Why GTA IV is the best game ever

Fockzilla

Fockzilla

GTA IV is the best game I ever played period. Here's why.

June of last year it had been exactly one year since I got sick of playing San Andreas. I played one night at a friend's house and got really ridiculously stoned and started hallucinating from acid flashbacks that the game was melding with reality. I had also received a 360 for Christmas the year before and I was convinced all the games on it were crap. Well, I bought Gears of War, everything else was crap. Then I beat that and realized that it too was nothing special except a collection of beautiful patterns set upon the screen by a team of top game creation monkeys and computer industry slaves.

After a particularly bad acid trip in which I believed I was in a Grand Theft Auto style video game (a hyper realistic universal life/death/reality/time/existence/history/genetics simulator to be precise) I started thinking maybe videogames and Grand Theft Auto in particular have a special significance in my life and will help me to complete the puzzle and to understand the great mystery. So I searched online for any info and sure enough there it was scheduled for release in October. October rolls around and GTA gets pushed to a later date. Out of sight out of mind.

Then I got The Orange Box, because I read online that Jhonen Vasquez loved it and why he loved it and I had lost faith in any and all videogame reviewers because they all seemed biased. I was now depending on deranged cartoonists to feed me my video game knowledge, how pathetic. I played it until I got bored of it which was two thirds into it. Thats when I realized that games were no longer doing it for me. I was no longer a gamer. Yet I still thought of the old days on the old systems and how even with what crap technology they had in those days they managed to pull off miracles sometimes. Then last week my friend was trying to get me to play Assassins Creed and I was so fed up with new games and all their disgusting new features that I told him straight up no, I didn't want to play, I would pay cash money to not have to play a videogame. This is coming from someone who has been playing for as long as they can remember, raised on videogames in a videogame family with videogame cousins and friends and a videogame culture growing up through school. I said to hell with the present, the past was better. I actually thought that with the limitations of software and technology was birthed a higher level of creativity and that now even with vast amounts of amazing tools nothing nearly as good as the old games could be produced.

Then a little after 4/20 I remembered that the new GTA was coming out on the 29th so I went back online searched, found reviews and was amazed that they all gave perfect scores across the board for both consoles. When I got it I played it to find that not only was it great, not only had it exceeded my expectations, it was as near as it can possibly be to perfection. It was more than this generation's The Godfather, it's more like the confirmation of a new legitimate mainstream artform for the masses, much like the beginning of golden era cinema in the 20th century. I remembered back in the 90s when I was promised by videogame insiders that one day soon videogames would be like virtual movies where you control the main character in a 3d environment and how cheesed out and duped I felt when I was presented with the N64. The promise was fulfilled after all. Now it seems like yesterday. It was one of those moments of epiphany when I realized I would look back on this day and remember it as one of the few times (or perhaps the first of many more to come, hopefully!) when a company in an industry set to consume my soul actually made me feel satisfied. It made me feel like if I was in The Matrix and Neo just came to free my ass from becoming computer food and I kicked him in the nuts to help maintain my living fantasy. I actually like the girl in the red dress! Screw you Morpheus! I'll look if I want! She wouldn't have turned into Smith if you didn't make me look at your dumb ass to begin with.

Within a few minutes of actual hands-on playing with this game I felt a familiar feeling. Where have I felt this before I wonder... in the mid nineties while watching TV I saw a news story about the first GTA, the game still had a very pixelated overhead view that made it look like it could've been released years before on the Sega or something. The idea that you could run people over and shoot cops was astonishing even for a videogame. Back then the biggest thing was Diablo which had just come out, it seemed pretty realistic for games released back then. That night I had a dream that I was in a videogame where I could run around and kill people like in the first GTA only 3d like I was told it would be, when I woke up I wanted to play the game just to write down ideas of what a 3d version could one day be like. I've been a fan of GTA ever since. For a long time I considered myself the biggest fan, seeing as how nobody else my age had even heard of the game at that point. Then came all the sequels which were cute, but never quite touched that same feeling ever again, if anything they killed it. The dream was dead. I had this vision in my head of what it could become and as far as I was concerned they just ruined it by making something half-ass real. After a while I just forgot the feeling and thought maybe it was some memory inside a dream I never really had. Fast forward to yesterday, oh yeah I know this feeling its the "oh my f***ing god: I'm playing Grand Theft Auto!" feeling I felt in a dream in 1997 before I even played the game.

