I don't know if you guys have noticed this...

baseball1332

it's not exactly hard to get away from 1 star though, iirc in previous games the cops shoot at you at 1 star.  in gta4 at least the 1 star gives you a realistic chance to run away without getting shot at when you commit a petty offence.

In SA, the cops only shot at you with a one-star-wanted-level IF you were carrying a weapon. If you changed to having nothing in your hand, they just chased you and tried a beat-down. Arm yourself, they'd start firing.

I think that is the same in GTA III and VC, but I haven't tested it. Actually, I think in VC, cops also shot at you if they couldn't beat you down, like if you hid on top of a car out of reach of their batons. Ahhh, maybe that was SA, too for the motobike cops.

(ARRRRRGH, all the games are blurring together! lol.gif )

Just give us a silencer.. The silencer was USELESS in San Andreas but Rockstar included it anyway, and now we're really in need of one, but it's not there!

I disagree that in SA it was useless: I only ever used a silenced pistol for killing dealers or Ballas in the end because you could tap him in the back of the head with a cop ten feet away (facing away) or hide behind something so there was no direct line-of-sight for the cop, and get away with murder (in this case, literally happy.gif ).

With a regular pistol you always got heat.

And frankly, I thought that was pretty damn-fine programming, to include line-of-sight and sound for whether or not the cops were on me. If R* haven't learned that lesson for GTA4, it must suck terribly to have to pop 100 caps in 100 flying rats. Fortunately, escaping the cops on a one-star is pretty easy, right?

PHUKK THA POHLEESE!

Bablyon EVERYWHERE in this game. I hate it.

Jc84 is right, peds report you to the police too.

No, thats just the excuse R* uses for why this happens. Either that, or this "pedestrians call 911" system is flawed. Because I was in the middle of the ocean, a boat drives by and I shoot the guy and jack it. There were NO other boats around. (It was around 3AM). So I drive forward just maybe like, 5 feet...... and I get a wanted level! I checked again and there were STILL no boats around! The same exact thing happened to me in an alleyway too.

Jc84 is right, peds report you to the police too.

No, thats just the excuse R* uses for why this happens. Either that, or this "pedestrians call 911" system is flawed. Because I was in the middle of the ocean, a boat drives by and I shoot the guy and jack it. There were NO other boats around. (It was around 3AM). So I drive forward just maybe like, 5 feet...... and I get a wanted level! I checked again and there were STILL no boats around! The same exact thing happened to me in an alleyway too.

Hobos.. Underwater.. With cell phones.

Snorkeling hobos!

i still think you just aren't aware enough of what's around you. i haven't been out looking for pigeons, but of the 6-7 i have found just by happening on them, i have shot each one and only had cops alerted ONCE.

i've seen peds walking away from a car jacking and taking out there cellphones, heard them calling in the crime and gotten the wanted level. i've seen it about to happen and run over the erstwhile driver before they could make the call and gotten no wanted level from it.

i've sat on buildings and sniped a few rounds without any consequences. i've been on other buildings and sniped a round and gotten a star right away too.

i don't see the point in complaining that if you fire off a weapon downtown it shouldn't be reported. i didn't get this game expecting it to be a "where's waldo" adventure hunting pigeons with the city totally ignoring me. the basic mechanic of the game is get cops after you, elude cops. surprise surprise, that's what happens in the game.

"we have a report in south broker... shots fired.. dispatching units..."

never heard that on the police radio before?

i dunno. i don't see why you are shocked and disapointed that the police come after you when you kill people or fire a weapon in the middle of the city. i'm fine with it. i wouldn't want to play COD or something with one squad that just stands there and never fires back.

anyone tried knifing pigeons? pigeon-beat down?

and +1 to the count of people wishing they had a silenced weapon. i get cops after me more often than i would like, but it's "dang, cops again. how to get away this time hmm.." not "dang, cops are after me. this game sucks for having cops in it" you know?

just carry an escape plan in yer pocket before you act all thug and i think you'll be alright. i mean, half the forum is complaining that the game is too easy... so it can't be as bad as your frustrated avatar is making it out to be.

I'm sure I read somewhere the cops in the game would respond with more realism, small crimes would result in them chasing you but not a gun fight unless you pull one on them. Nonsense. They shoot you in the head for scratching their paint job!

Has anyone actually seen a pedestrian call the police by the way? I've gotten so used to these ideas not actually appearing then I'm guessing it isn't there.

I really don't see the problem. Maybe if I keep shooting my gun multiple times then the police are alerted, but as long as their isn't any police near you, there wont even be any police in your wanted circle, so as long as you leave the circle before the police get there, you get away pretty damn easy. They also don't shoot you when you have a 1 star wanted level, unless you aim at them, or they try to arrest you and you escape.

I also remember in previous GTA games, most times if you killed more than 1 person you would get a wanted level, whether there was police around you or not, isn't this just the same?

I usually don't mind the cops being so active in normal gameplay. For example if I'm not in a hurry I always take a look around before I steal a car. Some times I wait for the cops to drive out of site before I act. Its kinda cool that you have to be on your toes like that.

But some times when you just want to have some fun it can get irritating.

