Why GTA 4 is NOT dissapointing...

uzi 9mm

I cannot believe peope think they have the right to give an honest opinion on the game when they have sped straight through it!!!

I got the game at 12:00am on the 29th and I think the percentage done is about 12%, so I haven't ven unlocked 1 island yet, still, I can give my opnion on what has been done so far. And it is a good game if you're not in a rush, or even if you are a person who plays the game non-stop till it's done, then this game is still fun. I only do a few mission every now and again, but mostly hang out with the contacts and free roam to get some enjoyment apart from sticking to the storyline always.

I tell you, most of the people complaining here about the game are just people who completed the game too quick and just want more than what they got.

In theory, the game is like a BIG bag of sweets, the people moaning about it are like the fat kids who ate it too quick and want more, you're like a bunch of pigs. icon13.gif

It's so bad that you're even comparing it to the past GTA game's, I'm thinking f*ck me, open your eyes. I don't even think I will play a PS2 GTA game any time soon. If not ever.

It does make perfect sense though, I can imagine all those speedy gamers that are free 24/7 may want a bit more extra, after all, they have nothing better to do with their lives except play games, when you hit 40 you're memores will consist of graphic images in computer games instead.

So now they've finally got their hands on the most hyped up game ever, it's no suprise they would be dissapointed as obviously it won't last forever, so you start nitpicking at silly little features like customising your hair, clothes, cars and sh*t like that, if you really wanted that sh*t so badly then you cannot be a true fan as GTA is NOT about dressing up your character and doing their hair like a f*cking Barbie doll, it's about driving aound causing havoc, and killing people, whilst enjoying story mode as you go along, and those features are the main thing that have improved and what make the game what it it.

1) The story mode in GTA 4 easily beats any other so far the way it's presented, the speech, the scenes, ok?

2) The physics are one of the top things people complained about for PS2 GTA's, we all wanted ragdoll, now they have put in euphoria which gives an all round realistic effect to cars and people.

3) The detail in the city is very visible, streets aren't always empty like past games, and all locations have a living feel to it instead of SA's cardboard city.

4) The AI of the chracters and peds has vastly improved.

To me all those are the main things that make the game, R* have improved in all those factors greatly, so the game is definately complete.

If you agree with most of what I said call yourself a true fan.

If you disagree and think customising hair, clothes, cars, and putting on weight is enough to make you dislkie the game, the you're definately NOT a true fan if the actuall game and what it consists of.

I can have some respect for game reviewers, becasue they get payed to speed through games and still comment on it HONESTLY, they obviously had to feel slight dissapointment from most of the left out features, but they have to eliminate the factor that playing games is their life, and have to put them selves in the boots of an average gamer, and not harcore 24/7 players.

Edit: did I forget to mention multiplayer? I guess I did.

Edited by uzi 9mm

Jonny2410

I agree with you on some points

The city does feel great and alive

The graphics are great

The physics are great

But think about it

We know features have been taken out of IV - thats not going to change.

Ok so you unlock other islands - big deal - bit more to see.

It is what you do in those islands.

Its what you do for fun and things have been severely limited.

Apart from missions you can blow a few cars up a kill people with limited range of weapons but thats about it.

Even to spice it up a bit more you can use cheats but even they are limited - no where near the ammount as in previous games.

While in SA fun would be classed as flying in a plane or going on a rampage in a tank, in IV fun is about as much as taking a train to the next stop.

Edited by Jonny2410

kvbrock82

i was playing today and i honked the horn at a taxi driver in front of me to get out of the way and he flipped me the finger in the mirror.... that was f*ckin cool.

lots of cool sh*t has been added, but a lot has been removed.

The cover system is brilliant imo, though more customization would have been ace.

SantiagoDomingo

If we agree with what you say we can call ourselves true fans? Suck my dick.

