Which console to buy? Need advice

sparky63

I appreciate your input on this, as I don't know much about either console

I need some facts, NOT fanboy wars on which console is most practical to get if I were to get one only to play gta. I just want to play the game any means possible, so I don't care which works/looks better. Ignore episodic content and minor issues like installation time.

They are big purchases and I want to make the right decision.

The most important factors to me are, in order: cost, reliability, whether online is free.

Here's my reasons for choosing the consoles, correct me if I'm wrong and please offer some advice on how to overcome the cons. I would also like to know where I can get a cheap ps3/360 online (apart from ebay) taking into account shipping to australia

XBOX 360

Pros

CHEAP

Cons

Unreliable (are new consoles better?)

Have to pay to get online?

Region locked

Arcade/Core won't work as well due to no hard drive?

PS3

Pros

Free online???

More reliable

Region free

Cons

EXPENSIVE

Thanks a lot

SwissArmyTrained

I just bought a used XBOX 360 to play GTA IV! Decision was based only on cost for investment.

Facts:

-The console is cheap (used even cheaper)

-Most multiplayer options are available for free (no ranking though)

-It works quite well, but is little noisy (just turn up the volume of your tv set...)

I cannot tell anything about PS3 cause I do not own one.

My adivce to you: Go to your favorite store, buy the one that is nearer to the entry to save energy for the game! biggrin.gif

Edited by SwissArmyTrained

RollsRoyceD

Yeah I bought my system used (still under warranty) on craigslist for $200 plus a $20 dollar reserve he had for GTA 4. So i got the game for about $40. Overall an excellent investment. Put put about 15 hours into IV, 5 hour incraments, and the system has worked flawless. No random freezing, or RROD's or whatever. I got scared one time though, when i failed a mission, and I used the cell phone to redo the mission, the loading took longer than all the other ones, i was like NO! my first freeze, I was getting ready to restart the system, but sure enough a few more seconds the mission loaded. Im sure the controls on the PS3 are better, but Ive actually gotten quite used to the 360 controls. So overall Im happy. I made a great investment in my mind.

I'd say PS3, coz in the long run, you're gonna be able to get more games (as well as movies) because Blu-Ray is the format of the future, and eventually DVDs will die out and then you'll be stuck with a 360. (No offense to 360 owners)

I'd say PS3, coz in the long run, you're gonna be able to get more games (as well as movies) because Blu-Ray is the format of the future, and eventually DVDs will die out and then you'll be stuck with a 360. (No offense to 360 owners)

True about movies but I don't know what you're talking about regarding 360 games

FriTheAntiHero

As everybody knows, XBL gold costs $. But the thing is, at least the money goes to quality game servers. I don't care if it costs, as long as I get to play my games. icon14.gif

RollsRoyceD

Well by that time, PS3's should be cheap enough to buy so it wont matter to us 360 owners. Its just too damn expensive right now to invest in one, especially since Ive heard theres a lot of issues with them right now.

Well, if it's JUST for GTA4, get the PS3.

I have an Xbox, and like it very much, GTA4 is great, best graphics ever seen.

But, just this morning the disk got scratched inside the console. Luckily, I bought disk reassurance, so I took it back to get another disk.

I am very afraid I might need to send it off to Microsoft to get it fixed, if GTA4 gets scratched again.

Johnny Burbank

I have both. They're both very good in their own ways. I wouldn't say one is really better than the other. There are small differences, but if you look at everything in total, I don't think there is a clear winner or loser as a PURE VIDEO-GAME CONSOLE.

HOWEVER, if you want other multi-media features, then each has its own to offer and that should tilt you one way or another. Example, the PS3 has a BR player, and the 360 has a downloadable movie service.

And FWIW a lot of people complain that the 360 is loud. My PS3 is just as loud (fan noise).

TheItalianOak

I have both and I love them.

Been playing the PS3 A LOT more, and I def got GTA for PS3 cause I've always played on PS.

Plus Gran turismo 5 is coming out and so is socom (hopefully) for PS3

-Most multiplayer options are available for free (no ranking though)

Really? I thought online multiplayer was a gold (paid subscription) option on Live...neat.

In any case, I bought my PS3 used (and therefore relatively cheap), for many of the reasons listed in the OP. It seems you (OP) have a good idea of the pros and cons, so it will really be up to what suits you (and perhaps which console more of your friends have). My deciding factor was, ironically, price. I refuse to pay a monthly subscription for online, pay extra for wireless, and possibly buy a replacement console or pay for a warranty for known issues with a console. That is just one person's opinion, though...and the risks associated with getting a used console exist no matter which one you decide on.

I only have the 360, so I'm gonna tell you what I think about it.

PROS:

-Cheap as hell

-More games

-Altough it's pay'd, XBOX LIVE rocks, because MS NEEDS to deliver the pay'd online.

-Achievements(It adds to the replay)

CONS:

-RROD(Altough if you have the newer ones, and you take care of it, it won't happen)

-Pay'd Online

-Noisy(Altough the newer ones are less noisy)

So, there you go. I would say, go with the one that you can afford. I mean, they're exactly the same, but the PS3 got shorter loading times and the 360 got Achievements.

And FWIW a lot of people complain that the 360 is loud. My PS3 is just as loud (fan noise).

My PS3 is absolutely silent, at all times. The only thing i ever hear from it is the whisper-quiet chugchug noise when it's reading the disc.

Les pop-in = win for ps3

On the other hand, Xbox 360 = DLC, but it costs money.

Basically get a 360 if you plan on spending money for lots of extras such as the DLC, Xbox Live Gold, and some other crap. And get a ps3 if you want everything inlcluded for free and if you just wanna play & forget.

Thanks for the input smile.gif

So do I have to pay for online? My understanding right now is yes for 360, no for ps3?

Thanks for the input smile.gif

So do I have to pay for online? My understanding right now is yes for 360, no for ps3?

PS3 Online play is free, you have to subscribe to XBL for the 360

You want advice but you don't care which is better? Why not flip a coin, you dumb f*cking c*nt.

Thanks!

Also, supposing I was to buy a 360, would the Core/Arcade do, or will a hard drive make things easier?

Thanks!

Also, supposing I was to buy a 360, would the Core/Arcade do, or will a hard drive make things easier?

I'd strongly recommend a HD. The arcade only comes with 250-odd MB of storage, and for the downloadable content, and other stuff you may need, that really is not enough.

A 20GB HD will suffice

I had this dilemma a few months back.

I played around with both consoles before making up my mind. I simply found the 360 to be too loud, I watch a lot of movies and other shows at night by either streaming from my PC or just dvd's. Also, Ive had a playstation since PS1 so any other controller just doesn't feel right to me, I know the 360 ones are probably better than PS3 one's (they have vibration for one) but its about personal preference.

Try both and see how you go.

I went for the PS3 and am very happy with it so far.

i have both....i NEVER play the PS3, theres simply not enough good games on that system. i use it more for an entertainment center than a video game console. great for watching Divx movies as you dont have to convert them

the 360 online is by far superior & well worth the $60/year

the PS3 online is free, but you get what you pay for. theres no way to access messages during gameplay.....so if you want to play with your friends, you either have to call them on your phone, or you have to exit out of the game to communicate. its such a pain in the ass, its not even funny.

maybe PS3 will be better when home & XMB access becomes available, but for me, xbox live kills PS3s online service