xbox 360 - issues

Sir Chuck Norris

Sir Chuck Norris

angry.gif

As a majority of ppl who own GTA IV for the 360. I am too experiencing problems with it, I cannot play the game due to it constant freezing.

I have tried playing Fifa 2008 and COD IV, where I previously had no problems with the games mentioned prior to the release of GTA IV. I played the games after 5 mins into COD 4, it freezes. And just as I start th game on fifa it freezes.

R* what the hell???

You have taken all our hard earned money, we waited in queues for hours for your game and some of us have taken time off work to play this game.

A BIT OF COMMON COURTESY, at least have the decency to give us an update and how long will it be before this is fixed?

mad.gif

doa kappatango

If its affecting other games, you cant blame R*.

It sounds like you may have a HDD issue.

Sir Chuck Norris

But how do you explain that I had no problems with FIFA 08 prior to the release of GTA IV?

I was able to play GTA for 4/5 hours on 29th April. Then 2/3 hours on30th April and now I can't??

A majority off ppl are experiencing the same problem, so as far as I am concerned the source of the problem is GTA IV. I have no RROD nor I have I had any error msgs.

doa kappatango

But how do you explain that I had no problems with FIFA 08 prior to the release of GTA IV?

I was able to play GTA for 4/5 hours on 29th April. Then 2/3 hours on30th April and now I can't??

A majority off ppl are experiencing the same problem, so as far as I am concerned the source of the problem is GTA IV. I have no RROD nor I have I had any error msgs.

I am not at your house and I dont repesent R*.

Assumption when bug finding is the worst mistake you can make - just because others are having problems with GTA, doesn't mean that your issue is related, especially as ALL of your games are not working.

Try playing FIFA/COD with the HDD off, see what happens.

also: "A majority off ppl are experiencing the same problem" is not true, I would not say its the majority, but the MINORITY.

Edited by doa kappatango

Assumption when bug finding is the worst mistake you can make - just because others are having problems with GTA, doesn't mean that your issue is related, especially as ALL of your games are not working.

also: "A majority off ppl are experiencing the same problem" is not true, I would not say its the majority, but the MINORITY.

Think most people who are getting problems with the game crashing are on PS3. Heard load of folk going on about that. This is the first XBox version problem I've heard.

Sir Chuck Norris

I don't own a HDD.

thebritishbulldog

How can the GTA4 DVD be affecting other games? Its impossible.

Expect RROD anytime.

I've had zero issues...

and i have a first gen xbox360, with the 1/3 failure rate and sh*tty drive 'n all. It's old, dusty, overused and won't be with me for another two years I think... but it plays GTA just fine. Very little graphical issues (just the expected pop in here and there, barely noticable and some minor glitches)... the only noticable slowdown was when I had about 20 to 25 people bouncing off of my hood, which proves that my streets are well populated all of the times.

the only solution I can offer people is to clean out the cache on startup, might help with the framerate and pop in, and even with the crashes... crashes could also come from the online connection. I've seen people suggesting rockstar social club is the culprit. Try playing offline, see if that helps.

doa kappatango

I don't own a HDD.

With no hard drive the performance will suffer. the game uses the HDD to cache (pre-load) the information required.

Maybe an older 360 would even have problems with the old chipset and GFX.

All I can offer, sorry.

Sir Chuck Norris

Hmmmm got it working, then froze roughly 1hr 30mins into the game.

I'll try and source myself a HDD, I have one but I keep getting the HDD error.

angry.gif

As a majority of ppl who own GTA IV for the 360. I am too experiencing problems with it, I cannot play the game due to it constant freezing.

I have tried playing Fifa 2008 and COD IV, where I previously had no problems with the games mentioned prior to the release of GTA IV. I played the games after 5 mins into COD 4, it freezes. And just as I start th game on fifa it freezes.

R* what the hell???

You have taken all our hard earned money, we waited in queues for hours for your game and some of us have taken time off work to play this game.

A BIT OF COMMON COURTESY, at least have the decency to give us an update and how long will it be before this is fixed?

mad.gif

Sounds like you have a problem with your dvd-drive. Think ya may have to get it fixed from microsoft if possible.

I must be one of the lucky few who haven't experienced any problems.....the game runs fine for me!

doa kappatango
I must be one of the lucky few who haven't experienced any problems.....the game runs fine for me!

I have had no problems either. The ones with problems will all post - the guys wth none....they are all playing online and not complaining.

Its the minority with issues. 4.7 copies sold worldwide - if it was MAJOR problems, we would know more.

Sir Chuck Norris

I have had no problems either. The ones with problems will all post - the guys wth none....they are all playing online and not complaining.

Its the minority with issues. 4.7 copies sold worldwide - if it was MAJOR problems, we would know more.

It would make sense that th source of the problem would be the disk drive.

Think I'll get in touch with MS... mad.gif

Gutted tbh

Try clearing your cache on the memory blade... someone in the regular GTA IV forums suggested this that it is overloading the cache, the 360 cant handle it, so it locks up... its worth a shot... All it does is deletes all the updates from previous games... doesnt delete any actual data or saved games... give it a shot

Alright folks, first post.... here goes...

I've read a lot into the xbox 360 problems, and also read a lot of bullsh*t... people saying that it's just coincidence etc...

In my case, i've had my xbox for ages and never had one problem... until I started to play GTA IV... or attempted to play would be more appropriate !!!

After 8 freezes... and restarts... I finally end up with the dreaded RRoL. sad.gif

Already contacted microsoft to repair it.

As per the xbox forums... this does seem to be a common problem... and not just the 10 folk on here for example.

Totally gutted to say the least !!! All the hype for this.

Ah well.... heres hoping they get a patch out and get it sorted asap.

