• Italy - 13/2
    • Portugal - 15/2
    • France - 17/2
    • Netherlands - 25/2
    • Croatia - 27/2
    • Czech Republic - 27/2
    • Other

Seddo
Spain choke in big tournaments like this like they always have done and always will do.

Portugal have chocked in big tournaments in recent years, the new team that was emerging that Figo and Nuno Gomez were apart of were the golden generation for Portugal and were supposed to win many big tournaments.

Portugal are just as bad as England, Spain and Holland for not doing very well in these competitions.

Canoxa
Spain choke in big tournaments like this like they always have done and always will do.

Portugal have chocked in big tournaments in recent years, the new team that was emerging that Figo and Nuno Gomez were apart of were the golden generation for Portugal and were supposed to win many big tournaments.

Portugal are just as bad as England, Spain and Holland for not doing very well in these competitions.

Yeah, but Holland and England don't fall off during the group stages. They get crossed off when they face Portugal, but that's another story. tounge.gif My very own little predictions for the eliminatory stages are something along the lines of Portugal v Croatia, Germany v Czech R., Italy v Spain and Greece v Holland.

Here's my dream team for the UEFA site. Haven't even got email confirmation for the other one. I couldn't resist jumping on the Ronaldo bandwagon. I'm also utterly shocked for the fact that I couldn't hold more than three players of the same team. Us portuguese seem unbeatable when it comes to price/quality.

1: Van der Sar NED

2: Cannavaro ITA

3: Carvalho POR

4: Gallas FRA

5: Miguel POR

6: Cristiano Ronaldo ©

7: Alonso ESP

8: Katsouranis GRE

9: Ballack GER

10: Henry FRA

11: Charisteas GRE

12: Van Nistelrooy

DazedFinch

Made my team

K Gianluigi Buffon Italy

D Álvaro Arbeloa Spain

D Sergio Ramos Spain

D Christian Panucci Italy

D Carlos Marchena Spain

M Claude Makelele France

M Michael Ballack Germany

M Daniele De Rossi Italy

S Luca Toni Italy

S Ivan Saenko Russia

S Miguel Nuno Gomes Portugal

Edited by DazedFinch

John Jacques

It's about time Spain won something... tounge.gif

Chickstick
Ah, why is the team that won the last Euro not even in the poll?

I was on holiday in Greece when they won it, fantastic game and made all the better by watching it on Greek television (I was also in Greece when we beat Germany 5-1, and we watched that on German TV. Very, very funny...). There was this little old woman across from us watching it, who looked about six hundred years old who just stood up and randomly kissed my Dad full on the lips at the final whistle. Sadly we didn't have a camera...

lloydo

I went for Italy last World Cup, so Italy again in the Euro's. icon14.gif

But Russia could suprise some, the tricks them lads did against England shocked the sh*t outta me.

mark-2007
Also, does anyone know why Greece, the current champions, had to go through the qualifiers. I thought the winning nation got an automatic place?

I thought they changed the rules for champions, it's just the hosts that qualify automatically.

From what i remember Brazil still had to qualify for Germany 2006 even though the won the 2002 World Cup and France had to qualify for the Japan/Korea even though they won the '98 World Cup.

And France had to qualify for Euro 2004 even though they won the 2000 competition.

Thanks, I never knew that. I think that's kinda stupid - the champions, in any competition, shouldn't have to qualify again.

Seddo

Some bad news for the Italians coming in, Fabio Cannavaro is out of Euro 2008 with an ankle injury and apparently he collided with a team mate, a bit of a sh*t way to miss the competion tounge.gif.

Babel is also out of the Holland squad aswell, atleast he wont be burnt out for Liverpool next season.

Canoxa
Some bad news for the Italians coming in, Fabio Cannavaro is out of Euro 2008 with an ankle injury and apparently he collided with a team mate, a bit of a sh*t way to miss the competion tounge.gif.

Babel is also out of the Holland squad aswell, atleast he wont be burnt out for Liverpool next season.

Ah god damn, I'll have to edit my fantasy team.

Seriously though, it's a shame. Fantastic player.

JoeyLeone25

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/euro2008/2008/0...s_you_with.html - Top 10 Euro Goals

We all know Van Basten's volley will never be beaten, so let's see what the second best goal of the Euro Championships was! Personally for me, it's down to either Suker's or Porborky's brilliant little lobs/chips. I'm a sucker for a good lob!

frandango

chicken a rice fc

Mario Gomez, Position: Striker, Value: 8.0 *

David Villa, Position: Striker, Value: 9.0 *

Franck Ribery, Position: Midfielder, Value: 9.0 *

Andres Iniesta, Position: Midfielder, Value: 7.0 *

Niko Kranjcar, Position: Midfielder, Value: 6.0 *

Cristiano Ronaldo, Position: Midfielder, Value: 10.0 *

Philipp Degen, Position: Defender, Value: 3.0 *

Gianluca Zambrotta, Position: Defender, Value: 6.0 *

Carles Puyol, Position: Defender, Value: 6.0 *

Razvan Rat, Position: Defender, Value: 4.0 *

Iker Casillas, Position: Goalkeeper, Value: 7.0 *

flicko
http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/euro2008/2008/0...s_you_with.html - Top 10 Euro Goals

We all know Van Basten's volley will never be beaten, so let's see what the second best goal of the Euro Championships was! Personally for me, it's down to either Suker's or Porborky's brilliant little lobs/chips. I'm a sucker for a good lob!

