is gta4 REALLY the worst gta?

boothy

.Up&Coming.
i belive that iv isnt the worst but is no wer near the best

gta has been known 4 its wildness and funness

i believe that most of that has been killed out in gta iv

its 2 realistic, stick 2 the basics R* we love the basic stuff just givve us new missions new cities but keep the gta style game!!

**my opinion** Shifty41s_beerhatsmilie2.gif

R* wanted to go in a more mature direction, and I think they accomplished that very well. I think they thought that the gamers would get bored with the same type of feel, so they took a risk and went somewhere new.

I like it. If I want a more fun feel, I'll just play the old games. Now, R* just needs a new location, and I'm satisfied.

NEW ACCOUNT

Panz

darkgunner93
not SA part 2

was SA really just VC part 2 ?

dont you think stupid statements help make for a hostile discussion

Says the guy who just made a thread about how good Saints Row was.

Coming from someone who probably has never even played Saints Row or 2.

You're an imbecile. Unless you can have a reasonable, intelligent discussion, go away.

You couldn't be more wrong.

I have played Saints Row, check my GT if you want proof. I'm not a GTA fanboy and I do like SR aswell, am just saying if you want an unrealistic OTT game go play Saints Row.

Vanilla Shake
The features were taken out becuase the game was getting stupid and childish, if they added anymore from what SA contained then it would just be stupid. GTA4 brings the series  to a much more mature stand point i reckon. Yes, the humour is still there, but in many cases i think it's a lot more subtle, and really concentrates on a deep, gritty storyline that makes 4 so f*cking aweosme.

People who hate it becuase they expected San Andreas part 2  have only ever disappointed themselves as Rockstar didnt mention SA's features once to any previewer.

I feel VCS was the most lacking of the series becuase the formula was jsut getting stale and needed 4 to point it in a fresher direction.

EDIT: Rushed? Three and a half years and a 6 month delay is NOT rushed. You clearly have no idea how long it takes to develop a good game from scratch.

here here

Thirded. Not to mention that GTA IV is the most expensive game (budget wise) to date.

Fourth-ded

IV is a next step, gaming wise. SA's gameplay was awesome no doubt, but was overplayed. It was like a prototype to GTA:Sims (to an extent)

But that's just my opinion, man. wink.gif

Fifth-ed.

This game is a masterpiece. Everybody that was disappointed were just expecting everything from San Andreas to be included in this one, when most of those features just wouldn't fit in. They focused on creating a large, realistic, insanely detailed city, and they did a damn good job at it. If you want customization and loads of pointless mini-games, wait for Saints Row 2.

And the game was by all means not rushed. They've spent basically four years making this game. Many of their weekends were spent at the office, trying to make the game as perfect as possible. They bust their asses and this is the thanks they get: "OH WHERE TEH HELL IZ TEH CUSTOMIZATION AND AEROPLANEZ, PARACHOOTS PIMP MY RIDE LOLZ TIS GAME SUXX THEY DONT EVEN HAVE GUD MUZIC".

This game is quite simply a work of art in my opinion. If you feel that it sucks because it lacks some features, then whatever. Millions of others are still trying to pick their jaws up from the floor.

TC718 / <629 / CF5

NGEh8XV.png

casey-2pac
i belive that iv isnt the worst but is no wer near the best

gta has been known 4 its wildness and funness

i believe that most of that has been killed out in gta iv

its 2 realistic, stick 2 the basics R* we love the basic stuff just givve us new missions new cities but keep the gta style game!!

**my opinion**  Shifty41s_beerhatsmilie2.gif

R* wanted to go in a more mature direction, and I think they accomplished that very well. I think they thought that the gamers would get bored with the same type of feel, so they took a risk and went somewhere new.

I like it. If I want a more fun feel, I'll just play the old games. Now, R* just needs a new location, and I'm satisfied.

yeah man i hear ya.

but check it, i think that they have accomplished something no other game developers have ever done and that is create a real environment 4 you 2 play in. it seems a bit too much like 'the getaway' its very down 2 earth and real.

if R* could collaborate both the maturaty and the funness into a whole new city(s) then i think they would have developed THE perfect game!!

not SA part 2

was SA really just VC part 2 ?

dont you think stupid statements help make for a hostile discussion

Says the guy who just made a thread about how good Saints Row was.

Coming from someone who probably has never even played Saints Row or 2.

