EA attempted purchase of Take-two

Cop General Bob

Cop General Bob

As some of you might well know at this stage, the largest video game developer in America, Electronic arts, recently attempted to buy out Rockstar's parent company Take-Two Interactive. EA offered T2 about $2 billion which T2 considered hard but then rejected it at the last minute. However, EA have continued to press in buying out one of their main competitors in the market and T2 has said they will discuss the offer again shortly after GTA 4's release.

So, what kind of thoughts do you have on this? If EA does manage to buy out T2, do you think it will effect Rockstar or any other company under T2's control? I wonder if we will see EA's logo pasted on other GTA games in the future...

Digïtál £vîl

I highly doubt it will happen.

Take-Two refused their initial offer of a buyout and so EA offered a tender offer directly to the stockholders in an attempt to buy the company out that way without the directors approval. The stockholders listened to their directors who asked them to hold off on accepting any deal from EA and EA modified their tender offer to a slightly lower bid to keep it on the table. However, since the release of GTA IV, T2 stock has risen above the initial tender offer price and thus it would be stupid for any person investing in Take-Two to consider an offer from EA.

They may try again, but if they do end up succeeding, I personally will write to the SEC to complain about violations. Am I the only one concerned about the concept of EA being the ONLY main sports video game publisher around? You get rid of Take-Two and you get rid of 2k Sports. That is EAs real hope. GTA is only a side product to them.

Edited by Digïtál £vîl

It won't happen. EA is absolute sh*t. We know it, EA knows it, and T2 especially knows it. Funny how they have to rely on buying good games nowadays. I guess rehashing Madden every year gets bland after a while.

I've read somewhere that Sam Houser said that he doesn't much care if EA buys T2, I don't think it will much affect the GTA games. That's pretty much all I care about, confused.gif

kdr9l4.png

gta_player5
They may try again, but if they do end up succeeding, I personally will write to the SEC to complain about violations. Am I the only one concerned about the concept of EA being the ONLY main sports video game publisher around? You get rid of Take-Two and you get rid of 2k Sports. That is EAs real hope. GTA is only a side product to them.

That is my best guess as well. They have the NFL games locked down for another few years, so why not purchase the company that bought the rights to the copyrighted material in Major League Baseball? EA wants T2 so they can single handedly dominate the sports video game industry. They have Madden, NBA Live, and if they buy T2 they'll have MVP Baseball back in production. GTA would simply be a profitable side project to them.

mIFI0NR_zps02a3f445.png

BuffaloSoldier

I really don't want to swing into Grove Street and see an Axe Bodywash advertisement on Sweet's house...

It won't happen. EA is absolute sh*t. We know it, EA knows it, and T2 especially knows it. Funny how they have to rely on buying good games nowadays. I guess rehashing Madden every year gets bland after a while.

Your right, EA are living on brilliant games like CRYSIS and Timesplitters, but they don't even make them!

They just publish them!

I've read somewhere that Sam Houser said that he doesn't much care if EA buys T2, I don't think it will much affect the GTA games. That's pretty much all I care about.

It probably would affect them.

I've read somewhere that Sam Houser said that he doesn't much care if EA buys T2, I don't think it will much affect the GTA games. That's pretty much all I care about.

Care to explain how?

Care to explain how?

EA tends to make year-after-year on theier own games (not the ones that they publish). Also, most are bashed for so many ingame ads (like in BF2142, where you are in the future and I saw an ad for the Spiderman 3 movie on Blu-Ray lol.gif )

Also, it lacks fun.

Care to explain how?

EA tends to make year-after-year on theier own games (not the ones that they publish). Also, most are bashed for so many ingame ads (like in BF2142, where you are in the future and I saw an ad for the Spiderman 3 movie on Blu-Ray lol.gif )

Also, it lacks fun.

No, I meant how would the T2 buyover by EA affect Rockstar's GTA game series?

Care to explain how?

Also, it lacks fun.

No, I meant how would the T2 buyover by EA affect Rockstar's GTA game series?

Oh, got it...

Well, as far as I know, Rockstar would need to "deattach" from T2 group and seek another "sponsor", and EA would be wainting with theier arms wide open for GTA, but they would want to make modifications to the formula...

That's my 2 cents

Also, word in "" are the words I don't know exactly what they are called in english.

^^If that's true, then GTA is gonna be f*cked up. I wouldn't want another game like Godfather.

The last time I heard EA's initial offer was rejected. What now?

Don't know. Hope T2 is still sane enought to reject it again. They can get all the money they want from making good games.

^^If that's true, then GTA is gonna be f*cked up. I wouldn't want another game like Godfather.

The last time I heard EA's initial offer was rejected. What now?

They made a new offer (less money) which is supposed to expire sometime soon.

Digïtál £vîl

Take-Two will not be bought out by EA unless there is a massive change in the offer. If a direct 2 billion dollar buyout wasn't enough to please the directors, and a 26 dollar per stock buyout wasn't enough to please the stockholders, then I doubt EA will be back to do anything soon. They tried the two main methods and failed and will have to reconsider how badly they want Take-Two, regroup, and try again.

