3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

1. GTANet 20th Anniversary
    2. Support

3. Suggestions

Limits in Save Game

xmen

here is the IPL related contents limits in a Save Game file, any increament beyond limit will ruin the game, some limits are known and some are still unknown, so if anyone know about these unknown limits so (s)he can post here to complete this list.

the following list is made after reading some save files and IPLs, perhaps i may wrong in some limits...

IPL Contents            Limits       What R* left for us          (Occupied by game/Max)Enex Connections        376/400      24Garages                 50/50        0Pickups                 ?/620        ?Jumps                   70/256       186 Vehicles                208/500      292 (1043 vehicles placed by binary IPLs and only 208 saves in save game ?)Zone-Zone Info.zon          7/7          0 (1 automatically added, i.e "SAN_AND" and others 6 are in .zon file)-Zone Map.zon           379/380      1 (1 automatically added, i.e "THEMAP" and others 378 are in .zon file)

-Xmen

Edited by xmen

I typed up a few notes on practical limits in a recent topic. http://www.gtaforums.com/index.php?showtop...st&p=1058006635

Many of the limits appear to be defined by people examining the memory structure of the game. I've just recently started looking into memory dumps from SA on PS2. Out of curiosity I calculated the size of the enex information in memory and divided by the record size an noted a limit of 500 enex connections - on PS2. However, this does not mean you can add over 100 new enex connections without causing problems. The game needs to add connections for the burglary missions so if you completely fill the memory with extra connections the the other parts of the game won't function normally.

Same thing on most of the other limits. On PS2 I counted only 400 possible vehicles. What I was surprised to find was that the binary vehicles also occupy the same area of memory. If too many objects are added then missions like boat school that temporarily add lots of new object are likely to crash.

You might be able to find more specific information on maximum limits under the documenting memory address thread. Sorry, I'm a bit too tires to do the research tonight, but I'm sure I've seen a more complete limit list somewhere.

GTA Limits post:

http://www.gtaforums.com/index.php?showtop...0entry3145932

I'm a bit too tires to do the research tonight, but I'm sure I've seen a more complete limit list somewhere

yes i waiting wink.gif

I found some more notes under the limits adjuster. I'm not sure how these limits apply however. Some of the information doesn't quite match my expectations.

http://www.gtamodding.com/index.php?title=SA_Limit_Adjuster

Vehicle limit is confirmed at 500. Method used was to hex edit the handle of the last car to place it at a specific memory location. Car handle 500 caused a new game to start. 499 works as expected.

Object Limit is confirmed at 350 using the same method. Keep in mind that these are memory address limits, not the practical number of objects or cars that can be added without causing trouble.

Enex Limit appears to be confirmed at 400. Test method is to add extra copies of a test line, save, and examine the highest handle used.

Jump Limit appears to be confirmed 256. A jump line was repeated almost 300 times, a new game started, and the USJ count was checked at the beginning of the block. Extra Jumps and Enex connections didn't cause a crash.

Edited by OrionSR

did you got these limits from that page ?? i think that might wrong because its just setting monocle.gif

did you got these limits from that page ?? i think that might wrong because its just setting monocle.gif

These limits were originally taken from the Limits Adjuster Page and Sanny Documentation. However, each limit was independently verified using a practical test. For Cars and Object, the game crashed when a handle in the save was assigned to a value that exceeded the limit, but did not crash when assigned to the maximum memory location. For enex and jumps I added lots and lots of copies of a line and then examined save file to see how many got saved.

I'm looking at the memory dumps for PS2. I expect some settings to be much different, but the basic concepts to be the same. For example, there is room in memory for 500 enex connection but only 400 cars in the memory blocks from PS2.

i never interested in VG consoles because PC is the father inlove.gif anyway i updated the list

but one thing is confusing, why only 208 vehicle saves in save file instead of 1043 ??? dontgetit.gif

but one thing is confusing, why only 208 vehicle saves in save file instead of 1043 ??? dontgetit.gif

Because the 208 save vehicles are just the keepers from a larger pool of vehicles in memory. I just figured this out recently so I'm still wrestling with the implications. The binary vehicles from IPL streams are added to the same memory pool (?) but are... flagged to be discarded as required, or maybe not flagged to be retained, I'm not sure yet. When it comes time to save the game the keeper's handle (word) and record (32 bytes) are attached to the save.

For the most part saved vehicles are mainly the vehicles that are hidden, displayed, or required; SF Aircraft (2 sets), hidden aircraft, Vortex and Karts, Tractors and Combines, Reward Vehicles from mission, schools, and stadium events, girlfriend cars (2 sets), vehicles used to start mission (including firetrucks and most ambulances). However, there are also a few decoration vehicles littered around the map.

Edited by OrionSR

Because the 208 save vehicles are just the keepers from a larger pool of vehicles in memory.

oh and i think only binary vehicles are discards because i spawned 29 vehicles by my non-binary ipl and found all 29 at the starting of BLOCK, perhaps non-binary vehicles adds before binaries, so the new saved vehicles will be 208 + 29 = 237

Before

user posted image

After

user posted image

flagged to be discarded as required

of course required otherwise game cant recognise which vehicle will be save because its not saving randomly, fixed saving xD

oh and i think only binary vehicles are discards because i spawned 29 vehicles by my non-binary ipl and found all 29 at the starting of BLOCK, perhaps non-binary vehicles adds before binaries, so the new saved vehicles will be 208 + 29 = 237

Sort of. The Text IPL vehicles are read before the mission vehicles are added if a "fresh" new game is started. However, even on a normal game several binary vehicles are loaded before the game has a chance to start spawning the mission vehicles. But this doesn't seem happen on a Restart new game. If you examine the handles on saves started under the different conditions you'll notice a gap at the beginning of about 25 vehicles. Letting the cut-scene roll may also make a difference. Anyway, it doesn't really matter except to explain why the handles and associated global variables are frequently different between saves - total vehicles saved will be 29 + 208 in your example.

Sorry to be picky on the details. I just figured out how to add new vehicle generators to PS2 saves by writing the correct information directly to memory and letting the game save the vehicle, so I've been trying to hold the details in mind while I'm testing my codes.

of course required otherwise game cant recognise which vehicle will be save because its not saving randomly, fixed saving xD

I didn't phrase that right. I meant either flagged to discard or flagged to retain. However, it seems to be a bit of both. The last 2 bytes in the record I suspect are align bytes. The 3rd to the last is usually 01. and the byte before that is usually 00 on save vehicles.

I edited the save file so some vehicle generators were flagged 00 00. And the for the others I used examples from the binary vehicles; 60 01, 6E 01, 70 01, 7A 01, and 7B 01. I loaded the save, saved, and discovered all edited vehicles were missing from the save.

Update: Got it!

Car Generator Structure offset 0x1E represents the IPL stream of that binary vehicle. Not sure on the exact wording but that's the basic idea. Apparently when the stream becomes inactive the IPL number is cleared and the 01 at 0x1F is set to 00; perhaps this frees up that record for reuse.

Edited by OrionSR