Black Sabbath

Lt. Dan

First off, hello, Lieutenant Dan here. I'm a teenager and a diehard Grand Theft Auto fan. The earliest GTA experience I can remember is when I was about 7 I played the original GTA (top-down) with my dad and all I can remember is that I kept walking into something and exploding. angry.gif

Anywho, which of the many eras of Black Sabbath is your favorite? (Ozzy, Dio, Martin, Hughes, Gillian, etc) Why?

Mine is definitely Dio. Many would argue Ozzy's is the best because they were first, which must mean cavemen were the best musicians ever because they invented music. Dio Sabbath (now Heaven and Hell) has more complex solos and heavier riffs, and after Paranoid it seemed that every song Sabbath made with Ozzy was about drugs.

• 2 weeks later...

Mine is definitely Dio. Many would argue Ozzy's is the best because they were first, which must mean cavemen were the best musicians ever because they invented music. Dio Sabbath (now Heaven and Hell) has more complex solos and heavier riffs, and after Paranoid it seemed that every song Sabbath made with Ozzy was about drugs.

Entirely agreed. Also Dio's voice is far superior.

I think this question should be in The Official Metal Topic, however.

makiaveli777
First off, hello, Lieutenant Dan here. I'm a teenager and a diehard Grand Theft Auto fan. The earliest GTA experience I can remember is when I was about 7 I played the original GTA (top-down) with my dad and all I can remember is that I kept walking into something and exploding. angry.gif

Anywho, which of the many eras of Black Sabbath is your favorite? (Ozzy, Dio, Martin, Hughes, Gillian, etc) Why?

>>:

user posted image

user posted image

>>:

user posted image

Go back to listening whatever you listen to, "gangster."

Statutory Ray
and after Paranoid it seemed that every song Sabbath made with Ozzy was about drugs.

A lot of their songs were about drugs from the beginning.

The Wizard, Paranoid, Planet Caravan, Hand of Doom.

I love Dio as a vocalist, but the heavier, slower, bluesier early Black Sabbath beats everything in my mind.

Heaven and Hell, Mob Rules, etc are great but Dio was never that great of a songwriter, and it's mostly hit or miss in Rainbow, Black Sabbath, and as a solo artist.

and after Paranoid it seemed that every song Sabbath made with Ozzy was about drugs.

A lot of their songs were about drugs from the beginning.

The Wizard, Paranoid, Planet Caravan, Hand of Doom.

I love Dio as a vocalist, but the heavier, slower, bluesier early Black Sabbath beats everything in my mind.

Heaven and Hell, Mob Rules, etc are great but Dio was never that great of a songwriter, and it's mostly hit or miss in Rainbow, Black Sabbath, and as a solo artist.

x2.

Its Ozzy all the way for me. I respect Dio as a vocalist. The guy can sing, but I actually prefer Ozzy over him. Ozzy is just more interesting. His vocals sound like no one else.

Besides Dio as a songwriter? I mean I don't want to knock the guy, I jam out to him, he's f*ckin cool. But, dude. Seriously, his lyrics? They make me laugh more then anything else.

im50CZq.gif
Mii44or.gif

makiaveli777

>>:

user posted image

WTF?! i didnt do anything bad, i just dont know what your talking about, no need to act like a f*cking fag icon13.gif

user posted image

Moonshield

>>:

WTF?! i didnt do anything bad, i just dont know what your talking about, no need to act like a f*cking fag icon13.gif

Obviously he's talking about the band Black Sabbath, in case you've been living under a f*cking rock for 40 years. Don't be a moron.

I prefer Dio as a vocalist, and I enjoy his stuff with Sabbath, but Paranoid is hands-down my favorite Sabbath album. Ozzy's voice just fits with the dirty, sludgy music.

4XEtraA.jpg

makiaveli777

>>:

Obviously he's talking about the band Black Sabbath, in case you've been living under a f*cking rock for 40 years. Don't be a moron.

