A Rational Reason to care about the Differences

sephiro444

I got to thinking about why I myself care about the differences in the PS3 and Xbox 360 versions. I own both systems and am rational enough not to slavishly advocate a simple piece of hardware. Maybe some of the people are fanboys or nitpickers looking for any difference, but there has to be something more than that driving the curiosity...

I think the reason some of us are concerned with the difference in the versions is they:

• own both consoles,
  • want to decide the "best" version to get, and
  • aren't automatically swayed by the current set of established, factual differences.
Obviously if all your friends have one console or the other, or you care a great deal about Achievements or DLC, the decision is easy (and hence they aren't the ones agonizing over it).

For those remaining (myself included), we are wanting to conclusively know the positives and negatives of each. There are clearly stated differences that are indisputable (DLC, XBL, and Achievements for the 360; free multiplayer for the PS3; and each systems' respective controller), but beyond that -- framerates, load times, pop-up and image quality -- everything is harder to pin down.

And since Rockstar doesn't seem inclined to enumerate the exact differences (e.g. "360 has a 15% higher average framerate" "PS3 allowed us to do add better aliasing and reduce load times an average of 3 seconds"), but instead just say "The two versions perform nearly identically," it leaves gamers in my position struggling to fill in the gaps.

If the versions really and truly play virtually identically with no room for comment, then so be it and gamers can decide based on everything else. But it's the lack in solid information (and contradictory opinions all over the place) that makes it difficult.

I agree with you so much... There's many threads asking which console works better, and I've been spending loads of time trying to figure it out... both consoles have +'s and both consoles have -'s. Both consoles have annoying technical difficulties which are being reported on a grand scale. I actually made my decision on controller type. I'm $400 to Sony because, frankly, their controller has the buttons closer together and I have nimble fingers so I'll be fine.

Here's the first bit of hard evidence related to the technical differences, beyond just system features that we've already seen. It will be interesting to see if this ever gets official confirmation, but it could have an impact if you have a big enough screen to tell the difference.

GTA IV Runs At 630P on PlayStation 3

"Early test reports are finding that Grand Theft Auto IV is only running at 630P on the PlayStation 3 -- falling short of hi def -- while the game runs at 720P on the Xbox 360."

"So if GTA IV is running at only 630P on the PS3, that does mean PS3 gamers are seeing 90 less lines of resolution—or quite a bit from a relative standpoint. And it's fast-approaching the Wii's standard def, 480p output."

Here's the first bit of hard evidence related to the technical differences, beyond just system features that we've already seen.  It will be interesting to see if this ever gets official confirmation, but it could have an impact if you have a big enough screen to tell the difference.

GTA IV Runs At 630P on PlayStation 3

"Early test reports are finding that Grand Theft Auto IV is only running at 630P on the PlayStation 3 -- falling short of hi def -- while the game runs at 720P on the Xbox 360."

"So if GTA IV is running at only 630P on the PS3, that does mean PS3 gamers are seeing 90 less lines of resolution—or quite a bit from a relative standpoint. And it's fast-approaching the Wii's standard def, 480p output."

kinda funny how consoles claim to be in full HD, but they fall short...especially the Wii, that one is mad low