One time I was in my safehouse and started shooting things just to try if the TV would break or some sh*t like that. In a few seconds I got cops storming in my crib. I mean damn, can't a man fire a few shots in the privacy of his home? lol.gif

Other time I was on top of a tall building and wanted to fool around with the sniper rifle. I gunned down some dude a mile away and needless to say the police was on me in seconds.

Coltrane's Muse

Exactly Will6969, there are times when having the cops after you is fun.

This is especially true in a co-operative game of "Free Mode" (key word being "co-operative"). The gun battles that can be derived from these are the stuff of legend -- but only if everyone is on the same page, and not acting as complete buffoons.

user posted image

I agree that is my only peeve about this game. Cops are EVERYWHERE. I can't even steal a car without getting a wanted level. Or kill pigeons.

...but there are way too many cops in this game.

Every time I want to take a car, I get a cop on my ass.

I have completed the game and I am now searching for the "Flying Rats".

I fire one bullet to kill the damn pigeon, and 8 out of 10 times I receive a wanted level. Even if I am on top of a roof, they will come after me. This gets extremely annoying at times.

What do you guys think?

(I'm not hating on the game...)

You see.. there are these damn things called people. Then there are these other things called cops. When an idiot is in the middle of the street in real life firing off a gun.. its the craziest thing in the world, but those people always call the cops. Insane concept, isn't it?

Mr. Someguy

I think that when you commit a crime that everyone can hear, but no-one can see, the cops should arrive, but you don't have a wanted level. So the cops arrive and just walk around the area for a little, then give up and leave.

Has anyone actually seen a pedestrian call the police by the way? I've gotten so used to these ideas not actually appearing then I'm guessing it isn't there.

i think i posted right before you did so you didn't see it, but yes, i've seen and heard peds calling for police.

i even ran down a couple of peds as they were dialing - you can see them holding a cell phone when they are about to - and successfully smeared them on the pavement before they could make the call.

the thing that pisses me off about the cops - and i've mentioned it b4 on forum am sure - is EVERY time i get a bulletproof swat vehicle into my parking space, it disappears. i've caught the #### random cop taking a random ped thug into the thing and driving off with it a couple of times =\ ended up getting myself in hot water by killing the cop of course, but ##### that was not easy to steal, lose wanted level and bring back to my apt!!!

i'm not really ticked over it though i mean it was a stolen vehicle to begin with lol. it's actually a nice touch. pine away for door-locking mod is what i will do, yes, pine pine pine...

problem_child2099

heres what u do go 2 ny, go up on a roof shoot a gun and see if any cops show up. actually go 2 any city and do that see if the cops get called. Rock* siad the game was gonna be a lot more realistic

not sure exactly why some of you have this issue with cops "all the time" rant... out of 33 flying rats , i've killed at least half, with no cops being sent after me. Not saying i don't have some of the issues too, i've had many encounters where i've shot off one round and been wanted , buit for the most part if the cop wasn't right there or was the target I'm NOT having any issues like most...i have many times climbed the construction towers , snipped 2,3 , 4 people and/or taken a dozen shots before getting any attention.

For the most part , the attention should be expected, go stand on a roof in the city and shoot a gun, 7 out of 10 times if not more a cop is gonna find out, 1 star and you "resist/run" and on-no now ya got 2 , seems about right , you didn't comply and now they are mad...you hit a squad car, now they are after you, go hop in moms auto and bump a cop , betcha he lights ya up.....also on that note i have had collisions either caused by me or them and i find if ya slow enough or come to complete stop "esp if its their fualt, aka swerving" they don't seem as apt to light ya up....now it doesn't happen all the time but it hasn't been 100% for me either....yes at times i felt like damn the cops again, but i've gotten away from them more times than not, at first it was harder , but i have realized I'm in pretty good contol of when and how much i'm wanted...no game is perfect , but damn the haters...R* put out a great game and no one is forcing it to be played...if it's not your cup o tea so be it...sorry for the rant i'm just tired of the whining and people acting like their take is how the game is for has to be it for everyone else , maybe it's just the way they choose to play it is the problem?! .... i too have my issues with certain aspects of the game, but the forum wasn't made for me to cry about it, constructive critism yes that's fine but no need to insult other players or devs, if the game bothers me to that point i'll stop playing and put a diff disc in

SantiagoDomingo

Something strange happened to me today. I was going around just shotgunning people in the face. After about 35 people dead I had zero wanted stars. I even shot 6 cops and 2 passing cop cars, they just carried on like it was nothing. Nothing I did would get me a wanted star, I was even smashing my car into cops.

Karambalaya

The easy way to get rid of the cops is to date Kiki and give her a call when you want the police off your ass.

Btw, it's quite natural that the cops are all over you if your shots are heard by someone. By reading the news sites on the in-game internet, you'll find out that fear of terrorism is a major concern in Liberty City (at least for Weasel News turn.gif). That's also why you'll find police armed with machine guns at places like the subway. (Btw2: It's not often I've heard it, but the chatter on the police radio will sometimes say that there are "reports of suspected terrorist activity" when you're throwing grenades around. A small detail that just adds to the backdrop.)