You're an imbecile. Unless you can have a reasonable, intelligent discussion, go away.

You couldn't be more wrong.

I have played Saints Row, check my GT if you want proof. I'm not a GTA fanboy and I do like SR aswell, am just saying if you want an unrealistic OTT game go play Saints Row.

Unrealistic? I never claimed to be wanting an unrealistic game, but I suppose you weren't exactly talking to me.

How would more features in the game make it unrealistic though? I'm not asking for equip-able vibrators, or jet-packs. I'm just saying the game could've used more clothing options, stores. It could've gone so much further into more weapons and even car customization for variety. But I'm not complaining about that. I'm complaining that they said there'd be things that weren't there. Hanging from cars, different phones, a lot of interiors, and and interactive city. The only thing they delivered was an excellent story with good dialogue and an awesome physics engine. But the little things make a game too.

EDIT:: This game was a masterpiece in terms of story and game-play, but as said before, the re-play value is close to none.

not everyone is eaisly impressed

liking the game - seeing things that should be improved

^ 2 different things

erm, has everyone forgot what the topic is about?

99.98% of teenagers surround their minds with cod4, if your a part of the 00.02% that doesn't own the game, put this in your sig.

Gtafan3394life

Nope it's the best.

GTA IV...game is already a classic to me smile.gif

GTA VC

GTA SAN

GTA LSC

GTA LCS

Dackiiweed

Firstly what i wanna say is..."is gta4 REALLY the worst gta?, only ppl disapointed with gta4 answer", right now its a forum, i can post anywhere i like, so i am going to post here.

Anyway, not played IV yet but i just know it will be possibly the best from what i have seen! I think the worst GTA for me, come to think of it...i think III was definitely my most enjoyable, until SA what i absolutely thought was fantastic, although the missions got boring for me, with the little dodo plane sh*t that pissed me off to the limit, anyway apart from that my worst GTA game was LCS, as good as some of it was, it just felt to similar as VC, and i didn't like that much.

dozingoff.gif

The features were taken out becuase the game was getting stupid and childish, if they added anymore from what SA contained then it would just be stupid. GTA4 brings the series  to a much more mature stand point i reckon. Yes, the humour is still there, but in many cases i think it's a lot more subtle, and really concentrates on a deep, gritty storyline that makes 4 so f*cking aweosme.

People who hate it becuase they expected San Andreas part 2  have only ever disappointed themselves as Rockstar didnt mention SA's features once to any previewer.

I feel VCS was the most lacking of the series becuase the formula was jsut getting stale and needed 4 to point it in a fresher direction.

EDIT: Rushed? Three and a half years and a 6 month delay is NOT rushed. You clearly have no idea how long it takes to develop a good game from scratch.

here here

Thirded. Not to mention that GTA IV is the most expensive game (budget wise) to date.

Fourth-ded

IV is a next step, gaming wise. SA's gameplay was awesome no doubt, but was overplayed. It was like a prototype to GTA:Sims (to an extent)

Fifth-ed.

This game is a masterpiece. Everybody that was disappointed were just expecting everything from San Andreas to be included in this one, when most of those features just wouldn't fit in. They focused on creating a large, realistic, insanely detailed city, and they did a damn good job at it. If you want customization and loads of pointless mini-games, wait for Saints Row 2.

And the game was by all means not rushed. They've spent basically four years making this game. Many of their weekends were spent at the office, trying to make the game as perfect as possible. They bust their asses and this is the thanks they get: "OH WHERE TEH HELL IZ TEH CUSTOMIZATION AND AEROPLANEZ, PARACHOOTS PIMP MY RIDE LOLZ TIS GAME SUXX THEY DONT EVEN HAVE GUD MUZIC".

This game is quite simply a work of art in my opinion. If you feel that it sucks because it lacks some features, then whatever. Millions of others are still trying to pick their jaws up from the floor.

Six-thed. I still find GTA IV funny. Although not as many of the pedestrians' lines are as over-the-top and funny, it makes up for it with the things like "Die on the Accelerator" or "Die with face on Horn Button" (or both).

As with SA, most beat-cops sound like they WANT to lose their huge pension & be fired. But the SWAT & FIB operatives seem alot more professional sounding.

Plus, is it just me or has anyone else notice that the beat-cops tend to act a little dumber and make mistakes more often than the SWAT and FIB?

