anyone else feels like me?

sronsr

well i played SA for a very long time, it was a great game, i played GTA games one after one after one(since GTA2 unfortunately) and now i feel like IV doesnt give that feeling like other GTA's did, i just dont enjoy being chased by police, living the life of sex, drugs and murder, in IV i felt like being a slave which niko said he isnt, doing missions pointlessly, i mean how will collecting diamonds help me find that special someone?

who else feels that way?

well if you, R*, read it i just wanted to thank you for the great times i had playing your game and good luck in the future.

GTAF - thanks for the awesome help and nice conversations in the forum, maybe in the future you will be bigger

well now im leaving, i wish you all good luck in GTA and in real life

tarquin biscuitbarrel

i felt like you.

untill i gritted my teeth and did the 'dirty work' for the mafia. then i realised that rockstar was trying to make you (the player) feel 'used' like niko was feeling used. look at niko's body language in the cutscenes, he doesn't want to do it.

it does drag on a bit in algonquin, but at least finish the story before making your conclusion.

well i played SA for a very long time, it was a great game, i played GTA games one after one after one(since GTA2 unfortunately)    and now i feel like IV doesnt give that feeling like other GTA's did, i just dont enjoy being chased by police, living the life of sex, drugs and murder, in IV i felt like being a slave which niko said he isnt, doing missions pointlessly, i mean how will collecting diamonds help me find that special someone?

who else feels that way?

well if you, R*, read it i just wanted to thank you for the great times i had playing your game and good luck in the future.

GTAF - thanks for the awesome help and nice conversations in the forum, maybe in the future you will be bigger

well now im leaving, i wish you all good luck in GTA and in real life

I remember playing GTA 1 on the PS1 back in 1997 and thinking wow how did they get away with this. Nowadays I see a game like GTA 4 and I think, meh it's the norm. Yeah I do feel old, well I am 28 but society has changed alot too. I think it shows a change in social values and what is/isn't classed as being suitable. I mean things like 2 girls 1 cup didn't shock me, 5 years ago it probably would, personally I have seen much much worse on the internet.

I think it's because GTA set a trend, was copied, and bettered, in some instances and the boundaries were pushed wider. Thats why GTA probably doesn't feel the same as it used to, but the series is evolving as is society so maybe there could be some dramatic changes yet to come for the series.

Even little things in the game like during the story when Alex Chilton sends you a message after a date saying "Wouldn't you like to have these collagen inflated lips wrapped around your...". Once upon a time not too long ago even that wouldn't have been in GTA. Edited by ethrion

Well I'm definitely a bit older since my first foray into III; I understand where the OP is coming from- but I think he's being a bit premature in judgment. As tarquin noted, the used feeling is on purpose- you are meant to NOT like what you are doing (as interesting or not as it is to you, the individual player) and realize that the later consequences you suffer stem from your actions previously.

Man, this isn't just a game, its a parody of a life gone wrong- and this sh*t happens for real every day. All of the elements of life that it pokes fun at, it does so in a way that allows you to see how bad things can be for a person so it isn't just funny, its a lesson to be learned. That's just how I look at it.

You do what you gotta do, though...it seems you may have been thinkin this for quite some time.

Coltrane's Muse
....the series is evolving as is society....

Or could the polar opposite be occurring? Are we progressing as a species, or de-evolving just the same? Thirty-four years on the planet, and I'm beginning to lose all hope.

user posted image

I am 36 myself and I must admit I didnt get as much of a buzz with IV, but I think as you say it is down to us becoming more conditioned to the events in game.

We see similar things happening in our own streets going unchecked these days so seeing it in a game has less shock value.

The human race is indeed fooked.

Well i came to read the comments,

to the first reply - i finished the story

pinky - the human race sux

RONIN1191 - yea i know but whats the point in creating a game your meant to not like? it makes no sense

tarquin - what do you mean with the mafia, do you mean the assassin missions?

If those 3 years were worth it i'll be happy but it wasnt at all, i already got bored of it

RONIN, you talk clever and i agree with you except from the fact stated above, a game thats meant to be annoying and/or boring is a failure, unfortunately IV is that way confused.gif

That wasn't quite what I meant but...if you're already inclined to think a certain way, you'll not be willing to see it any other way.

I'm enjoyin the hell out of this game; I get where you're comin from but for me? That's part of the atmosphere in the game, part and parcel.

