SPAM and Phishing attacks in-game online!

jeebus_unit

jeebus_unit

So I was playing a CLOSED match on free-for-all with two of my friends. We were playing for maybe 30 minutes when we got the pop-up that "ED MAD KILL" had joined our match.

WTF? We couldn't figure out how someone had joined in.

wow.gif

Now all of the sudden we're getting asked if we want "free XBOX marketplace points" or a "free Wii or XBOX 360", we kept hunting down and killing the bot but the ads kept running on a loop over and over.

I found out that it was voice activated and said that I wanted to speak with his manager, sure enough we got transferred to a live operator. I sh*t you not. The live operator was quick to dismiss us and send us back into the loop with the automated spambot.

How did this thing hack our network??? Has anyone else experienced this???

I have never had this happen before on a 360 game, I can't believe it. mad.gif

Here is the gamertag for the account:

http://live.xbox.com/en-US/profile/profile...Tag=ED+MAD+KILL

jeebus_unit

So...nobody else has had this happen?

jeebus_unit

Hahah good point. Maybe it was actually Bill Gates using a fake accent. lol.gif

lolz its been awhiloe since i was on the xbox site seeing i got rid of my 360 it had to update my profile and my gaming points ect been reset lolz

and ring up MS or use there complaint thing on there website and they might be able to resolve it

Hahah good point. Maybe it was actually Bill Gates using a fake accent. lol.gif

Yeah! On a serious note, I've only played Free Roam a couple of times. I'm too interested in the story right now to waste time in MP. I'll jump in head first after the main story is beat. Right now I just use free roam to experiment if I don't want to risk paying the consequences for my actions, lol.

boogernut

yeah that sucks!

but i think it was an actual gamer just making money on side (or possibly as his main job...)???

People are getting smarter and smarter at making money, especially in advertising and watching you on internet (Adware/Spyware/Badware/etc..).....

And this person just thought of a smart way to cash in by playing his game while getting paid to advertise at the same time/not play himself, but use his game to make money advertising

jeebus_unit

I just hope this isn't a new trend in multiplayer gaming. It was soooooooooooo annoying, and to my knowledge there isn't a mute option for specific players in multi.

We reported him and blocked him. Bah...

The real question is how did the guy join our match when it was private??? mercie_blink.gif

There is, just go to your players list, and find his gamertag. Select it, then scroll down the menu and at the botom there is a "Mute" option.

jeebus_unit

Ahhhh cool, thanks for that.