If so, it's a really interesting and nice representation of the additional training, experience, and practice that the SWAT & FIB/FBI operatives have.

Regards,

Kurtis

Sorry for the long post tounge.gif Spelling mistakes mean that i jsut dont care anymore.

Firstly. everyone's all entitled to their opinions. Just becuase i disagree doesnt mean i'm going to come around and kill you for it. It's jsut a shame no one can put forward an educated argument for actually disliking the game other than 'IT'S NOT SAN ANDREAS!!!11'

SA features don't suck, they just wouldnt work in GTA4 and they wouldn't have benefitted the game in any way. You all seem to be asking for San Andreas's content. A fat, heavily tatooed Russian immigrant flying around on a Jetpack going into high security army bases and stealing government information, holding a dildo with clown hair and huge specks, wearing nothing but heart boxers with a purple stallion with nitros waiting as a getaway car near the entrance . Yeah right....He can barely keep himself afloat let alone meet those kinds of people or have time to do any of that stuff.

'A story of rags to slightly better rags' the official one line nutshell of the game. When would odd and bizzare customisation and pimping of cars ever fit into that single sentence? In SA it worked becuase gangsters (whether stereotypically or not I ahve no idea) seem to enjoy that kind of thing, so it makes sense.

SA is SA and it's good for what it is. GTA4 is the start of a NEW series of games in the franchise. R* have said from the very beginning that it wouldnt bare much resemblance to the other games, whcih is why all the crazy side missions have gone and odd missions that jsut wouldnt happen.

Realism has been what R* have been going for since day one, if you (Or anyone) didnt know what that would have meant for the series, then you didnt do any reasearch into the meaning or what effect it would ahve on how the word and concept would change the GTA formula.

Having just read what i wrote, i think i'll come to the conclusion that what you can do in GTA4 has been heavily based apon Nikos personality, character, motives and where his loyalties lie. The side missions basically involve doing favours for his friends in return for money. Would you expect to see someone like Niko delivering pizzas or running around finding people to heal or going through checkpoints on the EL trail on a motocycle for no reason whatsoever? I dont see it happening.

@Dead: You do raise a good point about maybe the odd tweak here and there. But it's a good thing that the game isnt perfect and things can be changed. It leaves Rockstar with soemtihng to pick up on from the fans and add into the next game.

I think R* intentionally left things out so they could add it into the next game. EG: Flamethrower. THink of GTA4 as a test dummy, and a damn fine one at that.

Edited by kippers.

kippers.png

Cortexmelon

I hate when people complain about the features that aren't in it, because they said they wouldn't be in about a year ago.

gta_player5

here here

Fourth-ded

Fifth-ed.

Don't forget to mention that the delay was because it was so incredibly detailed. They said when the game was delayed that some things were more in depth than they expected them to be. wink.gif

The game is easily one of, if not the best Grand Theft Auto game to date in my opinion. Don't get me wrong, I loved the other ones, III, Vice City, San Andreas, they're all great in their own way. They each have good things, and bad things about them, any game will. San Andreas was a good game, but some of the things in the game made it very unrealistic. Rockstar wanted to head in a new direction and create a more realistic, in-depth, detailed, and serious game. They succeeded in doing so.

mIFI0NR_zps02a3f445.png

I hate when people complain about the features that aren't in it, because they said they wouldn't be in about a year ago.

Ex-f*cking-xactly People are complaining about things that we were told not to be in. Not only that but most of this was said later last year. OK, some of the stuff wasn't told about until later but the big stuff like car customizations, and planes are old as hell. Anyway this is not the worst GTA, GTA on gameboy?

I have to admit, i quite enjoyed playing GTA: Advance whenever i was bored

kippers.png

It's not the worst by a long shot. If you count the original 4 top down GTA games (including the two London mission packs) and the GBA version (which actually added a LOT to continuity), it's still one of the best.

I personally think it's wrong of them just to discard the fantastic universe they've built up over the last 7-10 years (7 if you're just going from 3d, 10 if you're counting El Burro from GTA 1), which is why I would put it at say...4th or 5th favourite.

GTA III is STILL the best GTA, based upon how much it changed the series and actually lived up to expectations.

IV is good for the realism aspect and characters because, over-all, it's one where I don't really dislike any of people you encounter. It's not got anyone THAT memorable either. There's some bits that will stick out in your mind - the "Three Leaf Clover" mission. Though the realism does kind of disappear once you start earning mega money, like all GTAs and the storyline takes a hit. Before, it was all about "more more more" with GTA - keep going, keep doing more, kill people because you have to.

