An honest review

RotaryDan

RotaryDan

Just so everyone knows, im by no means a avid gamer. Im not a crazy fanboy and the main reason im doing this is because I think that the media has done a poor job. Also its early in the morning and i cant sleep. Please note that its dark and im using a laptop that im not fimiliar with. ANYWAYS on we go....

Im sure that everyone is up to date with the premise of the story, but just incase your not, then look it up. Basically its a story about Niko (you) that arrives in Liberty City to see his "rich" cousin Roman and live the American dream. Sadly thats not how things turn out. I dont wanna give much away so i'll stop there.

Graphics

Pretty much everything in the game is just stunning. Most people expected that. The ragdoll effects will make you laugh time after time and the car damage is done almost to perfection. If the game was based on this alone it would be a 10/10. One of my personal favorites is running into a pole at full speed then flying out the front window lol. Like i said before i love the looks of this game and i have no complaints thus far.

Controls

Im going to split this section into 2 paragraphs; on foot and in car.

First, on foot... moving around is simple enough. you can walk, run, and sprint. In attempts to make the game more realistic it feels like the game has been slowed down both on foot and in cars. Sprinting doesnt really help that much either. Jumping is as it was before, for the most part its ok but sometimes a little clumsy. The targeting system is a another matter. As i said before im no avid gamer but i am a quick learner. The targeting system however is just completely useless. I think its one of those things when hand on experience is required but basically when you try to bring the aimer up, it zooms in a completely different direction then where you want it to go. This is mostly true when u have enemies coming from different directions. The addition of a cover system was also added. I personaly love the idea, but like the targeting system its just junk. Your better off crouching behind objects then to use the cover mode. My reason for this, In multiplayer the cover mode just slows you down and limits your aiming range too much to be useful. It takes time to enter the mode meanwhile your enemy peppers you with bullets. The cover mode doesnt even really offer you much protection when ur in it, shots can still be received to the head. Entering cars is much the same. Its slowww. Sometimes Niko stands beside the car while you press the enter button repeatedly wondering if hes going to do anything. Stealing another persons car on multiplayer is just impossible, unless of course hes afk. Another thing that i found just to be stupid more then anything else is while in a target lock-on with a melee weapon, try to run to the enemy... The result is the infamous "Bunny hop" which just looks retarded.

On to the cars! Like i said before it feels like things are slower then they should be. Alot of people complain about the handling. It sorta feels like your the driver in a 70's cop chase movie. Suspension is very bouncy even on the highend cars. Brakes on the other hand are very realistic, older cars dont have ABS and the brakes will lock up. Because of the things above, car chase arent as exhilirating as they could be. Drive-by's are simple enough if you happen to be a passenger. If your the driver then thats another story. Not only do you have to stear with the left analog but also aim with the right. Not to mention brake, gas, and shoot. I found myself juggling the two while playing MP either focusing on driving or shooting at one time. Crashing in the game is once again great. IMO i think that cars have a little too much HP, for at least MP mode anyways. It takes a long time to wear out a car in MP even with 4 guys armed with ak47's. I thought they should have maybe reduced cars durability to maybe half?

Single Player

I cant really go too much into detail here as i only played the first 10 or so missions. But everything seems to be pretty much the same. You can freeroam, go out on dates, get into police trouble and all that. Story is mostly about preference, some people will like it and others wont. Ive played nearly all the previous GTA so i knew what to expect. One nice touch is that sometimes you have the option of killing a mark or letting him live. which will open up different options later on (or so ive been told)

Multiplayer

Im not really much into single player games. So naturally i was thrilled to hear this. I played GTA:SA online but i was certain this would be different. I started by choosing to make a custom char model. WOW options here are VERY limited. Something like 4 heads, 6 shirts, 6 pants, a couple hats and a couple shades... thats about it. Most of which looked pretty similiar anyways. Sad to say but it was almost a waste of time for R* to even implement. But w/e a custom char model is nt really a big deal anyways. Joining a MP game is one of the worst MP experiences I ever had. Theres no way to select a server. You simply choose the game mode you wish to play and it will get you there. Whether or not there is other people in that game mode is not its problem. One time i had to try a total of 6 times before finding a game with other players. Everytime you try it takes time to load exiting and entering a new game mode. Its a very frustrating process and I still cant understand why R* chose to make things that way. For the record, I dont own a PS or 360 I played this while visiting my brother for the weekend. But I do on occasion play CoD4 on my PC and i think that their lobby system could be better. Playing in MP mode is pretty fun, if a server has 10-16 player you'll most likely get a couple of high ping players which will annoy you to no end. I didnt dig too far into the co-op modes but in one experience ppl seemed to be pretty good and things went rather smoothly. I have heard of complaints of noobs though more specificly in the freeroam mode. With all these issues i guess its better then nothing at all.

