Do you still get lost in gta4?

eight8

This is actually the first GTA that I dont know by heart maybe I still need to play it more though.

Dillinger8

Still trying to get down the various alleyways and such on foot, I have the driving part down pat. Knowing a good escape alley is key in some of the hairier situations.

kaliberrrr

i cant memorize the areas for sh*t. the map is f*cking huge this time compared to GTA III. i barely could remember SA let alone this monster.

GTA3Freak-2001

Well for Bohan/Dukes etc. I am fairly well know most major thoroughfares and my general direction for specific things, still need to work on my alleyways and backstreets. tounge.gif

Nah, I dunno streets etc. And you know why? Cause I use taxi all the time. I Don't drive no more my self.

You're supposed to use the Street names, when we were looking at screenshots only...months ago, but a WayPoint and GPS make things rather easy to get around and about. I read this was borrowed from Saints Row, in fact!!

I only know small sections and even at that, I'm not interested in learning everything, I can take a cab everywhere I have to go, whats the point? Seriously though if they didn't include the cab feature, it'd be more interesting, I think the cab feature ruined a part of the game... Like sight seeing etc when doing missions especially if your racing against the 30 hour clock on your first time through so you don't have to do it again.

Shootin_spree

nope, but i no most of Bohan now.

it will take me about 3 months to memorize the rest.

lol

I've got a sense of direction mostly everywhere but saying that I don't know it as well as i know San Andreas, VC and III. I'm still not use to GTA showing Street names so I always forget to look down the bottom right. When I'm done playing I'm hoping I'll know all the main roads and where i'm going and what alleyways lead where etc

I have a sense of direction of where I'm going now. The backstreets and alleyways are still a little unknown, but I definately know where I'm going. If you dropped me in the middle of Broker / Dukes, disabled my HUD, and asked me to go to the Pay N Spray in Algonquin I'm pretty sure I could get there.

It's going to take a long time to memorize GTAIV contrary to how fast III and VC were memorized.

protexblue292

Well I have GTA III memorized like the back of my hand. I know Vice City pretty well too. SA I played that a sh*t ton so I like know almost everything but the map is real big so its impossible to know everything. I'm kind of getting a better sense of direction in GTA 4 except I don't really know Alderney too well.

guys, there is a pretty decent interactive map for those of you who get lost here:

http://grandtheftauto.ign.com/maps/1/Liberty-City-Map

as far as remembering the map, I know it does seem a bit more difficult, mostly because I have to watch every car and ped to make sure I don't brush a police vehicle, pay tolls, etc. and the HUD almost all of the time which is a royal pain in the ass. So it's taking much longer to remember the map layout for me as well.

Axe_Gaijin

I can find my way from my safehouses in Algonquin to Alderny or Bohan, but I still get lost on occasion going to pick up a car in Broker. There must be a lot of shortcuts and allyways I've never been to either biggrin.gif

Spend some time looking around real hard. There's a mission which covers this about 25+% into the game. You would be surprised that you can climb buildings, walls and stuff. Maybe set up a multiplayer game with yourself and play a bit to see just where you can go. Use that map I linked above to find some hidden areas too!

I think it's harder in this one to learn your way around by memory alone, because almost all the buildings are different. But i'm gradually getting there, i'm about to start my second go through, i just completed 100% so yay me.

Hopefully by the end of this round i'll be fine. I find the best way to learn your way around is to NOT use the taxis, even though it is sooo much easier.

Try driving to certain landmarks. or from safehouse to safehouse. You must vaguely know where things are now. I think th ebiggest trouble i have is in alderney.

Yeah I'm sort of disappointed that I dont know LC like I knew VC and SA. I suppose it's only a few weeks in, but I dont know if I'll be playing this game as long as I did VC anyway.

I only know small sections and even at that, I'm not interested in learning everything, I can take a cab everywhere I have to go, whats the point? Seriously though if they didn't include the cab feature, it'd be more interesting, I think the cab feature ruined a part of the game... Like sight seeing etc when doing missions especially if your racing against the 30 hour clock on your first time through so you don't have to do it again.

Your loss, I almost never use taxis, unless I need to get somewhere fast or when I'm drunk.

I mostly simply like to walk around the city and explore.

Considering this, I know Dukes, Bohan and Broker pretty well, though I still need to explore Algonquin some more. Alderney is still locked for me.

MichaelCastleTT

im blessed with a half photographic memory so im pretty much set with where im going.. alien.gif it is quite large and i'll admit having a full photo-mem would REALLY help!

still got a few places ive not really been to yet mind you.. whatsthat.gif

Razor Sharp

I still get lost, but I havn´t palyed too much yet, I´m about 25% through.

I still have problems to get from the middle of broker to bohan without gps..kinda sad

Yeah,

Sadly enough i use GPS and Taxi's too much.

But im learning as i go. It'll be a while before i memorise EVERYTHING i'd imagine.

The map is more cluttered and intensly packed than in SA.

I made sure I no my way around but the reason why people don't learn is because of the option of waypoints and taxi's and automatic tracking to the next destination etc...

Well thats my opinion it was the same with saints row as well.

emigrating

The thing with the GPS is though, there are soo many one-way streets in the game that using the GPS blindly it will take you double the amount of time getting from A to B than if you just bomb down the one-way streets or alleys.

I still get "lost" in Alderney, pretty much familiar with the rest of the map.

Jack-Stowe

Yes haha i still have to refer to the map sometimes. I do get lost now and then. But if im on a mission obviously it tells u were to go by roads. unless u take it off..

TheItalianOak

You're not forced to take the cab

emigrating

You're not forced to take the cab

Actually, you sometimes are - try getting from Alderney to Bohan in less than an hour (in-game time) to pick up one of your "dates".

Good point actually.

I travelled from the fairground to meet Dwayne in a helicopter yesterday, was in the air and over to his almost straight away and he moaned at me for beign late.

rebalrouser
Well for Bohan/Dukes etc. I am fairly well know most major thoroughfares and my general direction for specific things, still need to work on my alleyways and backstreets. tounge.gif

Word.

Ashhole820

No one's forcing you to take a cab. It's just a good feature to the game, and I bet if it wasn't in the game, youd bitch and moan about that.