Ever since I saw the goals not so long ao, I've always had a thing for Maniche's blinder, as well as Ronnie Whelan's volley, although he shinned it!

Stefan.

Personally I think France will win it, although I'll be going for Russia, Poland and Croatia.

Der_Don

To all Poland-fans:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=kUQv_NIE31c

Have fun! See you on Sunday... devil.gif

After all the things your stupid newspapers said about us, we will destroy you again. that_guy2057_evilgrin.gif

Stefan.

Yeah, I don't think Poland will go past the first round, unfortunately. They did well against Serbia (they drew 1-1 and 2-2) but they kicked every else, and made it through deservedly. However, I think Croatia and Romania will be the main 'dark horses' of the tournament, which is why I don't see Poland advancing.

GTA_kev

Spain have crap defense so they can't win the tournamount. France will win

mark-2007

However, I think Croatia and Romania will be the main 'dark horses' of the tournament, which is why I don't see Poland advancing.

As much as I'd love to see Romania do well, I just can't see them getting past the group stages. Even though they topped their qualifiers ahead of Holland, they'll still struggle when it comes to the big(ger) stage, especially against three major world powers.

I'd like to see Croatia do well too, and whilst they have a stronger team and easier group (they and Germany will progress, I think) than Romania, I still can't imagine they'll get beyond the quarters, if that. Also, they might miss Eduardo. I don't know how much of a key player he was for the national side, but from what I've read he was their main goalscoring threat.

Also, as for best goals in that video. Poborsky's was amazing although he was lucky to get through the defense. Was he at Man Utd at that time, or did he move after the tournament?

Der_Don

Here are those newspaperarticles:

user posted image

"Leo, bring us their heads."

user posted image

f*cking bastards.

master ED

HRVATSKA!!! I hope they make it to the semifinal. Those guys are still a bit to inexperienced to go all the way I guess, but I have great hopes for them. Modric will be one of the best players of the tournament!

EDIT: Eduardo is a king in Croatia! Scoring 10 goals in 12 qualifying games. He'll be terribly missed, but all of Croatia is anxiously waiting for his return!

Edited by master ED

Yatesyz

What channel is the first match on? I can't be bothered looking on my TV, is it on SkySports?

Themanwiththeplan

It shoul be on normal TV mate. Either ITV or BBC.

Tough one to call this year, I would say either Italy or Netherlands. I don't want Portugal to win it because that little twat Ronaldo plays for them. smile.gif

Stefan.

Actually, now that I've had a look at the fixtures and groupings, and the fixtures for quarter finals, my tip is now on Portugal to defeat Spain on penalties in the final (don't know how I came to that conclusion; it took me about 45 minutes to figure it all out). Portugal would have knocked out the Czechs at the semi-final stage, and Spain would have knocked out France.

icon14.gif

JoeyLeone25
What channel is the first match on? I can't be bothered looking on my TV, is it on SkySports?

Here's a great link from the BBC Website telling you which match is on what channel and when - http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/e...ics/default.stm

And for the Torres worshippers among us, Jose Mourinho believes this may be the year for the Spaniards to finally live up to all they have promised in the past - http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/e...ain/7439344.stm

kietotheworld

No matches on Sky Sports, all either ITV or BBC, which I think is brilliant, but won't last long in this day and age.

Chickstick
No matches on Sky Sports, all either ITV or BBC, which I think is brilliant, but won't last long in this day and age.

Funny you should say that.

Personally I think its disgusting that it's even being considered to hold them on pay channels. Greed ahead of the fans again.

Der_Don

23 hours left. So excited.

I think Switzerland will beat the Czech Republic. With Rosicky being injured and Jan Koller who had a bad season with Nuremberg, two important players aren't in a good shape respectively even miss teh Euro.

Seddo

That's a load of bollocks for a start.

They "can't see why all 31 games should be shown on free TV because the tournament is in Austria and Switzerland and there's no British participants in the competition".

Now i don't know about others but i always watch any football that's on TV, do the English/British fans stop watching the Euro's and World Cups where their team gets knocked out/don't make the tournament?, NO.

Money grabbing bastards mad.gif.

Lit3

Hope you accept late entries to that Metro Fantasy Football League. tounge.gif

To be honest, I think Croatia will win the Euro 2008. I just have that feeling that they will. Happened in the 2006 World Cup, I had a feeling Italy were going to win it, and they did. biggrin.gif

radicell

Switzerland 0, Czechs 0, half time. Alex Frei's injury looked pretty bad to me.

Chickstick
Opening game's picked up in the last ten minutes or so, Czech Republic scoring and Switzerland hitting the post. Shame that before that it was a pretty uninteresting game.