I prefer Dio as a vocalist, and I enjoy his stuff with Sabbath, but Paranoid is hands-down my favorite Sabbath album. Ozzy's voice just fits with the dirty, sludgy music.

I''m not really into that music, but i do know ozzy, hes on MTV: the osbournes tounge.gif

user posted image

>>:

I''m not really into that music, but i do know ozzy, hes on MTV: the osbournes tounge.gif

*facepalm*

Digital Murders

Dio>Everyone else.

Although the first three albums with Ozzy are very good, everything after Masters of Reality is just, bland to me. Like you said, all too drug related. Heaven and Hell (ftw) and Mob Rules are like...a resuscitation that Sabbath needed. Ozzy just started to sound sloppy, well, he is a sloppy singer. Dio, which everyone knows, is far superior in this department, plus his lyrics are varied. More subject matter.

btw, Heaven and Hell is the gayest name. It's Black Sabbath damn it.

Edited by Digital Murders
user posted image

>>:

user posted image

If you don't understand the subject matter of a topic, do not reply please. It seems like you're just posting for the sake of posting, which is spam.

makiaveli777

>>:

user posted image

If you don't understand the subject matter of a topic, do not reply please. It seems like you're just posting for the sake of posting, which is spam.

ahh i see, so your the one who reported me? this isnt spam i just liked to know what you were talking about. and i just posted that picture because i thought it was funny. no need to act like an ass an report me. icon13.gificon13.gif (for the sake of posting?? lol)

user posted image

>>:

user posted image

ahh i see, so your the one who reported me? this isnt spam i just liked to know what you were talking about. and i just posted that picture because i thought it was funny. no need to act like an ass an report me. icon13.gificon13.gif (for the sake of posting?? lol)

I wasn't acting an ass, I was being responsible. You weren't adding any intelligent discussion.

*ahem* moving on...

Sins of the Father is an awesome song. It's borderline industrial metal.

Posting some worthless "Wut?" picture has absolutely nothing to do with wanting to know about Black Sabbath. Go amuse yourself with other interneet pix on your own time; cause, in my opinion, Dio kicks ass. But full respect for Ozzy.

Definitaly the Ozzy stages. Paranoid? War Pigs? Mama, I'm Comin' Home? all quality songs. I prefer the sharper guitar of ozzies eras to the heavy stuff of dio's. Now lets look at apperiences; short and skinny wog or a f*cking nutter?

I am in no way hating dios music (I love it actually), but Ozzy is just a class and a half above.

Statutory Ray
Definitaly the Ozzy stages. Paranoid? War Pigs? Mama, I'm Comin' Home? all quality songs. I prefer the sharper guitar of ozzies eras to the heavy stuff of dio's. Now lets look at apperiences; short and skinny wog or a f*cking nutter?

I am in no way hating dios music (I love it actually), but Ozzy is just a class and a half above.

'Mama, I'm Comin' Home' isn't even a Black Sabbath song. It's was released in 1991, about 11 years after Ozzy was fired from Sabbath.

Also, Dio was heavier? C'mon, the title track of the self-titled Sabbath record is heavier than the rest of the catalog combined.

Scarface187
I prefer the sharper guitar of ozzies eras to the heavy stuff of dio's.

Have you listened to 'Into the Void' or 'Children of the Grave'? Both those songs (especially the latter) are way heavier than anything I've heard from the Dio era.

Musically I prefer the Ozzy era and vocal wise I prefer Dio but when Ozzy was with Sabbath his voice went with the music. Master of Reality has to be my favorite album.

user posted image

I prefer the sharper guitar of ozzies eras to the heavy stuff of dio's.

Have you listened to 'Into the Void' or 'Children of the Grave'? Both those songs (especially the latter) are way heavier than anything I've heard from the Dio era.

Musically I prefer the Ozzy era and vocal wise I prefer Dio but when Ozzy was with Sabbath his voice went with the music. Master of Reality has to be my favorite album.

