Black 'Buzzing' Blocks in GTAIV

Oldman_Rage

Oldman_Rage

I swear I'm the only person in the world with this issue. I did have the lock-up thing today but it was easily resolved simply turning off my network and letting the game do it's thing. I backed up my saves on a memory card but never needed to use them. The network shuttoff did the trick for me.

My issue is that from the first time I put the disk in I was seeing many many 1-2 inch (on my 56" tv so please scale this in your mind) black boxes flashing all over certain areas. They are creating a blocky 'buzzing' effect (not unlike dropped render buckets in 3D renders) that are quite distracting. It makes me think there might be some sort of render failure in the game. It seems the worse in areas where the engine is trying to do something with transparency in a scene. Areas such as fog in the sky, the sky at dusk, glass and light in windows, rain on the ground and sometimes for no understandable reason at all. It's getting really distracting. Nothing like this has happened before so I doubted it was the cables. With that in mind I still tried switching the HDMI cable but that didn't help, switched it to component and again... no difference. Played with the settngs on the TV as well as in my PS3 to no avail. It's not doing anything like this in any other game or bluray disk so I'm at a loss for what it could be besides the Game. Still it could be the TV. For the record it's a Samsung 56" LED DLP which was purchased a year ago. I've had no problems like this until this game. Tomorrow I'm going to try to rent a copy somewhere and see if I get the same issues. I'm enjoying the game but this is silly. I know if I call the TV guys they'll say it's the PS3 and if I call Sony they'll say it's Rockstar's problem. I haven't found anything... ANYTHING in any forums, posts, internet stories or from friends or coworkers where someone is having a similar issue. Any info would be appreciated. Thnx.

Edited by Oldman_Rage

mupet0000

Well thats always bad, usually means your graphics chip (RSX) is dying on the PS3. GTA really pushes it, you should send your PS3 in for repair.

Oldman_Rage

Well thats always bad, usually means your graphics chip (RSX) is dying on the PS3. GTA really pushes it, you should send your PS3 in for repair.

Thanks for the input. I'd hate to think that's it... and I don't exactly think that is the problem. If it was I think I'd see a similar problem in other graphically taxing games such as CoD4 and GT5p as well. I'd also believe if it was the PS3 'failing' that the problem would get progressively worse and that's not the case. It was there on day one (Tuesday morning at 1am) and is still there today. I guess I'll ultimately find out if the PS3 fails on me *knock on wood*. I really hope that it's some sort of burried setting in my TV... a dynamic contrast or image processing thing that I don't have access too. If it doesn't get fixed soon I'm going to have to get on the phone with Rockstar at some point and see if they can help me but as I said... Sony will blame rockstar, rockstar will blame Samsung and Samsung will blame Sony while I'm stuck with the same problem.

blackdisney
I swear I'm the only person in the world with this issue. I did have the lock-up thing today but it was easily resolved simply turning off my network and letting the game do it's thing. I backed up my saves on a memory card but never needed to use them. The network shuttoff did the trick for me.

My issue is that from the first time I put the disk in I was seeing many many 1-2 inch (on my 56" tv so please scale this in your mind) black boxes flashing all over certain areas. They are creating a blocky 'buzzing' effect (not unlike dropped render buckets in 3D renders) that are quite distracting. It makes me think there might be some sort of render failure in the game. It seems the worse in areas where the engine is trying to do something with transparency in a scene. Areas such as fog in the sky, the sky at dusk, glass and light in windows, rain on the ground and sometimes for no understandable reason at all. It's getting really distracting. Nothing like this has happened before so I doubted it was the cables. With that in mind I still tried switching the HDMI cable but that didn't help, switched it to component and again... no difference. Played with the settngs on the TV as well as in my PS3 to no avail. It's not doing anything like this in any other game or bluray disk so I'm at a loss for what it could be besides the Game. Still it could be the TV. For the record it's a Samsung 56" LED DLP which was purchased a year ago. I've had no problems like this until this game. Tomorrow I'm going to try to rent a copy somewhere and see if I get the same issues. I'm enjoying the game but this is silly. I know if I call the TV guys they'll say it's the PS3 and if I call Sony they'll say it's Rockstar's problem. I haven't found anything... ANYTHING in any forums, posts, internet stories or from friends or coworkers where someone is having a similar issue. Any info would be appreciated. Thnx.

Im having the same similar problem.. im glad im not alone with this. I went back to Gamestop to see if they exchange it for a new one and i got the same result. They told me it mite be my PS3. I played Call of Duty 4 after i played GTA4 and it worked just fine. Its the game not the system. Rockstar isnt going to answer if you call them cause the answering machine is filled up so they tell you to call them later..trust me i called. Sony says its Rockstar with the problem and not the system. But im experiencing the same problem. they just pop up when you get in areas of the game and how far you go gets even worse. i had to stop playing it cause i couldnt see anything.like walking and driving blind.

i hope they fix this problem this week, I dont feel like bringing my game back for another faulty game again.