This game single handedly renewed my faith in gaming, videogame reviewers, and the videogame industry itself. It also made me see how the 360 isn't really a piece of crap like I thought it was, I was just stuck in the PS2 era and never gave it a chance. This is one of the few games which gave me that moment, the ultimate gamer moment of bliss that we all live for when your hands meld with the controller and you become one with the game and you know you're playing it as much as it plays you. You can play for hours and those hours go by like minutes. Everything is new and vibrant, there are mysteries to be solved and goodies to get. And then presto! You realize there's actually a reason to keep playing and stay good as hell. There's multiplayer coming up after you beat the game to reward yourself for all the hard work you've done. You get to show off to your friends by displaying your supreme driving and killing ability on noobs. Oh and that's another thing! That one month free service on LIVE whenever you buy the game... genius!

So its true when they say this isn't a true sequel but a reinvention of the game. I think the true order of progression goes GTA, GTA III, GTA IV. Each era of GTA has its niche experience and each niche is different from the one before it. If you wanna talk about real sequels in the physical sense then technically this is GTA 10. But I love this one the best, not because I think its better than the ones before it, although that should go without saying. I love this one the best because in my opinion it is the best game ever, period. And I've played a lot of games, probably even some that most reviewers these days haven't even heard of and out of all of them this is the one that in every aspect I can think of achieves levels of excellence previously uncharted. This is one of those games where the more you love it and the more you play it, the more you get out of it, the better you get at it and the more little details you notice each time. Like the way they made it so you pick up speed when gliding between rows of cars. I haven't heard of anyone mention that yet, but this feature works better here than in most other supposed driving simulators. I'm also glad they recentered the focus of the game on what it was intended to be: a game about shooting, stealing and running from the police in the most realistic yet entertaining way possible. The fact that they took out all the distracting side elements from the GTA III era is a complete and total plus for me. RC Missions? Planes? The GYM? Skill building courses? Same clothes wearing gangsters? THANK GOD they're gone! Army and tanks? Sorry but I always thought it was cheesy to have an army come into town like every other day and not declare martial law, I'm glad they're gone. It was cool in the 2d games when you got like one tank in a secret location, but now the tank has become a joke and taken for granted.

Anyway thats why I love this game.

Yeah best game ever... all complainers are Sims player or something.

Don't refer to EA...

Please..

confused.gif

commodore_kid

After a particularly bad acid trip in which I believed I was in a Grand Theft Auto style video game (a hyper realistic universal life/death/reality/time/existence/history/genetics simulator to be precise) I

how much is everyone glad they werent driving past that day!

also plus one for best game ever

Not by a long shot, Grim Fandango remains to be the 'Best Game Ever' still.

user posted image

Maybe they just like a touch of individuality in character and car customization, that's all- we all like to feel special, and that doesn't make the complainers sim lovers.

Talking about sim lovers, those who love the realism of this game, the realistic driving mechanics, the realism of the city etc- they're more of a simulation lover than the complainers, aren't they? I just find this amusingly ironic. So maybe it's best not to categorize.

Fockzilla

Not by a long shot, Grim Fandango remains to be the 'Best Game Ever' still.

You're counting PC games? I was talking about a console game if you didn't notice. I only brought up Diablo as a comparison in the crappiness of the graphics of yesteryear and the supremo good quality Hi-Def big screen graphics of today. If I would have mentioned Duke Nukem 3d or Shadow Warrior, which would have been much more relevant or, god forbid, Final Fantasy VII a bunch more of you quasi-intellectual nerds would be offering your expert advice on my opinion.

Well It's certainly the best game I've ever played, but I haven't played enough games to know whther it's the best game ever. I'd like to think it was though.

Grand Theft Auto ... it was such a joy back in 1997 (and still is). Time flies.