Enjoy the game in the meantime lads gggrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

My GTA IV freezes on my xbox ONLY when driving around (fast)...and only occasionally.

It just happened before...I waited 15 seconds and it broke out of the freeze and kept going...

5 minutes later it just froze and I had to turn off the machine.

I am getting worried. I have an older xbox 360, but this is still very disheartening.

Sir Chuck Norris
Try clearing your cache on the memory blade... someone in the regular GTA IV forums suggested this that it is overloading the cache, the 360 cant handle it, so it locks up... its worth a shot... All it does is deletes all the updates from previous games... doesnt delete any actual data or saved games... give it a shot

I have done this and made alot more space available. Cleared the cache, and it still freezes.

I have now accepted defeat.

Contacted M$ and obtained UPS Label to have it sent off to M$ for repair.

what should I do if it's only GTA4 thats not working but I think its the BenQ drive to blame

Hi i'm brand new to this site, not sure if this has been mentioned or tried but I have the arcade version of 360, and the freezing issue seems to have been averted on my console by turning off the autosave feature. Then its just like the old go to a save location and save it there... This has so far worked for me...

MoMoneyAn1

Im sorta having the same problem when it comes to freezing but the thing is its only on a single mission (Having a Heart - Elizzebella) which after the cutscene the screen as usually goes black but then stays black & they're are no words at the bottom right corner saying the mission name & i have to restart my 360 again. I had though it was just a minor glitch & if i try to load the mission again it would work, NOT, my 360 froze again & then i decided to stop doing it (after i tried one more time) & did something else but the thing is i need to do this mission in order to progress through the story mode (atleast i think so) so if anyone could help me address this issue i would highly aprreciate it. Oh & also i talk to my friend & of his friends have the same type of issue, one of them can load up multiplayer without it freezing.

Sir Chuck Norris
Hi i'm brand new to this site, not sure if this has been mentioned or tried but I have the arcade version of 360, and the freezing issue seems to have been averted on my console by turning off the autosave feature. Then its just like the old go to a save location and save it there... This has so far worked for me...

How do you turn off the autosave feature?

Not at all impossible.

When I first put in the disc it required that I install an update from the GTA IV disc... So, yeah, playing the game has added/changed/modified my console on some level. I'm not online, so the only patches or mods I install come on the game discs themselves.

I haven't tried playing any games I was previously playing, so I don't know if I'll have issues yet, but GTA IV is freezing up constantly -- giving the dirty disc error, and often when I restart giving a white screen that says put this disc in an XBOX (frustrating when it IS in an XBOX).

Frustrated...

Edited by heiro5

angrycupidstunt

My Xbox loves GTA 4, this game runs best on it, it harldy heats up at all.

not for me. It just doesn't work any longer. I go to a mission and freeze. That's all she wrote.

andycotterell

A quick search through forums etc shows that this problem is widespread. I was able to play for an hour or so after I first installed it but now it freezes after about 10 seconds every time.

I hear that Rockstar are embarrassed and apologetic about this (as they should be - this is a shameful mess) but unless they actually tell us something useful soon they will lose a lot of goodwill. In fact, if they don't get a fix out in the next couple of days I'm just going to return it and get a refund. Then I'll pick up a pre-owned copy when it's all fixed, thus avoiding all this unnecessary hassle and keeping the cash away from undeserving Rockstar.

My freezes come sporadically.

It first came during the intro scene.

Then it ONLY CAME if I went off course from the determined GPS route when I drive back to roman's apartment after the intro scene.

Keep in mined I bypassed the intro scene by hitting the A Button frantically.

Once I got to romans apartment I had to hit A repeatedly or else the game would freeze if I allowed the outside apartment chat to happen.

After that the game was smooth and never froze again.

Stopped playing around 4 am.

Woke up today, went to load and it freezes every time right after loading.

I deleted the game save (which pisses me off cause I made some good progress) and tried to start over. Tried to repeat what I did last night and it doesn't work at all.

It freezes now right after the little Rockstar and Art intro.

I can't even get into the game.....

seriously rockstar.....this is disappointing. First bully now this.

AND WHY IS EVERYONE TALKING ABOUT THE PS3 WHEN EVERYONE I KNOW WITH A 360 IS GETTING THE SAME ISSUE?

There are barely any professional blogs / video game review sites talking about the 360 freeze.

Glad this place has discussion on it.

You should make 2 child boards one for ps3 issues, the other for 360 issues

MasterJake
Hi i'm brand new to this site, not sure if this has been mentioned or tried but I have the arcade version of 360, and the freezing issue seems to have been averted on my console by turning off the autosave feature.  Then its just like the old go to a save location and save it there...  This has so far worked for me...

How do you turn off the autosave feature?

If my memory tell me right....

1.Pause the game

2.go right to the last option or second to last

3.it should say auto save

4.then switch it to no.

I dont know about you guys but i did EVERYTHING!

I put my xbox by a fan,window, and i put ice on top so it wont over heat.

I deleted EVERYTHING i even went as far as deleteing the music.

I am very desperate to play this game.

Last night it was playing pretty good...

Although it started doing something funny when I'd get in a cab. Game doesn't follow Nico into cab, so you can't continue, but also can't get out of cab. So you just sit there as life goes on all around. Had to force quit. This was happening when I'd get in a cab with someone else...

But TODAY, f*ckin forget about it... Crashed 2 to 10 minutes in, four times in a row, and sometimes have to restart 3 or 4 times for Xbox and disc to recognize each other. f*cking terrible.

detroitcity

Expect RROD anytime.

The same way one computer program can affect everything else on a pc. It could be the save file from GTA IV that is affecting his system. Just a thought. My PS3 crashed today, but the PS3 problem involves the network connection. When the network is disable all's well. It doesn't however affect any other game.