All the characters before WANTED to be criminals as well. They chose that life and felt it was their right. Niko constantly kind of bitches and tries to blame things on a bad past. In several points, he has the opportunity to just get out without much hassle, yet he carries on to help his cousin and earn more money. But he never contributes anything. It's a really big flaw in the story. You never feel like you have it to spend on. In GTA III - it was bombs from 8 Ball, or the Ransom from Catalina. In VC it was that you wanted to take over the empire, so you buy properties to make money. CJ just wanted a load of bling and houses. Niko just earns a lot of money and does nothing with it.

For me - VCS and the two London mission packs are the worst. VCS was just boring and the characters all REALLY annoyed me.

IV just kind of ranks somewhere in the middle. It's alright but it seems a really short-sighted game. They focused too much on making you go "wow" with details, but they miss the bigger picture completely.

Any complaints I have, and I have them, are null and void. This is THE BEST GTA so far. If and when I buy another version of it, I'll comment on my feelings regarding Xb360 vs PC vs PS3! colgate.gif

Why do people say it's too realistic? FFS CJ had to eat, and workout. Isnt that just as realistic?

Anyway GTA IV is definitely not the worst GTA. I don't like to say which the worst GTA is, because they all offer different things.

Here's my list based on story, and overall fun.

1: GTA IV

2: GTA VC

3: GTA III

4: GTA SA

5: GTA VCS

6: GTA LCS

For me the stories are both the worst.

I don't have a worst GTA out of the 4 because in each one, something fresh was delivered by Rockstar.

-GTAIII put GTA into 3D, and was innovative.

-VC added very little to GTAIII feature wise, but it's storyline was so much better, it had the best music in the series, and the mission structure was superb.

-SA was maybe the biggest jump we have seen in the series..graphics aside. It's feature set was amazing, it's storyline was solid(not as good as VC, though), the map was much larger then VC and maybe too large for last gen. and it added much more depth to the series.

-IV is the most realistic, and it's storyline is the best in the series, the Niko-main characters relations have a more detail/depth to them then in the past GTA's, and although the map is smaller then SA, the detail is so far ahead of any game this generation, it's in it's own league.

All 4 GTA's(not the stories) are masterpices, and i'd take a remake of say VC with this gen's graphics, over all the top games on both consoles.

The only 'worse' games of the GTA series are the stories.

@Philip043, Not Uncharted, though...more detail and some better animation and gun play to be sure. I much prefer the gunplay mech of that game, but there are things to like about both!! monocle.gif

Eagleheart

Here's my rankings, sorry if you think SA wasn't the best but it was just so funny that it's still my favorite.

1. San Andreas

2. Vice City

3. GTA IV

4. Liberty City Stories

5. GTA III

6. Vice CIty Stories

Here's my rankings, sorry if you think SA wasn't the best but it was just so funny that it's still my favorite.

1. San Andreas

2. Vice City

3. GTA IV

4. Liberty City Stories

5. GTA III

6. Vice CIty Stories

Here is my list. I love SA but I can't replay it as many times as VC so that knocked it down. Anyway:

1.Vice City

2.San An

3.GTA IV (Will probably move up on the list when I beat it)

4.GTA III

5. All the stories and the games before going 3d

Mr_Prickles
So, you're dissapoint because you can't turn the character into Al Roker with pink hair? San Andreas is the worst GTA in the III series.

Agreed. One of the most annoying things I found with San Andreas was that I just couldn't seem to make CJ look... NORMAL.

My list of favourite GTAs, excluding the London x-packs:

1. GTA IV (Even though I've only watched a friend play it sad.gif)

2. GTA III

3. GTA Vice City

4. GTA LCS

5. GTA San Andreas

6. GTA2

7. GTA VCS

8. GTA

FrozenFire

I still don't know why everyone loves VC so much <_<

It's cool and all, and it had some damn fine music (The 80's rocked) but it's really nothing special. It's a blatant rip of Scarface, and Rockstar aren't trying to hide that fact. tounge.gif

So that basically takes away the whole "great story" aspect, since it's barely their own. Just different characters in the same situations.

GTA IV is just amazing. The storyline is believable. It's a harsh look into what life is really like for someone in Niko's position. You can't trust people, you do what you do for money, even if it goes against your morals.

