Losing wanted level inside the wanted radius?

paddy o'pikey

paddy o'pikey

I was wondering can you actually lose your wanted level by just hiding when you are still in the wanted radius?

Yes, if you enter a Pay & Spray and the cops don't see you. (The wanted stars are grey).

in5dJdX.png

Or breaking line of sight and changing cars, you can just stroll on out.

no, you can't just hide and wait them out.

after a while you'll start hearing cops say things like "we know you're in there" etc

if you just change cars without being seen they won't come after you?

.Up&Coming.

I tried that, and they saw me as soon as I left my hiding place.

I was really looking forward to that feature, and every time I try, it doesn't work.

NEW ACCOUNT

Panz

Not for me, either. Even when they can't see you at the moment and you hide where they shouldn't ever be able to find you, they'll start swarming your position.

• 1 month later...

I was really looking forward to that feature, and every time I try, it doesn't work.

Yeah, it doesn't work for me either sad.gif

Yeah, it doesn't work for me either sad.gif

Damn!!!!!

I was so sure that hiding would work, but I only tried it once....... after about 10 seconds of ducking behind an alley dumpster I gave up, grabbed a car and drove off.........

Yes, if you enter a Pay & Spray and the cops don't see you. (The wanted stars are grey).

You can enter the pay and spray place even when the cops can see you.

Strange they got hiding and line-of-sight feedback implemented for Bully -- on the old GTA engine -- and yet other than search radius the GTAIV wanted system has turned out to be more similar to previous GTAs than not.

sananoutlaw

If you stay in the radius you can't hide, it will just take them longer to close in on your location. Of course you can enter a pay n' spray if in a car.

If you swich cars without being seen, you can just drive carefully out of the radius. However, if you directly pass a cop car on the road they will notice it's you. I take this as 'getting a look at you through the window' sort of thing which kind of makes sense. You can pass cop cars but not too close to them or they'll spot you.

Just makes it a little easier to evade as they're not directly chasing you, making an escape a bit more likely/easier.

Edited by sananoutlaw

It does work, I swear. You can pass right by a cop car and they won't notice it's you if you're lucky. I guess it only works rarely, but I've done it before and I couldn't shut up about it for a couple hours.

It does work, I swear. You can pass right by a cop car and they won't notice it's you if you're lucky. I guess it only works rarely, but I've done it before and I couldn't shut up about it for a couple hours.

I have found that you can stay in the same car and if you lose the cops and drive back you find some cops are still looking for you and have their lights and siren on, they don't go after you but they act like they are still looking.

.Up&Coming.

Yeah, it's probably rare. I've only tried it a few times, so maybe I was just unlucky?

I don't know. I bet R* will really elaborate on it in the next GTA. Maybe they'll add stuff like hiding in dumpsters and other things like they had in Bully. It would be cool that if you were in the radius, and you waited maybe twice as long as you do OUTSIDE the radius, that your wanted level would shrink by a star or something. At one star, it would disappear, etc.

I love the new system, though. Knowing where the cops are is a plus. In the old games, you just had to drive for your life in hopes to get rid of the cops.

NEW ACCOUNT

Panz

Mr. Someguy

The swapping cars thing actually does work. The problem is if you get too close to a cop for too long, they will recognize you inside and report the new car. Earlier I actually managed to steal a copcar, and drive out past a NOOSE truck and another copcar. They must have assumed I was just another cop on the search and ignored me.

The swapping cars thing actually does work. The problem is if you get too close to a cop for too long, they will recognize you inside and report the new car. Earlier I actually managed to steal a copcar, and drive out past a NOOSE truck and another copcar. They must have assumed I was just another cop on the search and ignored me.

Nice!

Yeah I've swapped cars before and lost the cops within the radius. I wish you could grab a random ped and take them hostage so the cops wouldn't shoot. Now that would be awesome. Steal a car with a passenger and then stop and pull em out the drivers door and stand there with a gun to there head or something. Just a thought.

Get 1 star. Enter safe-house, put skiing mask on, swap cars.

Just a thought. Have not tried.

spacer.png

You can enter the pay and spray place even when the cops can see you.

Sure you can. But you'll get a notification that they spotted you going in, and you won't lose your wanted level, nor get a respray - if you do, they didn't spot you.

If you make it to a safe house, you might as well just save the game to lose the heat. But I'm actually not sure whether or not different outfits will put them off...

Putting a ski mask on would not work, which cop would find it normal to see someone with a skiing mask on in NYC? Maybe the other way around (taking it off)..

Doubt the ski mask would do anything as the police dont mention anything about clothes over the radio like they do with cars.

The stars actually grey out when you're not in the cops line of sight...but even though thet can't see you they still 'know ur there' which is a bit daft in my opinion...never lost the cops myself by just hiding...

Although I have found that if you make it to your safehouse and just save the game when you have a wanted level then when Niko wakes up the cops have gone - so far thats they only way I've lost the cops while still being in their wanted radius.

mastervader m16

it worked for me a few times