In this day and age every video game, I don't care if it is Army Men or Mario Kart, should have as many customizable options as possible. The more things you can do different the more fun you will have. You can connect deeper to the game if the character you are playing looks the way you want him to look, rather than wearing some stupid sweater vest. Including the option to pick attachments for your weapons, being able to select your own wardrobe, decide the color of your skin tone, pick your own hair style, etc . . . these things allow people to further immerse themselves into the game. I like being able to create the character I play as, I like my character more. It detracts nothing from the game, yet it still opens the game up to a much wider audience. If you don't want to change your hair style then don't but that doesn't mean those that do shouldn't be able to.

I work fifty (50) hours a week, I don't own my own XBOX 360 or my own copy of GTA IV. My friend and I will play the game when we have time and have almost finished the story. I still say that GTA IV is a disappointment. It is a great game, but it isn't what was promised. We have all these cool features, like open trunk, open trash compactor, wear a ski mask, rob a bank, etc . . . that are only available during specific missions. Why not make these always available?

You think this city is more alive than San Andreas? Maybe because there are more cars and pedestrians running around, but the buildings are useless. We have three clothes shops, a couple burger shots, a couple cluckin bells, a pool hall, a bowling alley, a bar to play darts, cabaret club, and comedy clubs. Most of which we just enter and watch a cut scene, I want to walk in while a comedian is on stage and just start shooting the place up. I want to walk into a bar and order a drink, and then another, and then another, and then another, until I am wasted. At least in San Andreas every island had numerous buildings that served a purpose. That you could walk around in and buy something.

They even went so far as to include a car wash with a 5 minute cut scene, why not just add a car modding shop instead?

Yea this is true aswell, I cannot truly talk about the goodness of unlocking other isands as I have yet to do so, but I judged it by the amount of fun I can have just by playing in the 1st section alone.

Flying planes was nice, as well as parachuting out of them, R* could have definately included the parachute's in one way or another, fair enough, and most of the ACTUAL bad points of the game do still count as bad things, like the targeting which can get anoying as in GTA on PS2 you will lock on to an enemy whether ther are behind you or not, but in IV it only aims in front of you and you have to actually spin around to target enemies, yes, it get's annoying but you just have to keep on top of things and get out of the running wild concept like in previous games, as in real life, like in IV, this sort of method will result in death.

Plus, I never got THAT much fun out of planes and tank's to be fair, the true bits that enticed me were playig through the story modes, free roam, and the variety of the surroundings, and I know the every borough in GTA 4 has a different feel to it.

I would actually rate GTA 4 9/10, as it obviously is not perfect, but there has to be room left for the oncoming GTA games.

@SantiagoDomingo, I'm not saying customisation doesn't make the game worser, it's just one of the main things people seem to maon about when it's hardly the fruit of the game, fair enough it's nice to change clothes, do your hair, blah blah, I did it in SA ONLY when I had to, as for changing hair styles I did it only a few times, these things to me, do not improve the way you play the game, honestly.

Buildings are useless, but to my knowledge, always have been, so it ain't really fair to hold that against the game, at least they look better from the outside, and no matter how many interiors are in the game, there's not much to do except look at the inside or buy something.

Edited by uzi 9mm

hhhercules

The graphics are great

The physics are great

But think about it

Apart from missions you can blow a few cars up a kill people with limited range of weapons but thats about it.

Even to spice it up a bit more you can use cheats but even they are limited - no where near the ammount as in previous games.

While in SA fun would be classed as flying in a plane or going on a rampage in a tank, in IV fun is about as much as taking a train to the next stop.

EXACTLY. its not whats in gta 4 that sucks. its what its missing. and its missing way too much. after playing it a while n u dont wanna kill people for a bit, u think about doing what u did in previous gtas, but theres so much missing. then u look for new game features, and theres so few that it gets boring fast. then onlind character creation has so few options, plus cheesy auto aim... any idiot can kill every1.

Jonny2410

I don't know if we were promised in previews etc that we could go in many buildings but everyone expected to enter atleast 40/50 percent of buildings. Instead we can go in about 5% - i don't really care much about that but thats where dissapointment has come from in building terms.

