Niko's Motherland

Tempest V

Ever since Niko started talking about the war in his original country, I always have been wondering where that is. Just call it obsessive curiosity. Rockstar doesn't help either, since people call him many things that refer to Eastern Europeans (Slav, Serb, Balkanskie, Polack asshole).

My personal theory is that he's a Bosnian Serb, because...

A) He fought in a war around in the 90's, so that narrows it down to one of the Yugoslav Wars.

B) His brother and aunt were killed, which is possibly a result of the genocide of the Bosnian War.

C) His last name ends in "ic," a common surname ending for a Serb.

What do you all think?

Maybe Russan ? chekozlavcian ? who knows maybe you should ask rockstar ?

he's a Balkan wink.gif

how i know:

when you pick up the random character , eddy low , he guesses from where niko is. he says some lands , then he says "hm you are from the Balkans?" And Niko responds "yes , you are very smart"

he's a Balkan wink.gif

how i know:

when you pick up the random character , eddy low , he guesses from where niko is. he says some lands , then he says "hm you are from the Balkans?" And Niko responds "yes , you are very smart"

Which country from the Balkans though, there are 12 of them.

StudioVink

Niko and Roman are Serbians. In the opening scene Roman clearly says: My Serbian ain't to good no more. Or something like that.

Axe_Gaijin
Niko and Roman are Serbians. In the opening scene Roman clearly says: My Serbian ain't to good no more. Or something like that.

Indeed, I wonder why people don't pick up on that more. it was rather clear. icon14.gif

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serbia

Kennenlerner

In like the 4th mission or something...Vlad refers to Roman and Niko as "Serbs" to Mallorie...

So I think that means they are Serbian? suicidal.gif

Niko is Serbian because i understand Serbian because i'm Croatia

user posted image

LondonCasual

Niko grew up in war-torn Yugoslavia [4] his father was a bully who never believed in him, but his mother was very caring and felt sad that a decent person like Niko had to grow up in such a harsh place. He had a brother who was killed, but it is never explained when or how. Niko fought in the Bosnian War as an "angry" teenager, where he witnessed and committed numerous atrocities which deeply affected him, giving him a cynical view on life and serious feelings of regret and depression. A defining moment in the war for Niko was when his army unit of fifteen young men (including him) were ambushed by the enemy. Niko barely escaped with his life, but most of his friends were killed - he later discovered that two others also survived. Realizing that one of them sold out the unit for money, Niko vowed to track down the culprit, not solely for revenge but because he needed closure, and that doing so would put his demons to rest.

Niko Bellic, a merchant mariner and Serbian vet of the Bosnian civil war, arrives in Liberty City aboard a freighter ship. His cousin Roman has invited him to share in his piece of the American dream; unfortunately Roman is living in a hovel and deep in debt to his Russian boss.

This has been said for about a million times. . sarcasm.gif

Sunrise Driver

Firstly I thought that he was Croatian. Then I understood he's Serbian.

GTA4CoPilot

wait...is Niko Serbian?!

haha kidding guys. this is a fun thread...

can i just ask

what is meant when ppl say to niko "you slavic... somehting"

is that someting to do wiht his language or... :S

Hes a Serbian, and the war he talks about is most likely the bosnian war.

Roman does mention his Serbian is what it used to be...but how many other countries speak Serbian?

Forcefield
Roman does mention his Serbian is what it used to be...but how many other countries speak Serbian?

none.

Croatian is exactly the same spoken dialect, but with different text, it uses the Latin alphabet (Aa, Bb, Cc) whilst Serbs use the Cyrillic alphabet (this).

Think Bosnia speaks Serbian/Croatian as well.

All irrelevant anyway as it's been documented time and again that he is Serbian.

Roman and Niko never say what coutry they are from, they always reffer to it as "the old country." But during the beginning of the game some dudes that you later kill say something like, "Crazy Ruskie!" Then Niko responds ""I'm not Russian!" So clearly he is not Russian, which most people would think that are not active in these forums. Either the first or second time Niko meets Vlad, he stares at Vlad the Vlad says to Roman, "Tell this stupid serb to stop starring at me or I will have his head cut off!" It may not been what Vlad exactly said but he definitly said serb which is an abreviation for Serbian (similar to Russian and Ruskie.)

So clearly by looking deeply into the character' s conversations I conclude that Niko is from Serbia

I give it 4 days before another thread like this is made up.

none.

Croatian is exactly the same spoken dialect, but with different text, it uses the Latin alphabet (Aa, Bb, Cc) whilst Serbs use the Cyrillic alphabet (this).

Think Bosnia speaks Serbian/Croatian as well.

All irrelevant anyway as it's been documented time and again that he is Serbian.

dude,thats the Bulgarian alphabet(Im bulgarian)

Roman and Niko never say what coutry they are from, they always reffer to it as "the old country." But during the beginning of the game some dudes that you later kill say something like, "Crazy Ruskie!" Then Niko responds ""I'm not Russian!" So clearly he is not Russian, which most people would think that are not active in these forums. Either the first or second time Niko meets Vlad, he stares at Vlad the Vlad says to Roman, "Tell this stupid serb to stop starring at me or I will have his head cut off!" It may not been what Vlad exactly said but he definitly said serb which is an abreviation for Serbian (similar to Russian and Ruskie.)

So clearly by looking deeply into the character' s conversations I conclude that Niko is from Serbia

Yes, but when Vlad called Niko a Serb, I think he was really referring to his ethnicity rather than his nationality. I think there's a slight difference between a Serb and Serbian, where the Serbs are an ethnic group and Serbians are citizens of Serbia. Bosnia itself has a 37% Serb population, and 25% of the Bosnian army during the war was composed of ethnic Serbs.

The question I'm trying to get at is which side he was on during the war. I'm speculating whether he was on the Serbian side who committed genocide (as possibly evidenced by his guilty conscience), or the Bosnian side who became the victims of genocide (as his brother was killed and his aunt was viciously raped then killed).

I think it's russia, since they talking about russia and their home country pretty much, atleast roman does.

twosugarsbiatch!

Nigeria??? tounge2.gif

think people taking this a bit... to serious, whos cares! he's not real!

Evan McCone
Nigeria??? tounge2.gif

think people taking this a bit... to serious, whos cares! he's not real!

dude , its called a forum for a reason, its so people can get together and do exactly this, discuss things. if discussing a game characters origin is too much for you to handle, dont let the door hit ya.

hes serbian id bet on it biggrin.gif