off a rocket launcher could be plausible, but an assault rifle and so on definitely makes it impossible to be a zombie.

I could be up for this. I'm willing to be a zombie, too. But not if the survivors get anything higher than pistols. It's too unbalanced otherwise.

So, what happens when the zombie kills the human in the middle of the game? How would the other players know you would be a zombie without the zombie skin? (Or if you're not using skins, team colors.)

I'm still not 100% certain on how we would manage this - we couldn't exactly make someone disconnect and re-connect, could prove to be a little awkward.

About the communication issue -

Humans and zombies will have access to a 2 separate chat rooms that I would set up prior to the game, if they have access to a PC while playing. Those who don't, proximity chat will be turned on, and also, humans are able to use mobile phones AFTER they have come in contact with another human - as most likely the humans will not know which players are zombies and which are humans.

About the turning into zombie communication issue -

The only way I can see of getting around this would be for the human who has been killed to join the zombie chat room. However, if they don't have access to a computer, they will just have to follow the other zombies around, as they have not fully adapted to the zombie culture, and probably wouldn't know how to communicate yet anyway.

As for the gamemode issue, it would be played in free mode.

Steve, if Ventrilo or Xfire is used, I'm in with the chatroom thing.

Otherwise I'd like to make my voice server available? (open, for use by the public)

I can make any number of individual rooms on it, and the server itself can house a total of 200 people max.

EDIT: I guess that a newly turned zombie would simply have to take out his knife to show he isn't a human anymore.

Otherwise I'd like to make my voice server available? (open, for use by the public)

I can make any number of individual rooms on it, and the server itself can house a total of 200 people max.

EDIT: I guess that a newly turned zombie would simply have to take out his knife to show he isn't a human anymore.

I can get us a Teamspeak server, so people can write in it as well as speak, but not everyone has access to a PC while playing, so those who don't are going to be a little out of touch with everyone else.

What happens when a zombie is killed????? Does he have to exit the game or continues hunting down humans ??? monocle.gif

I can get us a Teamspeak server, so people can write in it as well as speak, but not everyone has access to a PC while playing, so those who don't are going to be a little out of touch with everyone else.

Well I'm offering use of my server cos of it's capacity and since it's doesn't cost anyone anything.

Only downside is you have to download the client to use it. (it's a programme much like Xfire really)

What happens when a zombie is killed????? Does he have to exit the game or continues hunting down humans ??? monocle.gif

Zombies can respawn as they wish. This gives the feel that there's millions of zombies against very few humans, and is balanced out by the fact that zombies can only use melee weapons.

Niko Van Zant

Yo yo, can you set up an Xbox section of that TS server too?

Yo yo, can you set up an Xbox section of that TS server too?

There should be an Xbox section, but if not, you might have to find someone else who uses XBL, because I doubt both games will be running simultaneously, as it could get a little crowded, and therefore pretty complicated tounge.gif

Sigh, why do I feel like I'm being ignored sarcasm.gif

Really, I can do that.

Edited by BlackMilk

Niko Van Zant

Not really. The server is always up, and there could be different rooms. Wouldn't be crowded wink.gif

doomdiver_16

I'm interested if someone ever finds a way around that "You have been disconnected from one or more players" problem or R* patches it.

A month later I think the devs should be off their holiday soon so we might see a better patch so if we see a fix I'm in. smile.gif

*waves a big flag*

Yesss I know you're there biggrin.gif If you can set it up that's fine, just make sure everyone including me knows how to set their client up tounge.gif

The zombie team isn't aloud in sunlight, so may only move in the shadows, or when the sun goes down, so in the day-time they would gather in a subway station/tube, or a dark building, planing for the night time hunt and exploration.

It sounds cool, except for that part. It's going to be hard to get people to comply with that, and I think it may disrupt the flow a little. All in all a great idea, though. icon14.gif

I think we ought to shorten the time-limit to about 2-3 days, I just thought, 24 hours is 48 minutes tounge.gif

Besides the fact that days take longer in IV than they did in SA (right?) I think it's not that bad.

Considering there's 10 days to beat.

But if "all" the humans have to do is get to one spot then they could just run, jump and swim over in possibly a single day.

Steve I'll send you a PM first.