RotaryDan

Something that i have yet to read about is the lack of silenced weapons and instant knife kills (my favorite)

picture this, Your playin MP but the radar doesnt show enemies (unless they are shooting a un-silenced gun) suddenly you turn around only to see ur teammates neck get sliced open... i was really hoping for some implication of stealth tatics for MP =/ oh well.

bennisboy
I don't know if we were promised in previews etc that we could go in many buildings but everyone expected to enter atleast 40/50 percent of buildings. Instead we can go in about 5% - i don't really care much about that but thats where dissapointment has come from in building terms.

There are actually a lot of enterable buildings, but I am disappointed there aren't more shops to enter/rob. The only one I found is a laundrette!

Also I agree customization would have been nice and fun, but I'm not annoyed that it isnt in there. Its still a great game without it, I dont think the whole car customization thing would fit in, but it would be nice to have more stuff to spend your money on

I totally agree with the OP. Rushing thru IV makes absolutely no sense, you don't get the right impressions...

The sh'tload of things that "spiced up" SA was overwhelming, in negative terms. I found it disappointing to go buy food all the time to keep up the health... what for?

The property thing from VC Stories felt annoying after a time - especially when trying to get to a mission blip and shortly before arriving there the HUD indicated eg. one of my stripclubs was being attacked. There was a time when I was under constant fire, not being able to go on with the missions...

After all, in IV it's HD graphics with so much depth and detail to them it can hardly be beaten. Come on, go for a joyride and savour the environment! Play it in large format, cinematic style - with surround sound and stuff. Get the feeling right and stop pondering about this and that being cut or left out. Otherwise, go back to your PS2 and enjoy the emptiness of Verdant Meadows with your rifle tattoo and cornrows from Old Reece's.

Interestingly, I've never seen someone complaining about MP then... take into account it hasn't been on the scene before and everybody loves it now!

Jonny2410
I totally agree with the OP. Rushing thru IV makes absolutely no sense, you don't get the right impressions...

The sh'tload of things that "spiced up" SA was overwhelming, in negative terms. I found it disappointing to go buy food all the time to keep up the health... what for?

The property thing from VC Stories felt annoying after a time - especially when trying to get to a mission blip and shortly before arriving there the HUD indicated eg. one of my stripclubs was being attacked. There was a time when I was under constant fire, not being able to go on with the missions...

After all, in IV it's HD graphics with so much depth and detail to them it can hardly be beaten. Come on, go for a joyride and savour the environment! Play it in large format, cinematic style - with surround sound and stuff. Get the feeling right and stop pondering about this and that being cut or left out. Otherwise, go back to your PS2 and enjoy the emptiness of Verdant Meadows with your rifle tattoo and cornrows from Old Reece's.

Interestingly, I've never seen someone complaining about MP then... take into account it hasn't been on the scene before and everybody loves it now!

Multiplayer is one good feature Rockstar added.

Yea a good point was made, it's not the things in GTA4 that makeit bad it's the stuff missing.

But the physics, graphics, sound, alone are enough to make the game enjoyable, truthfully, those are things that previous GTA's lacked! Those were the fruits of game, and that has all been improved! Things like customisation, swimming beneath the surface, parachuting and putting on weight are just side additions (which weren't even on GTA 3 or VC but still didn't make the game's any less worthy of playing), I can't call the gamebad because of that!

But, GTA SA in GTA 4 style would have been a worthy competitor, would GTA SA with IV style graphics, physics (and so on) be good? I think it would. Even though the cities would be really small there would be more variety in the surroundings and it would look good.

Jonny2410
Yea a good point was made, it's not the things in GTA4 that makeit bad it's the stuff missing.

But the physics, graphics, sound, alone are enough to make the game enjoyable, truthfully, those are things that previous GTA's lacked! Those were the fruits of game, and that has all been improved! Things like customisation, swimming beneath the surface, parachuting and putting on weight are just side additions (which weren't even on GTA 3 or VC but still didn't make the game's any less worthy of playing), I can't call the gamebad because of that!

But, GTA SA in GTA 4 style would have been a worthy competitor, would GTA SA with IV style graphics, physics (and so on) be good? I think it would. Even though the cities would be really small there would be more variety in the surroundings and it would look good.