Like I said, they are mainly focused on obtaining the 2k Sports titles. However, EA is only getting away with their offer because they claim that their primary interest is with Rockstar and the GTA franchise. I personally don't believe that is the case. I think that they are only claiming that so they can try to get around any anti-trust laws. By saying their interest is mainly for a separate thing then their main goal, they can make it seem like 2k Sports is not a focus and hope that people won't notice the complete destruction of a competitive market on video game sports titles.

EA is very much a "family friendly" company and I can't see them changing their focus for something like R*, who publishes a lot of mature games in comparison. R* is popular but they don't make much money wise in a balanced sense. They mainly make large profits in occasional releases. Other then GTA, most of their games are only marginal income makers. Sure, the GTA series makes a lot of money, but at the rate of about one GTA game every 3 years, and with a current production value of around 100 million, it doesn't seem to be financially worth it (compared to their offer price) unless you consider the increase in sales they will also get from the absorption of 2K Sports.

All I've got to say is:

Skate. = awesome.

NFS's = ok, nice models, lame pop culture influence, but that's what the game is about

COD4 = one of the most heavily played games on LIVE

BF/2/etc = a well received game, I haven't played it much myself, but I think the game looks great and seemed just fine

Need I go on? My point is, most EA games are good, and sell quite a f*cking bit. I don't understand how the masses here diss it when the games from EA are selling so good and being played so much. You people don't make sense.

Picolini is now Pico

user posted image

Don Garcia aka NjNakedSnake

My only reason for telling EA to leave Rstar be is they would most likely water the games down.

For that and pretty much that alone, I want EA to keep their hands off Rockstar.

TheDude5000
All I've got to say is:

Skate. = awesome.

NFS's = ok, nice models, lame pop culture influence, but that's what the game is about

BF/2/etc = a well received game, I haven't played it much myself, but I think the game looks great and seemed just fine

Need I go on? My point is, most EA games are good, and sell quite a f*cking bit. I don't understand how the masses here diss it when the games from EA are selling so good and being played so much. You people don't make sense.

Yeah COD 4 was great. They also published TES IV: Oblivion which is fantastic. Oh, and I love Splinter Cell: Double Agent as well. Another good one is Dead Or Alive 4.

How can you hate them with fantastic games like those?

user posted image

HolyGrenadeFrenzy

Well the EA Creator of the Sims did follow the GTA series carefully while developing Spore and here is Another Play Sample of Spore.......I guess that Take-Two with all of the cool games they have are considered major competition. Buying out the your rival is rather old-school for dealing with the need for consumers.

Make no mistake their eyes are on the Civilization series as well.

CivIV is one of my favorites.

If they want Take-Two then why not 2K as well?

Fire Axis had better watch out!

Edited by HolyGrenadeFrenzy

I don't hate EA games. It's just that I don't want them to turn GTA into a Godfather. Man, that game was lame.

original gangster
All I've got to say is:

Skate. = awesome.

Yeah COD 4 was great. They also published TES IV: Oblivion which is fantastic. Oh, and I love Splinter Cell: Double Agent as well. Another good one is Dead Or Alive 4.

How can you hate them with fantastic games like those?

Since when did EA have anything at all to do with any of those games?

I thought that once GTA IV was released that EA would give up because they are just trying to get some quick money from the best game since the last best one dontgetit.gif and it appears that they have given up at least for a little while.

What I'm trying to say is that EA didn't get the profits they were after and now they might just give up because the profits aren't there or they cannot afford to buy them out anymore. wink.gif

All I've got to say is:

Skate. = awesome.

I gotta agree. Skate is good. COD4 is awesome. But, NFS? Pro Street sucked ass. Also, we are tired of getting anual games, and that's what they do that pisses us off. They just put, let's say, takedowns, as in Pro Street, but remove a lot of stuff, then, yeah, the game is worse. Most people are afraid of that happening with GTA.

HolyGrenadeFrenzy

I want an adult game to be produced, with a name like Butcher of the Apocalypse, THAT DOESN'T SUCK!

Please let us Prey upon the evils of the world, for the countenance and will of all that is truely good, until the bitter end? biggrin.gif

All I've got to say is:

Skate. = awesome.

I gotta agree. Skate is good. COD4 is awesome. But, NFS? Pro Street sucked ass. Also, we are tired of getting anual games, and that's what they do that pisses us off. They just put, let's say, takedowns, as in Pro Street, but remove a lot of stuff, then, yeah, the game is worse. Most people are afraid of that happening with GTA.

CoD4 has NOTHING to do with EA.

It was developed by Infinity Ward and published by Activision.

Jesus'En'Hitler420

All I've got to say is:

Skate. = awesome.

CoD4 has NOTHING to do with EA.

It was developed by Infinity Ward and published by Activision.

HA! I was about to say the samething. I almost feel insulted for Infinity Ward since they originally broke off FROM EA to make Call of Duty. (Most of the creators had a hand in making Medal of Honor: Allied Assault which was made by EA, and we can see that all the talent in that series went with them)

Did EA ever release any Ultra-Violent games? Sure they have alot of war simulators etc, but None gets close to the violent content of the GTA series and Manhunt. If and just IF T2 would cave in to the offer, do you think a future GTA release would be alot less violent? would EA buckle under the pressure from Jack Thompson and censorship?

user posted image

Someone help me out here, I was just thinking this a few minutes ago if EA does buyout T2/R* what will happen to this forum will they take control of it too?. After all this is the home of the GTA Fan base. nervous.gif