So in short:

The GOOD

- Great graphics

- Sounds are decent

- Rag doll and crash systems

- Multiplayer

The BAD

- Cover system

- Targeting

- Stealing cars (slow -.-)

- Other content from previous GTA titles is missing

The UGLY

- No PC version

- No MP lobby

Overall Score: 8/10

Well there you have it, I tried to be as fair as possible. While im not really dissappointed with the game i think that they could have done a better job. I tend to think that my expectations where to high (possibly cause every gaming site gives it a perfect score) I know that i'll have tons of fanboys pissed off at me but ive given my reasons, so you disagree then at least be polite enough to give a good reason.

On a side note, ive read alot of console bashing between 360 and PS3 users goin on. Ive heard alot of people mention the PS3 having connection issues. The 360 isnt perfect itself though. Ive been unable to connect several times as well as having disc reading issues, which appear to be a known problem... Just thought id mention that because all the immature bashing is getting old.

Nah, how can you count targeting and cover system as "bad"? They're really nice, also storyline is awesome, way better than in previous GTAs.

BingoPower

Not an overly bad review, but I think alot of your points are personal opinion rather than widely-regarded-as-fact. (Though I appreciate and respect that your review is personal opinion too wink.gif ).

For example, I find the cars handle beautifully and the targetting system is 100 times more better than it's predecessors.

Also, I'd wait until I'd experienced the whole game before I reviewed it, rather than after the first 10 missions (so you can't even review the other islands! )

Other than that, it was quite well written. Nice to see some refreshing stuff here smile.gif

Yah, car handling is awesome, what could you possibly want if that's bad? And "Long carjacking" is fine, and is something people wanted, instead of heaps of opened up cars parked on the street. Also the animation of it is sweet.

doa kappatango

- Stealing cars (slow -.-)

Stealing Cars IRL is slow. IMO, its not slow enough in this game to be any sort of problem, certainly not a downside.

- Other content from previous GTA titles is missing

R* Wont have put all their eggs in one basket. DLC, GTA V all progressions.

- No MP lobby

Not sure about Ranked games, But I host Player rooms every night and there IS a MP lobby. when the round ends, the Host chooses the next game mode and then th lobby is created, with all the previous players there. There is the option to "ready up", customise your player appearance and set the game rules.

Your review is off the mark. The game is not perfect 10, but it is way more deserving that an 8.

Jonny2410

To be honest 8/10 is very fair

Its not worse that 8 - it has some really good points - graphics, physics and storyline

But it does lack a lot of features to bring it anywhere near the level of the other 3 gta's

Has been a little bit dissapointing but i still keep going back to it.

Ziggy Jinx

Its not worse that 8 - it has some really good points - graphics, physics and storyline

But it does lack a lot of features to bring it anywhere near the level of the other 3 gta's

For how long will you be going back to run peeps down huh coz thats about all there will be left to do after the story.

Jonny2410

For how long will you be going back to run peeps down huh coz thats about all there will be left to do after the story.

I know - i am not defending it - i think it is very average and boring in terms of gameplay compared to in particular SA and VC.

However i just seem to be drawn to it at the moment - just because i have not completed everything - i know i will get bored of it much quicker than normal gta's eventually.

doa kappatango

WRONG: There is a whole world of Mulitplayer which I am involved in alongside the storyline.

That serves two purposes:

1: Makes the main story last longer, as I have another distraction

2: Gives un-ending value and fun after my single player story is done.

I have never seen Cops N Crooks go the same way twice - always a different play-out.

