GTA IV Fallout: PS3 Outsells X360

SlappingOysters

SlappingOysters

Hi Guys,

Hot off the press. Sony are claiming victory in Australia regarding GTA IV related console sales.

Not trying to start a fanboy wall: just thought the report would prove interesting.

GTA3Freak-2001

Well I knew plenty of people with no next-gen consoles who were waiting for GTA IV to decide, with the many PS3 bundles and specials going on it doesn't surprise me that more copies of GTAIV were for the PS3 version.

TheSharkIsALie

It's all over the place depending on your country. Here in america, the 360 version is outselling the ps3 2:1.

GTA3Freak-2001

I retract my statement and say its hard to know who to believe, Xbox Marketing Australia said that the 360 was leading the sales of GTA IV.

Source

In the USA the market is largest, so it's more a microcosm in smaller countries. Often Japan is perceived this way and different release dates bear testimony to that as well.

It's Sony, don't forget about that. They say Cell can simulate the whole Earth...

SlappingOysters
It's all over the place depending on your country. Here in america, the 360 version is outselling the ps3 2:1.

Agreed about the regional stuff, although I just want to point out that article is primarliy about the number of consoles sold.

Anyone have any stats on actual consoles sold in the states and elsewhere?

It by far moved the most PS3 games record over past PS3 titles, so that may be the most impressive success on the PS3 front, and one can hope any hard figures sway Sony to not ignore the potential of every GTA for their console. Not saying exclusive or anything, but that Sony was not swayed to bank on GTA as MS did. If both had, it would have been rather interesting I can only imagine!

In the shops in the UK, all the 360 copies were sold out and ps3 still had quite a lot of copies, thats what Game and Gamestation said when i asked them. Also with the half-price bundle for the 360 compared to ps3, 360 is obviously going to sell more:

GTA IV with 360: £159.99

GTA IV with PS3: £319.99

I guess I don't understand why it matters what platform or system the game sells more on in a certain region. Are you such a fan of a certain console that you will put a flag out in front of your home with a PS3 or XBOX logo if it sells more GTA copies?

It reminds me of the threads I read where people say the Xbox caused the game to have less content while Wikipedia and other news says PS3 caused delay in production. Who cares!? I get the feeling this forum is here to talk about the game, not Sony or Microsoft who really have nothing to do with it.

Edited by g3treal

Also, it's easier to pirate a game on 360, where as on PS3 it's impossible. So PS3 outselling would make sense.

MyDirtySecretary

I dont really care. I have a Ps3, and a copy of GTA IV. Why wouldnt I be happy?

TheSharkIsALie
Also, it's easier to pirate a game on 360, where as on PS3 it's impossible. So PS3 outselling would make sense.

The ps3 only outsold the 360 in a few countries, in america(one of the biggest places) the 360 sold more regardless of the piracy rates on the 360. And it isn't impossible to pirate on the ps3, whoever told you that is a liar. In fact, there is a PS3 section on Demonoid(a torrent site) devoted to pirated PlayStation 3 games. There are several games that you can pirate and have been pirated. Even the recent beta for MGO has a pirate file that you can download and play on a modded PS3.

I guess I STILL don't understand why it matters what platform or system the game sells more on in a certain region or anywhere for that matter. Are you going to have a Playstation or Xbox parade in your town if one outsells the other? How about talking about the game for goodness sake.

Hi Guys,

Hot off the press. Sony are claiming victory in Australia regarding GTA IV related console sales.

Not trying to start a fanboy wall: just thought the report would prove interesting.

The truth is that when you look at independant infomation not by microsoft, sony, Xbox360 mags or ps3 mags etc... It's the xbox 360 version which is out selling.

The only reason that PS3 has done as well as it has is because they had the bundle and all the xbox 360 versions was sold out without any bundle packs needed.

Various shops have different quotes, for example, ASDA (WalMart owned company) said that PS3 pre-orders were 3:1 against 360 whereas GAME claimed it was 2:1 in the other direction. HMV said it was 1:1 at one point.

user posted image

Sorry...

The ps3 only outsold the 360 in a few countries, in america(one of the biggest places) the 360 sold more regardless of the piracy rates on the 360. And it isn't impossible to pirate on the ps3, whoever told you that is a liar. In fact, there is a PS3 section on Demonoid(a torrent site) devoted to pirated PlayStation 3 games. There are several games that you can pirate and have been pirated. Even the recent beta for MGO has a pirate file that you can download and play on a modded PS3.

I think you are wrong thier because Blu-Ray discs are hard but nearly impossible to pirate because where are you going to get blank Blu-Ray discs. And if there was some don't you think they would be quite a lot and people who want to pirate want things for free or like a fiver not 20.

emigrating

I think you are wrong thier because Blu-Ray discs are hard but nearly impossible to pirate because where are you going to get blank Blu-Ray discs. And if there was some don't you think they would be quite a lot and people who want to pirate want things for free or like a fiver not 20.

What, like these?

What, like these?

Yeah but i ain't seen any pirated Blu-Ray discs yet?

DDR Midian

Are we talking console sales or game sales? I think overall GTA IV has sold more games for the 360 version, yet it's boosted PS3 console sales much more than 360 console sales. Probably due to the fact it's got the bundle, and most 360 fans would have bought their consoles for things like Gears, Halo 3, Oblivion etc... while GTA IV is one of the first really huge games to hit the PS3, thus people would have been waiting for it before buying.