GTA4 Multiplayer Issues

loseruser

A lot of people aren't able to acheive a connection to the multiplayer servers so here's a bunch of troubleshooting tips to get online. Mods, if this gets popular please pin it since so many network questions come up in this forum. Here goes..

-------------

Problem: Constant Online Dropping

Explanation: Your router is having DHCP issues. (ie: You are behind a router with a firewall or a router with another gateway beyond it)

Solution: You need to open certain ports to be able to play online without packets being lost/being dropped/timing out. Go to http://www.portforward.com/ and find your router in the list of routers. Most of the time you can find the exact model by visiting your router's setup page (usually http://192.168.1.1/ password and name are usually both: admin) Follow the instructions on how to port forward.

The following ports can be forwarded to troubleshoot drops/slow connections on the Playstation Network: Make sure each underlined set is forwarded properly to TCP or UDP.

80, 443, 5223 (TCP) and 3478, 3479, 3658 (UDP)

The following ports are used solely for Grand Theft Auto IV Multiplayer. Forward these to possibly solve constant drops/disconnects.

8001, 27900 (TCP) and 6672, 28900 (UDP) Source

Most of the time you will have to forward as a port range, so that means you'll end up with five or six fields of ports forwarded [range start: 80, range end: 80, protocol: TCP, IP: [[your console's static IP]]

You'll also need to make your console have a static IP address. Please view this video for PS3:

And I'll need to find a guide for 360 some other time. I don't own one.

-------------

Problem: Not connecting at all "Cannot connect to the game provider, please try again later."

Explanation: The game is still having a hard time getting past your router. Having tried all past steps and all explanations and troubleshooting guides on the internet, this is the last step.

Solution: Enable UPnP. Once again, you must access your router page. Usually http://192.168.1.1/ with a default user/password of admin/admin, and enable UPnP. Make sure it is also enabled on your console and test the connection to make sure the UPnP service is working properly.

Special Note To Linksys Routers: I have the model WRTG54GS, and I'm told the same model, the WRT54G without the SpeedBooster, crashes when the Playstation 3 attempts to connect to the internet and the only possible solution was to disable UPnp. This is apparently fixed with a firmware upgrade. Since we can't play GTA4 online in some circumstances without enabling UPnP, you'll need to upgrade your firmware and enable it.

Official Linksys Website: WRT54GS Firmware Page

Official Linksys Website: WRT54G Firmware Page

-------------

Please post more issues and hopefully we can work together to solve them in one big topic. The initial setup is a big headache for all of us who don't know much about computers and really just want to play video games online. Hopefully once we troubleshoot all the possible problems, all online games for every individual user will become fully functional and we can all go back to playing online again.

Edited by loseruser

I have a linksys Wireless-N (but my xbox connection is hardline) and have never had any problems online except for races...could this be the router? everything else seems to work smooth, just the races. Oh, and i have 10mb internet.

thebritishbulldog

Although I agree with most of your tips I have come to the conclusion that a lot of issues are NOT client side, they are software related and server related. If you have a strong NAT 2 connection and are still having problems then you need to complain to Rockstar/Take2.

My honest opinion is that unless you run something like linux on your PS3 or Xbox360 the easiest thing to do is to create a DMZ for your games machine.

I have a wonderful wireless setup with my PS3 in a DMZ (all ports open), a static DHCP IP address. My connection to the PS3 is 99% efficient and transparent and I have even set a low MTU for redundancy.....

.... I still get dropped from 95% of MP games I try to join....

.... Once I'm a game in I stay fine (and have a good laugh) but trying to get past the "lobby" is a pain in the ass.

We all need to be complaining to take2 about this.

This is the first time they've ever attempted multiplayer in the Grand Theft Auto games (I do remember they uncovered some hidden menus in GTA3 that were supposed to be used for a scrapped multiplayer function) so it's natural they mess up a lot. PC version will be flawless.

thebritishbulldog
This is the first time they've ever attempted multiplayer in the Grand Theft Auto games (I do remember they uncovered some hidden menus in GTA3 that were supposed to be used for a scrapped multiplayer function) so it's natural they mess up a lot. PC version will be flawless.

Their main problem is not having a lobby for PSN. Silliest. omission. ever.