Is GTA IV considered an RPG?

RATEDR307

RATEDR307

Please back up your reason.

Edited by RATEDR307

Thatdude407

yea its an rpg, are you not playing a Role... that role being niko. there i backed it up Gta 4 is a role playing game

I dont think it is. I think of RPGs of having stats to level up and stuff.

Please back it up your reason.

No, Im not going to bother backing it up with an essay long reason either.

GTA IV is a great game, but it is NOT an RPG. Fact.

motorforum

SA was definitely an RPG. IV lacks the further features of SA, but has better physics, so sticks closer to the action game genre.

No. A role playing game is a different genre from 3rd person shooter. It carries RPG elements (many moreso in SA), but it isn't...

In fact, as of San Andreas GTA is "Every game out, GTA does it and more". IV is like III, so not yet. But IVSA will be "every game genre, plus more"

LUCK FOR A BUCK!!!!! f*ck Yea!

GTAF's Most Annoying Unbanned Member.

user posted image

bai. -jllr

I dont think it is. I think of RPGs of having stats to level up and stuff.

Oh you want manna and WIIIIZZZAAARRRRDDD's lol. I blieve Rockstar said they thought of having manna, but realized that it doesn't fit in the game. Role playing games are blurred anyways, is this a shooter, well not fps, but it seems to be a combination of different genres.

Oh GTA IV SA huh? You spoke with rockstar about a game that might or might not come out, also being years away if true. Please stop putting up false speculation or hearsay.

Nah, this isn't an RPG by any stretch. Yes, you're playing as Niko Bellic, but that doesn't make GTA4 an RPG.

A role-playing game typically involves improvement of persistent statistics, interactive storytelling, collaboration among players, detailed decision mechanics, and a non-linear narrative. GTA4 is a great game (and SA did have some RPG-lite elements in the form of your physical attributes, weapon / skill stats, etc) but it's not an RPG at all.

TheSharkIsALie

If you mean literally, then yes; you play the role of niko. But if you want to be a smartass about it, all games are RPG's. Genre wise, GTAIV is actually an action/adventure game.

Mr_Prickles
Please stop putting up false speculation

Wouldn't the definition of speculation exclude it from having to be "true"? Speculation is basically your own opinion. You can't tell him that his opinion is wrong. However, he didn't speculate, so although what you said was "wrong", it wasn't "incorrect". tounge.gif

GTAIV is not a role playing game.

The life of Nico Bellic is almost all scripted out and there are very, very few chances to actually make choices to change Nico's path. You have the choice to kill certain people, but that is essentially all you can do. RPG's are becoming very combat based and that is why the lines are becoming quite fuzzy (go check out an Oblivion forum and read the topics on why Oblivion is a FPS not a RPG, or vise versa). But this fuzz doesn't extend to GTAIV, its definitely an adventure/action game.

Some things GTAIV lacks that makes it not a role playing game:

1) No beginning choices to actually design your character around - every person who plays the game plays the exact same Nico Bellic.

2) No leveling of skills/talents

**3) No significant decisions to make that alter the course of the game <-- Big Reason

4) GTAIV has a linear storyline (sort of like #3, but a little different)

the GTA series have had some features that have been RPG-like, but no game has been an RPG. I personally would LOVE to see an RPG GTA, but maybe that wouldn't be in the best interest of the series, I don't know. RPGs are my favorite genre, but GTA is my favorite series. Elder Scrolls is my second favorite...

The biggest things that make an RPG an RPG is the decisions that alter the game. You can become a nice guy, or an evil guy. You can climb the ranks of different organizations and become the boss/leader, or you can simply live life as a commoner. You can join the side to fight crime, or be the crime leader. GTA has never let you choose whether you want to break the law or not - you have to, and you have to break it often. I could write pages on this topic, it interests me greatly, but i will stop here.

PS - A role playing game is not a game that has the player play a 'role.' is COD4 an RPG because you play as SOAP or that other guy? Is DOOM an RPG because you play Dwayne Johnson who likes killing creatures from hell? Is pacman an RPG because you play a round, yellow glutton? Whoever said that is what makes an RPG is a ill-informed.

StanMarsh
Untrue, really.

**3) No significant decisions to make that alter the course of the game <-- Big Reason

In all honesty, untrue. I won't spoilt it, but you do have a decision to make near the end that sends the game onto two paths that have different endings.

Please stop putting up false speculation

Wouldn't the definition of speculation exclude it from having to be "true"? Speculation is basically your own opinion. You can't tell him that his opinion is wrong. However, he didn't speculate, so although what you said was "wrong", it wasn't "incorrect". tounge.gif

No, in a court of law, speculation is basically false information, and not taken into account by the jury. Basically it is someone's opinion or what they believe might happen or be true, but when that opinion is not derived from factual information, it is false. He also put up direct quotes saying "But IVSA will be "every game genre, plus more"", one he has said IV SA is a reality, and then posted some fake quote trying to back it up. Hey, but thanks for going on Dictionary.com and trying to be a smartass, you smartass lol.

Untrue, really.

In all honesty, untrue. I won't spoilt it, but you do have a decision to make near the end that sends the game onto two paths that have different endings.