I don't compare GTA IV with any other GTA....so I like it very much, missing nothing at all. wink.gif

Only thing I've noticed is I like driving in 1ste person view, way less damage and will go much faster.

Even the sound responds realistic, when in 1ste person the exhaust sound really comes from behind you.

And traffic seems to dissapear when not in point of view..... monocle.gif

Its nice to see that actually someone can be a little more serious on this forums then those 12 year olds complaining about how gta 4 sucks in a childish way, I was afraid id have that feeling to first time I fired up gta 4, but I really seem to like the game. and good luck to you to

Kennenlerner

I'm 17 and love the game.

Maybe things in the game seem more suited to people my age? I don't know.

FierceDeityIX

GTA2 kicked arse and I only played GTA for a little while (I now have an 8800 in my PC so it's a no go.) I don't feel this game is that different, it justs feels more gritty. I don't like the direction they chose with art. GTA looked so much better when it had a cartoony look.

We are all going to die anyway. The human race will end sooner then you think.

whats with all the BS about global warming etc? we will all be dead by the time anything happens.

moonracer1313

good mature thread. I hear where people are coming from. I'm still enjoying the game. Haven't finished the story. But I can see where some of you are coming from and feel the same way about a lot of this stuff.

I think the thing with not enjoying what is happening is kind of what is supposed to be happening. Rockstar is maturing and is trying to say something just as much as they are trying to make a fun game. It is just hard to separate the emotional feeling of being forced into a position you/Niko don't like as a response to the "art" and getting tired of these things and the "game" mechanics in a very real way. There is this push towards open endedness and freeform choices, but we are ultimately forced to choose between two or more evils. There is no passive/"good" path to take other than to not play.

There is also a maturity level for us older gamers. I very much enjoy R*'s humor and attention to detail, but a lot of the humor is increasingly juvenile (especially the sex jokes). Things that I would have laughed at when I was 18-25 I kind of roll my eyes at (now 30). Some of us are just older gamers, and that's not a bad thing. We just need more mature content. And by "mature" I mean something different than digital boobs and swear words.

DriftNismo

I think i completely agree with you OP. I've played them all one after the other since GTAIII and completed each one and GTA:IV didn't give me that sense of enjoyment and excitement that the other games did. But because of this, half of me is so completely excited about the next GTA and half of me doesn't care because of fear that it will be like GTA:IV.

It's like Subaru and their Impreza. All the old ones have been brilliant, whether they were normal 2.0 Turbos, WRXs, WRX STis or Type 25s, and every time a new one came out, there was such excitement and everyone loved 'em. Now, the new hatchback came out, and hardly anyone likes it, it just looks "newer" but not better. It's not as fast as past STis or anything either. They've ruined it.

Blackop_elite

Yea I just turned 27 today and now I think all I really use the games for is for socialization with my friends in the DFW area. All we really use it for now is like a glamorized telephone. We just talk, and catch up, only now we can do it while driving around a city and shooting things. To me video games are just a big party line now! And if you don't know what a party line is, your not old enough to know!!! cool.gif

It's like Subaru and their Impreza. All the old ones have been brilliant, whether they were normal 2.0 Turbos, WRXs, WRX STis or Type 25s, and every time a new one came out, there was such excitement and everyone loved 'em. Now, the new hatchback came out, and hardly anyone likes it, it just looks "newer" but not better. It's not as fast as past STis or anything either. They've ruined it.

QFT. My first reaction when seeing the new Scooby was "Eh? This some kind of Joke?"

Even in Scooby Blue with gold wheels, decals, dump-valve & everything, it still isn't a proper Impreza.

Cronos_Vengence

....the series is evolving as is society....

Or could the polar opposite be occurring? Are we progressing as a species, or de-evolving just the same? Thirty-four years on the planet, and I'm beginning to lose all hope.

It is not so dire. We as a species merely go through periods of barbarianism and enlightenment. We become engorged on one end of the spectrum, and become bored as we always take it too far, and the few that rebel against the social norms begin to grab hold of mainstream thought, and we plunge down the to the other side of the spectrum.

We have to remember that at one point in history, people fought to the death for entertainment. But after words we sought philosophy. And not too long ago in our past we lived by the gun, but then people began to push toward enlightenment and we had quite a space age. And now, we see that now we are pushing toward a barbarian society once again. We see violence taking a upward trend. But in time, as has always been the case, people will grow bored of it as it will be everywhere and in everything. And we will see an upsurgence in the intellectuals again, only to grow bored of that as well.

Edited by Cronos_Vengence