My first real program.

Saggy

Well, as part as my foray back into programming, I decided that I wanted to begin with an encryption program. The fact that I was mostly interested in the programming aspect of it, and not learning complex cryptographic algorithims, led me to want to do it with XOR encryption--which is, as most programmers and cryptographers know, is mostly just bunk, or "snake-oil", in the world of encryption.

I wanted to challenge myself though, so instead of just writing another lame XOR encryption program, I attempted to address all of the vulnerabilities with the way XOR encryption worked by in most implementations of it in the "simpler" form. K^2 helped me out a lot for the coding aspects, explaining things to me that I probably still wouldn't have figured out if I was just trying to use my books.

Anyway, as part of the "programming" experience, I was trying to create something for public use, that was actually practical in some way, so I released it under GPL and packaged it up under the name XCET, for "XOR Console Encryption Tool." Kind of a lame name, right, well I couldn't really think of anything else. At least now it sounds EXTREME! Heh, just kidding.

Well, in any case, I was wondering if I could possible get a critique or feedback on it from some of the C/C++ programmers here. I understand the practicality of the program itself isn't exactly stellar considering the multitude of encryption programs out that not only use better standards but have better features, but I'm just curious as to what parts of the code and packaging could have been done better and in what ways. I finished it months ago, and a handful of people have downloaded it, but I still haven't gotten any feedback. I'm certainly not really looking for praises, but I'm really curious to see what people think in general, if there's way I could have made it faster, made the encryption more secure, or if I've really been successful in offering "strong" encryption; it would be extremely interesting to hear a cryptographers opinion on it, but I don't know if I'm going to be that lucky. tounge.gif

But, yeah, enough with the blabbing, here's the link to the rar.

http://www.mousebaked.org/xcet.rar

It has a Windows binary that was compiled on Windows XP SP2, and a Linux binary that was compiled on Linux 2.6.24-16, and of course the source, which 64-bit users will need to compile as both the Windows and Linux binary were compiled on 32-bit machines.. Normally I think that would be a problem given the amount of 64-bit Windows users that wouldn't want to compile the source, but I expect the people here won't mind. I wrote the code mostly for gcc, but Dev-C++ should be able to compile it just the same, or anything with Mingw as well. Anyway, hopefully someone finds it interesting enough to comment.

For an interesting and hilarious anecdote: The interesting thing about making an encryption program is that you have to make it known to the proper agencies if you're doing it in America. Well, the laws I was reading were quite old, and it took a while to find newly updated ones. In the end, it turned out that any encryption that could be considered "strong" encryption ( a key over 40-bits, apparently ), had to be submitted to the proper agencies. Now, the curious thing about this, was at first I was reading a law for it written in 1998, that stated that any program must have written approval first, or the person will incur huge fines and prison time, etc. That was a little scary, considering I had already put it up, and a few people had already downloaded it--from Iran. So, obviously I was kind of regretting it, took it down for a bit and read up on the law more. It turns out that if it is GNU, all you have to do is just send the source code, and a link to where it will be hosted, and it will pretty much be "implied approval". In the end, I was so frightened about the prospect of huge penalties ( something like 10 years in prison ), that I submitted a XOR encryption program to the NSA as a "strong encryption" utility. I can only imagine what they were thinking. I even had to send another email regarding it, because at first my mail didn't go through to the proper address, and I got no reply to that. I'm pretty sure they all must just be cracking up, too polite to say anything. tounge.gif

QUOTE (K^2) ...not only is it legal for you to go around with a concealed penis, it requires absolutely no registration!

Haven't tried it but it sounds good (i think the name sounds cool biggrin.gif). I noticed on your sf forum (here) that you are looking for a Win32 GUI library. I use Rad C++ for making all my Windows GUIs, it's really easy to use.

Haven't tried it but it sounds good (i think the name sounds cool biggrin.gif). I noticed on your sf forum (here) that you are looking for a Win32 GUI library. I use Rad C++ for making all my Windows GUIs, it's really easy to use.

Yeah, I was, but then I started focusing more on trying to build a recursive function for the console version of it. You know, something that would mimic the operation of

cp -R dir dir2

Encrypting all of the files and structures into dir2. I figure that's a more useful thing to work on than a GUI, especially 'cause I have more of a shot at figuring that out before I do Win32 stuff. Maybe I'll be able to knock one out with that Rad C++ one.

QUOTE (K^2) ...not only is it legal for you to go around with a concealed penis, it requires absolutely no registration!