To be honest graphics have never been important to GTA - it is a nice addition though

The sound is great apart from the Radio stations which i have to say are the most dissapointing yet - apart from the talk shows which are hilarious.

Would SA with IV engine/physics and graphics be good - hell yeah!

To be honest graphics have never been important to GTA - it is a nice addition though

The sound is great apart from the Radio stations which i have to say are the most dissapointing yet - apart from the talk shows which are hilarious.

Yea, I suppose the radio stations is just a personal prefference, because I think they are wicked! Graphics for some do not matter as much, but I am really feeling the new graphics, seeing all the buildings light up at night plus the height of them all looks stunning.

I can get enough jokes by running into people and just shoving them, as it looks so realistic and people always drop in different ways, its so ammusing, certainly this definately won't last, but it beats GTA's PS2 physics, which kept us going throughout the entire trilogy so who knows.

i agree completly with the OP,

but the 'if you agree with me you're a true fan' makes you sound like a douche

99.98% of teenagers surround their minds with cod4, if your a part of the 00.02% that doesn't own the game, put this in your sig.

Jonny2410

Yea, I suppose the radio stations is just a personal prefference, because I think they are wicked! Graphics for some do not matter as much, but I am really feeling the new graphics, seeing all the buildings light up at night plus the height of them all looks stunning.

I can get enough jokes by running into people and just shoving them, as it looks so realistic and people always drop in different ways, its so ammusing, certainly this definately won't last, but it beats GTA's PS2 physics, which kept us going throughout the entire trilogy so who knows.

Yeah i must agree the graphics and physics have impressed me

Bugsy Segal

The graphics are great

The physics are great

But think about it

You can always go on an annihilator rampage- fan blades for everyone!

mupet0000

Play the game a little longer, as you progress it gets boring. I really liked it for a couple of days.

kid Viravax

There are no two parts of 4 that are the same... where SA every little mini villiage or area was just a copy/paste of somewhere else.. there was no creativity in the scenery and if you just take 5 minutes out and put it in.. then i think you'll understand the big leap forward IV is.

San Andreas is completley different to IV, as it is to VC and GTA3

Theres lots of things being taken away.. surprising to see people not complaining about the gang control mission, probably the biggest and most gameplay affecting addition to SA. Business in VCS have been taken away, plus as everyone mentioned all the customisable things..

what people can't forget is GTA is about telling us a story, rags to riches, rags to better rags... if every story was poor to millionaire it'd be a bit damn boring, no?

People have said there is nothing to spend money on but i can't think of much in the past there actually was to spend money on.. a $6000 video clip of phil collins? a $5000 bullet-proof limo or ATV? Bah.

If you want to customise things go by a Wii and fiddle with your little character or play NFS2. This is just like dispelling COD4 'cos you can't customise what your soldier is wearing.

Sometimes I feel a little disappointed about the missing options, especially the planes seeing as that is what I mod for SA on the PC, but in general I am pleased enough with the game. Plenty of little details to make me smile and the main character is good.

It is a true next gen GTAIII, its only the start of next gen GTAs.

But what a great start. smile.gif

I think it comes down to expectations being so high that it was always difficult to fullfill them.

Personally I don't see why people miss the customisation so much but I guess each their own, there are other titles that focus on this and will no doubt be pleased to see that GTA has left this gap open for them. Although I do hope they include some interesting stuff in the DLC - e.g. chutes.

For me the sheer scale and detail of the city is enough to keep me entertained and the joy of roaming and exploring, seeing new things and the wonderful lighting and weather effects ...I've not reached Algonquin yet but am so looking forward to it.

In previous GTAs the missions bored me senseless but here they really do immerse you ...I've just done the shoot out by the docks and boy that was an intense experience that I was happy to have several goes at.

Some of you guys simply sound overexcited by videogames. And therefore limited in receiving the vibes correctly. Am I wrong?

For my part, I'm not playing that extensively... I'm not into any other videogame, anymore, but GTA. And I'm not going to change that since I'm not really interested in much else. I've got many other things on my mind, by now. I just want to leap into that virtual world and push the story forward every now and then, get a little lost in time and space and then return to reality being relaxed and stuff.