You obviously haven't listened to Dehumanizer.

Statutory Ray

I don't see how Dehumanizer is heavier than a lot of early Sabbath songs. I guess heavy is subjective, but the only reason I can see it being considered so is the prevalence of palm muting and it's faster tempo. In my opinion, heaviness comes from the both the tone and speed of the music. I consider slower metal to be heavier, because I imagine heavy things moving slowly. Since the pitch of a sound is determined by it's frequency, it would only make sense that lower frequency sounds are "heavier," since they "move" slower.

A lot of people like to think that fast = heavy. Sure, fast music can be heavy, but slowing it down makes it even heavier. Most metalheads would probably disagree, but I find early Sabbath heavier than all of this "HEAVY AS FVCK BROOTAL" death metal that seems to exist only so the fans can flog each other over how fast a band plays, how technical the riffs are, or how low a guitar can be tuned before you can't tell the difference between half-steps.

A lot of people like to think that fast = heavy. Sure, fast music can be heavy, but slowing it down makes it even heavier. Most metalheads would probably disagree, but I find early Sabbath heavier than all of this "HEAVY AS FVCK BROOTAL" death metal that seems to exist only so the fans can flog each other over how fast a band plays, how technical the riffs are, or how low a guitar can be tuned before you can't tell the difference between half-steps.

Couldn't agree with you more on that.

I think Dio could be heavier, but only on a technical level; Ozzy had this heavy, dark mood to it. Dio is just...Dio. Then Ozzy kind of caught up with what was goin' on in the '80's, but his soloing after Black Sabbath with people like Randy was the sh*t.

Sure, fast music can be heavy, but slowing it down makes it even heavier.

A bit offtopic, but that is exactly what I thought. Just look at sonic clang's recreation of E1M8, from Doom. It's slow, but still heavy.

Back on topic, Ozzy > all.

• 2 weeks later...
Ph3L1z14n0

I like more Ozzy, no song of Dio's Sabbath can beat "Paranoid" and "Iron Man ", i have no idea were those "heavier riffs" are in Dio's era, one of the most badasses riffs in the history of rock is in "Iron Man".

Dio is a great singer, nice guy too, but his composition style is generic, "Heaven & Hell" and "Holy Diver" are the same f*cking song.

Don Garcia aka NjNakedSnake

I'm still upset they didn't use Ozzy Sabbath for IV.

Ph3L1z14n0

I'm still upset they didn't use Ozzy Sabbath for IV.

LRR is a good but really f*cking weird rock station confused.gif it certainly is better than Radio X, if it wasn't for Jude inlove.gif that would've been the worst station in any GTA.

Don Garcia aka NjNakedSnake

Pff, Radio X was much better than LRR and Sage pwns Iggy.

LRR was all over the place, Genesis is classic rock? Too many songs that felt out of place on a classic rock radio.

Ph3L1z14n0
Pff, Radio X was much better than LRR and Sage pwns Iggy.

LRR was all over the place, Genesis is classic rock? Too many songs that felt out of place on a classic rock radio.

Right, So Depeche Mode, Danzig and Soundgarden were better than Queen, The Who and Thin Lizzy?

Somebody needs a better taste in music, and yes, Genesis IS classic rock.

Yeah, Radio X had Living Colour, Alice In Chains, and Soundgarden, and Faith No More.

No were near fail.

darthYENIK

I think it's a tie between LRR and K-DST.

And personally I like Dio better than Ozzy.

Vanilla Shake
Yeah, Radio X had Living Colour, Alice In Chains, and Soundgarden, and Faith No More.

No were near fail.

Quoted for truth. Not to mention they had Stone Temple Pilots as well. Radio X is definitely my favorite station out of all the Grand Theft Auto games.

To get back on topic, I prefer the Ozzy years. I've never been a big fan of Ronnie James Dio, but I'm currently considering giving the Sabbath albums featuring him on vocals a listen.

TC718 / <629 / CF5

NGEh8XV.png