RotaryDan

Wasnt really expecting so many comments so fast. lol makes me wonder if you guys just skimmed to the bottom lol

anyways i'll try to clear up a few things.

NO there isnt a true lobby where you can select a server to join. It randomly selects a server (full or empty) which is most of the time a gamble. Most of my playtime with GTAIV has been MP. Ranked and Un-Ranked are the same thing. What your refering to is a simple pregame ready room which is useless if the game places you in a empty server...

I never said the cars handled badly but they are very bouncy. If they were trying to make it realistic they should play games like gran turismo or forza (since they seem to use real car styes anyway) and done it that way. Personally do just fine driving at full speed around town in MP mode while my team turns ppl into swiss cheese.

The cover system IMO isnt that great. Im not really use to aiming with a controller (pc gamer here) but i played gears of war and was much more impressed with the cover system. Targeting well its not that bad when it works. but once awhile my aimer goes into some random place when im surrounded by enemies. This has happened to me and my brother both multiple times. Thats the only reason i said that.

Edit: Its not really the slowness of the car jacking that bugs me. Its the times it takes to actually start the process of carjacking. For example, I was playing a melee TDM. 1 enemy was in a car so i blocked him in and 2 teammates tried to jack him. It couldnt be done. The game just doesnt respond fast enough. SA wasnt unrealisticly fast either but if i tried to carjack someone and they got away, i would at least have had time to open the door and almost get to him. IMO thats more realistic then standing beside the door mashing away at the Y button (xbox) and not even touching a car door.

Edited by RotaryDan

JackylByte
Wasnt really expecting so many comments so fast. lol makes me wonder if you guys just skimmed to the bottom lol

anyways i'll try to clear up a few things.

NO there isnt a true lobby where you can select a server to join. It randomly selects a server (full or empty) which is most of the time a gamble. Most of my playtime with GTAIV has been MP. Ranked and Un-Ranked are the same thing. What your refering to is a simple pregame ready room which is useless if the game places you in a empty server...

I never said the cars handled badly but they are very bouncy. If they were trying to make it realistic they should play games like gran turismo or forza (since they seem to use real car styes anyway) and done it that way. Personally do just fine driving at full speed around town in MP mode while my team turns ppl into swiss cheese.

The cover system IMO isnt that great. Im not really use to aiming with a controller (pc gamer here) but i played gears of war and was much more impressed with the cover system. Targeting well its not that bad when it works. but once awhile my aimer goes into some random place when im surrounded by enemies. This has happened to me and my brother both multiple times. Thats the only reason i said that.

Edit: Its not really the slowness of the car jacking that bugs me. Its the times it takes to actually start the process of carjacking. For example, I was playing a melee TDM. 1 enemy was in a car so i blocked him in and 2 teammates tried to jack him. It couldnt be done. The game just doesnt respond fast enough. SA wasnt unrealisticly fast either but if i tried to carjack someone and they got away, i would at least have had time to open the door and almost get to him. IMO thats more realistic then standing beside the door mashing away at the Y button (xbox) and not even touching a car door.

I think your review was honest, but as far as jacking a car not controlled by an NPC of course it is difficult probably not the game though how many times have any of us been removed from our car by an NPC. hardly ever real people are smarter work faster plan better have fun.

MasterGoutetsu

The storyline is the strongest aspect in the game imo. It really grips you into playing it more and once you finish the story their are other things like the most wanted side missions in the cop car, assasin missions, finding new crimes on the police computer and even trying to find a serial killer. So their are stuff to do afterwards, it just doesnt have as much replay value as the previous games.

RotaryDan

I think your review was honest, but as far as jacking a car not controlled by an NPC of course it is difficult probably not the game though how many times have any of us been removed from our car by an NPC. hardly ever real people are smarter work faster plan better have fun.

Im not sure you understood. I blocked the enemy with my car while to other players tried to remove him from it. The issue is that the game doesnt respond fast enough. He barely had room to move, but it was enough to confuse the game. Im not talking about NPC trying to jack the car, this was MP mode and 2 players couldnt remove 1 person from a car that was barely moving. Another good example is using ladders in this game. You have to be almost perfectly square with the ladder or it just wont reconize what your trying to do. That was never a problem in the other GTA games i played.