Planes

scotland4life

scotland4life

Do the planes at the airport actually take off or do they just keep going round in circles? I've never seen a plane take off, I can only see them in the air mercie_blink.gif

doa kappatango

Round and round.

And the low flying ones never land.....

This vid shows it quite well (2m 57secs in), props to the creator. As Shaggy once said: It wasn't me!

scotland4life

Oh... thats crap, you would have thought that the planes would have landed and taken off oh well

[NRG900_KiNg]

IT AINT A AIRPORT IF NOTHING LANDS OR TAKESOFF LOL

doa kappatango
' date='May 15 2008, 12:37'] IT AINT A AIRPORT IF NOTHING LANDS OR TAKESOFF LOL

Its a Port For Airplanes. There are Airplanes there. Therefore, it's an Airport.

Peter! At The Disco
,May 15 2008, 12:37] IT AINT A AIRPORT IF NOTHING LANDS OR TAKESOFF LOL

Its a Port For Airplanes. There are Airplanes there. Therefore, it's an Airport.

A port = a place where things arrive and depart.

And since no planes are arriving (or departing) from Franics International Airport it's not really an airport.

Francis International Plane Parking Lot? confused.gif

doa kappatango

And since no planes are arriving (or departing) from Franics International Airport it's not really an airport.

OK, this is getting silly now:

air·port (ârpôrt, -prt)

n.

1. A tract of leveled land where aircraft can take off and land, usually equipped with hard-surfaced landing strips, a control tower, hangars, aircraft maintenance and refueling facilities, and accommodations for passengers and cargo.

The keyword in that [Official] definition is CAN, not MUST. It's still an Airport.

It has:

hard-surfaced landing strips

a control tower

hangars

aircraft maintenance and refueling facilities

accommodations for passengers and cargo

If JFK grounded all flights, it would still be an AIRPORT.

This is sick, you're arguing about the word "airport". Christ, are you all braindead? Or at least bored, just stop.

No saying they don't take off and land when you are not there.

He He, the old tree falling over in the forest debate all over again.

They do take off and land I've seen it myself nearlly got wiped out on the first island when I was still on it before Roman's autoshop is burnt down.

My apologies I have no ss/videos. next time ill make sure I'll take a picture or something lol turn.gif

Keep a camera next to my wallet for next time.... catspider.gif

doa kappatango

They do take off but i hav never seen 1 land

They do take off and land I've seen it myself nearlly got wiped out on the first island when I was still on it before Roman's autoshop is burnt down.

My apologies I have no ss/videos. next time ill make sure I'll take a picture or something lol 

Keep a camera next to my wallet for next time.... 

Really, they don't. You are just looking stupid in front of all these people.

I don't have to justify anything to anyone and I dont care if I look stupid because I saw it at the airport on the tarmac while playing GTA IV on my XBOX 360. So good day.

MyDirtySecretary

No they do land, I second this, one nearly landed on me whilst I was driving on the runway.

doa kappatango
I don't have to justify anything to anyone and I dont care if I look stupid because I saw it at the airport on the tarmac while playing GTA IV on my XBOX 360. So good day.

Yes. There are 2 Planes on the ground that just Taxi around the runways in a never-ending loop.

There are various low planes which fly over the airport. Nothing Takes off, nothing Lands.

DDR Midian

Yes. There are 2 Planes on the ground that just Taxi around the runways in a never-ending loop.

There are various low planes which fly over the airport. Nothing Takes off, nothing Lands.

This is correct. Good to see R*'s illusions have fooled so many people though, I guess that was the intention after all.

I have a vague memory of a pane landing buts its probably jsut me, i just like going in those fat trucks ther

Why have they done this? Is it because the airborne models are less detailed? I've only just started flying copters and tried to chase one but couldn't get near it.

Also can you blow them up with RPG?

doa kappatango
Why have they done this? Is it because the airborne models are less detailed? I've only just started flying copters and tried to chase one but couldn't get near it.

You can catch the Airbourne Planes in an annihilator, but weapons have no effect on them. That includes the ones on the ground as well - even with the RKT launchers

So, I guess the USA had absolutely no airports on September 12th, 2001 then, huh? rolleyes.gif

I bet you hit the nail on the head - airborne models probably are less detailed.

Granted, there is a workaround from a technical artist angle:

They could have had an invisible lower-res model constrained to high-res model's position, and once it hit a certain altitude, hide the high-res one and un-hide the low-res one. Then reverse the process upon landing.

Its funny, becasue planes even landed and took off in Gta III, VC, and SA too?

This is just yet more evidence to prove just how pretentious GTA:IV's so called "realism" really is. It amazes me that they bothered trying to use the realism card in the first place because the game fails so miserably at it. Great game, yes, realistic game, no. It doesn't even strike a good balance.

So, I guess the USA had absolutely no airports on September 12th, 2001 then, huh? rolleyes.gif

Rudy Giuliani? Is that you? Riding 9/11 to seem right?

RidingHigh

Its funny, becasue planes even landed and took off in Gta III, VC, and SA too?

They do in III and VC, but the planes are simple textures, they're not even solid. There were maybe 3 or 4 texture planes on a loop. No planes took off or landed in SA, unless you bought a plane ticket. Infact, there weren't even any passenger jets parked at the airports, except for the AT-400 in the LV airport hanger. The only planes you would see in the air would spawn randomly, fly over you and disappear(and sometimes crash).

PetsOvernight

Yeah I was disappointed with this... I wanted to mess with planes landing/taking off, but when I see all the planes just go around, as if they were aborting landing, I was wtfing. Couldn't have been that hard to do a loop even as simple as GTA3, which was a simple land, taxi, take off.

Meh - maybe next time, ha. tounge.gif

I bet you hit the nail on the head - airborne models probably are less detailed.

Granted, there is a workaround from a technical artist angle:

They could have had an invisible lower-res model constrained to high-res model's position, and once it hit a certain altitude, hide the high-res one and un-hide the low-res one. Then reverse the process upon landing.

They allready have with all the vehicles, it is called a chassis_vlo model. This low poly version switches to the full model when you get close enough.

So there is no reason why the same models can't be used, they probably in fact are anyway.

Grand Theft Auto Dude

This is kind of disappointing. Didn't a preview say that they just watched the planes landing and taking off for a while? 2 planes going in circles, and several of them flying over the airport doesn't seem very... Good.