I'll give that to you, i haven't finished the game or am anywhere close to it, but an RPG isn't made of a few choices, EVERYTHING YOU DO AFFECTS THE OUTCOME in a way. I have heard two endings, read about killing either this main character or the next, and these are in a way somewhat like an RPG. But there needs to be decisions like this constantly throughout the game, or this is just something to give the game a little extra pazaz.

If I replay the game, am i going to have to play the same missions I did the first time around? The answer is yes, and that means this game is not an RPG, its something else.

RONIN1191
SA was definitely an RPG. IV lacks the further features of SA, but has better physics, so sticks closer to the action game genre.

SA was a simplified RPG though; RPG's in general are not all that fun to play IMHO. Fable being the odd one that was.

SA was a simplified RPG though; RPG's in general are not all that fun to play IMHO. Fable being the odd one that was.

That is true, can't wait to see what Fable 2 looks like.

TheSharkIsALie
Untrue, really.

I'll give that to you, i haven't finished the game or am anywhere close to it, but an RPG isn't made of a few choices, EVERYTHING YOU DO AFFECTS THE OUTCOME in a way. I have heard two endings, read about killing either this main character or the next, and these are in a way somewhat like an RPG. But there needs to be decisions like this constantly throughout the game, or this is just something to give the game a little extra pazaz.

If I replay the game, am i going to have to play the same missions I did the first time around? The answer is yes, and that means this game is not an RPG, its something else.

That makes no sense. I play the same "missions" over and over in Final Fantasy games, does that make it not an RPG? Because i know a few thousand people who would disagree.

StanMarsh
Untrue, really.

That makes no sense. I play the same "missions" over and over in Final Fantasy games, does that make it not an RPG? Because i know a few MILLION people who would disagree.

Edited.tounge2.gif

You are comparing free form RPGs(Oblivion) to linear RPGs(Final fantasy).

GTAIV is not an RPG IMHO, but it has elements of them.

Untrue, really.

That makes no sense. I play the same "missions" over and over in Final Fantasy games, does that make it not an RPG? Because i know a few thousand people who would disagree.

Heh, i just found a topic on the shark myth, funny name... anyways---

I don't play final fantasy, but are you the same character every start at FF? Do you travel down the same path every time you play the game? Can you make decisions that will alter how people react to you, talk with you, 'see' you as a person? These are the things that make an RPG an RPG. Yeah, in Oblivion I play lots of missions that are the same, but there are different ways to complete those missions due to the decisions I made earlier in the game. In Gothic 3, I can choose to side with the Orcs, the Mercenaries, play for other groups, or play on several sides.

Are you arguing with me to claim GTAIV is an RPG, or arguing with me on what makes an RPG an RPG? Let's not argue for the sake or arguing, it seems all people want to do is prove people wrong when we probably think more alike than what comes across the screen...

Yeah I don't know what Final fantasy is like. Linear RPG - I've never played one I don't think. Zelda? I dunno, I guess I like free form RPGs.

What kind of RPG is Fallout3 going to be? Looking forward to that game...

StanMarsh

Yeah I don't know what Final fantasy is like. Linear RPG - I've never played one I don't think. Zelda? I dunno, I guess I like free form RPGs.

What kind of RPG is Fallout3 going to be? Looking forward to that game...

Linear is where the story is inear as is the paths you go on, but you have control over your party, they level up, etc, etc.

I've never been good at them. The only RPs I'm good at are ones like Oblivion.tounge2.gif

It's an RPG/Action/Driving game, what makes it simply a Sanbox game, but it ain't a popular term.

GTA is never an RPG, but it has the "feeling" of one, with the open world letting you do what you want and when, and the getting "quests" from people and having "sidequests" to do.

Either nobody here has ever played GTA or there is no such thing as an RPG.

Fact:

YOU DO HAVE STATS TO LVL UP IDIOTS!!!

If this isn't an RPG then what is Final Fantasy? Megaman Legends? Kingdom Hearts? I'd like you guys to tell me.

RPG - a game in which participants adopt the roles of imaginary characters in an adventure under the direction of a Game Master

Does this not perfectly describe GTA? You play the role of a character, you are in an adventure, there is technically a Game Master. Its the one who decides the missions you go on. So now, tell me that GTA is not an RPG and I will quickly call you an ignorant bitch.

Also sandbox isn't a fuhking Genre dumbasses.

Edited by hakk3r

For those that make the assumption that because you take the role of a character that it is a RPG, I guess games like Resident Evil, the series of James Bond, Turok and whatever you call satisfies that these too are RPG.

RPG is often mixed up with other genres, but I prefer to stick to the basic elements that make a RPG itself.

1) Levelling system

2) Stat allocation system

3) Skill tree

As for 2 and 3, it can either be free choice or linear. I was about to put up party system but that is already brought down by the simple fact of Dragon Warrior I (if anybody remembers that game).

This game isn't an RPG at least with what I have defined here, this would be more of an Adventure type. You can say it's a shooter, but it's main focus is still on travelling around. Putting all the elements in place, priority goes to travelling, so yea...Adventure type.

Just my 2 cents.

Telimaktar

Cystric and others here have it right. GTA : SA was a little more RPG than any of the others but not a true RPG. I own about 10 RPG games. If you've played one you'll know the difference.

Stats and Leveling that increases you characters powers and skills. Decisions that affect both the story and your party for better or worse.

Every single game is partly an RPG but not a true RPG.