I've been on VC Stories last year and in Sept we've visited Miami, FL for the first time. Hell, every five minutes I was like, 'boah, look over there! that's just like in VC!!'. By then, R* widely captured the essence of what Miami was back in the 80s and you can go and see what's left of that. I was swept off my feet! Guess what, this year we're going to NYC... and I'm looking as much fwd as you can imagine!

Some of you guys simply sound overexcited by videogames. And therefore limited in receiving the vibes correctly. Am I wrong?

For my part, I'm not playing that extensively... I'm not into any other videogame, anymore, but GTA. And I'm not going to change that since I'm not really interested in much else. I've got many other things on my mind, by now. I just want to leap into that virtual world and push the story forward every now and then, get a little lost in time and space and then return to reality being relaxed and stuff.

I've been on VC Stories last year and in Sept we've visited Miami, FL for the first time. Hell, every five minutes I was like, 'boah, look over there! that's just like in VC!!'. By then, R* widely captured the essence of what Miami was back in the 80s and you can go and see what's left of that. I was swept off my feet! Guess what, this year we're going to NYC... and I'm looking as much fwd as you can imagine!

Yea this is a good explantion.

You can't extensively play games and expect to get the full vibe out of it, I don't know about other people but after 2 hours of playing max the fun starts wearing off and I gotta take my mind of it instead of carrying on, but some people stay glued to the screen nearly till they've completed the game.

I enjoy the casual experience of it, every now and again going back to it untill it is finished, then all there is left to do is f*ck about the world doing stuff, and since this GTA is alot better when it comes not just down to the visuals, but the actual physics when people are hit, or car movement, I don't understand how all these complaints about no customisation and other minor things can drastically change the way this game is.

Especially seeing how most of the complaints towards past GTA's where mainly how people move like stick men, the targeting is crap, and the graphics look like a toy world. All this stuff has been dealt with, and there's even multiplayer, sure enough the controls tke abit of getting used to, and the targeting can be hard to handle at points, but a game is a game and nothig more, and too many people want more.

Didn't tons of member before say how they enjoy driving around just taking up the scenery, or walking up to peds to see what there lines of dialogue are and what they say, now it's a much more vibrant place with lots more going on people don't seem to be making any coments like this.

If we agree with what you say we can call ourselves true fans?  Suck my dick. 

In this day and age every video game, I don't care if it is Army Men or Mario Kart, should have as many customizable options as possible.  The more things you can do different the more fun you will have.  You can connect deeper to the game if the character you are playing looks the way you want him to look, rather than wearing some stupid sweater vest.  Including the option to pick attachments for your weapons, being able to select your own wardrobe, decide the color of your skin tone, pick your own hair style, etc . . . these things allow people to further immerse themselves into the game.  I like being able to create the character I play as, I like my character more.  It detracts nothing from the game, yet it still opens the game up to a much wider audience.  If you don't want to change your hair style then don't but that doesn't mean those that do shouldn't be able to.

I work fifty (50) hours a week, I don't own my own XBOX 360 or my own copy of GTA IV.  My friend and I will play the game when we have time and have almost finished the story.  I still say that GTA IV is a disappointment.  It is a great game, but it isn't what was promised.  We have all these cool features, like open trunk, open trash compactor, wear a ski mask, rob a bank, etc . . .  that are only available during specific missions.  Why not make these always available? 

You think this city is more alive than San Andreas?  Maybe because there are more cars and pedestrians running around, but the buildings are useless.  We have three clothes shops, a couple burger shots, a couple cluckin bells, a pool hall, a bowling alley, a bar to play darts, cabaret club, and comedy clubs.  Most of which we just enter and watch a cut scene, I want to walk in while a comedian is on stage and just start shooting the place up.  I want to walk into a bar and order a drink, and then another, and then another, and then another, until I am wasted.  At least in San Andreas every island had numerous buildings that served a purpose.  That you could walk around in and buy something. 

They even went so far as to include a car wash with a 5 minute cut scene, why not just add a car modding shop instead?

I agree 100%. I understand Rockstars thinking, but adding more options increases the replay value.

