Is it just me, or does IV not have HDR lighting?

hnesb

UPDATE AT BOTTOM

I'm sure I read in an interview that GTAIV would have HDR (high dynamic range) lighting ( Wiki ), but I can't see it working?

Perhaps it is there, but just very weak. Comparing to games such as COD4, Half life 2 etc (where it is used quite obviously) in GTAIV it almost seems to be non-existant.

Anyone else notice this?

Anyway it's not a big deal, the game rocks!

Edited by hnesb

Just to clarify, I'm talking about the effect you get from walking out of a dark area into a light area and everything seems 'too bright' for a few seconds before you eyes adjust. Loads of games on the PS3 have this: Uncharted, COD4, Assassins Creed etc... but it doesn't seem to be in IV (at least not noticeably)

Again, I'm not talking about the 'Real-time lighting' or 'global' lighting, I'm quite aware of this in the game. I'm talking specifically about the post processing effect known as HDR. It simulates the adjusting aperture of the eyes or a camera lens when moving between areas with different light values. It's all over next gen games, so why not IV?

I'm sure I read in an interview that GTAIV would have HDR (high dynamic range) lighting ( Wiki ), but I can't see it working?

Perhaps it is there, but just very weak. Comparing to games such as COD4, Half life 2 etc (where it is used quite obviously) in GTAIV it almost seems to be non-existant.

Anyone else notice this?

Anyway it's not a big deal, the game rocks!

Half Life 2? HDR only got added to the Half-Life series from Episode 1 and Loast Coast as far as I know.

Half Life 2? HDR only got added to the Half-Life series from Episode 1 and Loast Coast as far as I know.

Yeh, that's right, sorry!

spaceman okay
Again, I'm not talking about the 'Real-time lighting' or 'global' lighting, I'm quite aware of this in the game. I'm talking specifically about the post processing effect known as HDR. It simulates the adjusting aperture of the eyes or a camera lens when moving between areas with different light values. It's all over next gen games, so why not IV?

high dynamic range means high dynamic range it doesnt mean iris simulator. it allows more details in the darks and lights and allows them to be shown together, the effect your talking about does not necessarily have anything to do with hdr

bvproductions

I don't think this iris adjustment thing you speak of is in the game.

I have played the games you listed that have used it, though..

yeah that's not HDR

HDR is most commonly known in still photography when you composite several images together that were taken at different exposures to create one image with more balanced lighting and detail

I actually do see a similar effect in GTA IV as it goes, you notice a change in colour/brightness before you go outside from inside and vice versa..... it's kinda sudden though? it happens in a kinda non-realistic way but that kinda thing doesn't really bother me in a game like this

Gta IV King
Just to clarify, I'm talking about the effect you get from walking out of a dark area into a light area and everything seems 'too bright' for a few seconds before you eyes adjust. Loads of games on the PS3 have this: Uncharted, COD4, Assassins Creed etc... but it doesn't seem to be in IV (at least not noticeably)

That's not HDR Lighting... Even Tony Hawks used that...

Games I own:

GTA IV/SA/VC/III, COD4/3/2, Gears Of War, Battlefield 2, Counter Strike, Bio Shock, Halo 3, The Club, Frontline: fuel of war, Rb6v 1/2, Army Of Two, Guitar Hero 2/3, Forza 2, Far cry, PGR 3/4, Spiderman 3, Colin Mcrae Dirt, Saints Row, Fifa 06/07/08, Oblivion, Amped 3, G.R.A.W 1/2, Crackdown, Skate, Dead rising, Sonic, every Lara Croft ever made (I've always loved it since the first Tomb raider)... Won't include Xbox 1, PS1/2 or N64 games because it'll take all day to write...

Oh, yes I'm a geek...

The first thing I did in Episode 1 was to turn that thing off. I don't like it as I don't like motion blur. Some things are better left to the human eye alone.

Gta IV King

Think a dusty room... Now think a small window with light shining into the dusty room... Thats HDR.

Remember playing G.R.A.W 2?

Games I own:

GTA IV/SA/VC/III, COD4/3/2, Gears Of War, Battlefield 2, Counter Strike, Bio Shock, Halo 3, The Club, Frontline: fuel of war, Rb6v 1/2, Army Of Two, Guitar Hero 2/3, Forza 2, Far cry, PGR 3/4, Spiderman 3, Colin Mcrae Dirt, Saints Row, Fifa 06/07/08, Oblivion, Amped 3, G.R.A.W 1/2, Crackdown, Skate, Dead rising, Sonic, every Lara Croft ever made (I've always loved it since the first Tomb raider)... Won't include Xbox 1, PS1/2 or N64 games because it'll take all day to write...

Oh, yes I'm a geek...

UPDATE

sorry revive a dead thread, but I found this quote from one of the game developers:

"The real-time shadows are working across every object and surface in the game with everything self-shadowing and casting onto everything else, there's ambient occlusion and emissive lighting on top of that. And then your standard next-gen shenanigans - light shafts, bloom, depth of field and motion blur, and of course it goes without saying everything's rendered with HDR."

I feel this is a little misleading. I admit I confused the concept of HDR and Adaptive Tone Mapping, but, unless anyone can prove otherwise, there definitely isn't any self-shadowing or ambient occlusion.

For someone like me, who is a bit of a tech junkie when it comes to real time rendering techniques, I feel this is a bit of a let down. Self shadowing is in most next gen games (even burnout paradise that features a simalarly streaming city scape) and ambient occlusion would have made such a huge difference to this game.

Anyway, it's all kind of irrelevant anyway. This game is beautiful considering the size of it, the use of shaders and realtime shadowing is simply breathtaking.

Edited by hnesb