I absolutely love the driving physics. They're realistic enough, without being like a driving simulator. (Which is good, because cars turning like boats in molasses is no fun) Every perfect turn at 200 miles per hour is like a small victory for me. biggrin.gif

The weapons, though fewer, are just way better. They sound better, work better, and feel better. Once I had access to anything stronger than a pistol in past GTA's, I never used them again. But in IV, the pistol is one of my favorite weapons, because everything is so strong and useful.

Don't even get me started on the graphics, because those are just amazing for the size and scale of the city.

Peds act real. Their activities are so varied. In other GTA games, they were either walking or driving. Now you see people leaning on poles, sitting on walls and stairs, talking on phones, smoking, fixing things, etc. Climbing onto a high roof, and then jumping onto a billboard, only to find a person patching up the sign is just awesome. Pushing them off of the edge and watching Euphoria take over is even better.

Which leads me to the physics. Endless fun can be had thanks to Euphoria. Gently nudging a cop into speeding cars is great. Pushing people down stairs, running them over (With a nice metal thump), and pinning them against walls is my favorite pastime.

And what people seem to be forgetting is how much Rockstar ADDED in place of those unrealistic features that were in GTA SA.

Appreciate the game for what it is, not what another game was.

As for my favorite list:

1. GTA IV

2. GTA SA

3. GTA III

4. GTA VC

5. GTA II

@Philip043, Not Uncharted, though...more detail and some better animation and gun play to be sure. I much prefer the gunplay mech of that game, but there are things to like about both!! monocle.gif

Iv'e played and beaten(hardest settings)Bioshock, HL2, Drake's Revenge, COD4, the R6 series, GRAW1 &2..ect

Those are great games, don't get me wrong.

But there are only a few games i consider next generation so far, Oblivion and to a lesser extent Dead Rising(because of numerios parrallel things going on at once), and of course GTA:IV.

Oblivion and GTA:IV are the two games this generation, for me, that have really defined it.

I'm just not a huge fan of fantasy games, so Oblivion never appealed to me, but i knew when playing it, it was defining this generation.

And i'm a huge FPS fanatic, but that genre is just getting too stale, even the great Bioshock and HL2 included.

1. VC - Killer soundtrack BTW

2. SA - Very long and felt wholesome.

3. III - Perfect for the leap from 2D to 3D GTA

4. IV - Multiplayer is the replay value

5. LCS - Was good for a PSP GTA, I actually feel that there was more put into thisfor the PSP, than IV for PS3/ 360.

6. VCS - Never played it.

Edited by J-sic
user posted image

I still don't know why everyone loves VC so much <_<

It's cool and all, and it had some damn fine music (The 80's rocked) but it's really nothing special. It's a blatant rip of Scarface, and Rockstar aren't trying to hide that fact.  tounge.gif 

So that basically takes away the whole "great story" aspect, since it's barely their own. Just different characters in the same situations.

Are you kidding?

Of course Scarface had a heavy inspiration on Vice City, but alot of the story was original. It's only the last mission that replicates Scarface.

Besides all the GTAs at that time were based on movies, in some way or another.

Iv'e played and beaten(hardest settings)Bioshock, HL2, Drake's Revenge, COD4, the R6 series, GRAW1 &2..ect

Those are great games, don't get me wrong.

But there are only a few games i consider next generation so far, Oblivion and to a lesser extent Dead Rising(because of numerios parrallel things going on at once), and of course GTA:IV.

Oblivion and GTA:IV are the two games this generation, for me, that have really defined it.

I'm just not a huge fan of fantasy games, so Oblivion never appealed to me, but i knew when playing it, it was defining this generation.

And i'm a huge FPS fanatic, but that genre is just getting too stale, even the great Bioshock and HL2 included.

By animations I refer to the main character of Drake. There is no Drake's Revenge, that may be Uncharted 2 you're thinking of...from the extent of my knowledge!

Uncharted Drake's Fortune looked good on paper and played well instantly, out of the box...no real learning curve like GTA 4 seems to have. Both games I tend to play in similar fashion and I like that a lot.

macorules94

List of my top 10 games

1. San Andreas

2. COD4

3. The Godfather the Don's Edition

4. Vice City

5. IV

6. Warhawk

7. GTA3

8. VCS

9. LCS

10. NFS PS