If u don't LIKE changing outfits, hair etc, then don't. I probably wouldn't bother with that stuff much until after completing the game, but every person has a different way of enjoying the game. Why remove something?

Also, it would be cool if there was a 2-player mode on the same console - optionally allowing these 2 players to play online also.

Finally, the only thing that REALLY annoys me about the PS3 (which I have) is this: I purchased the console over the XBOX for several reasons. One of these reasons was that it comes with a Blue-Ray. WHY did rockstar not take advantage of the extra storage that a blueray can offer?!?!?! They could have made the game look soo much more realistic. They could have used actual high-res photos in place of of some of the textures they've used, included all the little customization crap that they took away, included airplanes AND STILL have extra rooom left over...

I LOVE this game, but still think I was ripped off if that makes sense to any of you...

Edited by namyzarc

elpartizan88

why GTA4 is the greatest game ever? because it succeeds in every category with flying colors!

great gameplay, realistic environment, amazing story, awesome physics, nice graphics, phenominal multiplayer, good amount of customization, breathing and interactable city, HUGE city, interesting protagonist, assortment of weapons, etc.. i can go on all day..

sure there are some glitches and freezing here and there but Take2 is planning to release a patch in the near future icon14.gif

reptilexcq

Why would you want to parachute when you can jump straight down into the water....that's 10X more fun than slowly descending.

Anyway, i agreed that to enjoy this game, you got to take your time and experience the game rather than rushing through it. Like when i am doing a mission i may take cab ride and enjoy the ride rather than rushing to the destination. Like when i date Michelle, we're taking cab and it was night time and raining...the view outside from the cab seeing rain and glossy street is amazing. Just looking around the city in different views....that experience is still embedded in my memory.

a_flyin_penguin

If they added the option to "immerse" you further by letting you make a character that may look like yourself (if you looked at it upside down through a mirror while puking drunk with your contacts out and your eyes crossed at a 24.6 degree angle) then it would kill the immersive nature of the story. A great, emotional story can only be fabricated with a static character. You can change an aspect or two, but the balance between good story and customization is very delicate. You say we don't have to deal with that stuff if we think it is silly, but we do. The ones that are completely engrossed in the story would suffer a heavy loss due to customization's chokehold on the personality, appearance, and sex of the main character. Where specifics were once mentioned, there would be cheesy vagaries to the caliber of Saint's Row. I don't want to see that happen to my GTA. I love the direction it has gone and I hope it continues on this path!

i love everything about GTA IV, i seriously have no complaint with it, some people complain about god damn jet packs which i thought was like fun for 5 mins what the hell are you going to do with a jet pack in libery city? seriously... and the customization is fine how many clothes do you want? I love Nikos clothes he starts with but you hae to change for some missions. Pefect game love it to bits. Well thats just my opinion. rolleyes.gif

atheistsw

I think the game is great and i'm amazed at the level of detail in the city, everywhere looks different, every borough, every street has a different look and vibe, just as we were promised. I just unlocked Alderney so i'm 40% into the story mode having had the game since launch. I've played it loads, but I tend to do a few missions then go onto multiplayer for a few hours, once rockstar* sort their servers out and HOPEFULLY add a server list/lobby select then the online play will be the shiznit, will keep me coming back to Liberty City for quite some time.

I'm still on the first island, but my initial impressions after playing the game for 2 days is that I love almost everything about it, and I'm glad that they cut out a lot of the superfluous crap like getting a stupid tattoo shaped like Africa on your back...

My one gripe (I'll say it again) is that everyone praised this game for being so "alive"...the "living breathing city". Given that, I was hoping (expecting?) a lot more enterable buildings with stuff inside that you can interact with.

So far, that has not been the case. I've found a couple apartment buildings where you can go in...the apartment doors are all locked and you follow the stairs to the roof. Nothing there. I also found a laundromat, but you can't do anything inside but walk around.

Wow. The excitement is almost too much to bear. dozingoff.gif

Like I said, I love the game, but nothing pisses me off more than a "living breathing city" where 90% of the buildings are empty "placeholder" polygons with 2D storefronts painted on.