Regarding Gamestop/EB

SegFault[AX]

SegFault[AX]

I have been to a bunch of midnight launches for different games and consoles over the years. I have pre ordered games from many different stores, and had uniformly decent results thus far. More recently, most of the games I have pre ordered have been through Gamestop/EB games. I am well acquainted with their policies for pre ordering, especially when it pertains to midnight launches. I am not a GS/EB employee, so I can't speak for sure but I am almost certain in saying that their policy is simply: if you have placed a pre order for a game before it is in transit to the stores, you are guaranteed a copy of the version/edition you ordered (Regular, Special, Limited, etc.) that will never be sold to anyone else. In other words, if you don't go to the midnight launch and they sell out of non reserved copies, then the remaining pre ordered copies will be saved indefinitely. Of course, there have been times where employees have sold reserved copies to friends or given other preferential treatment, but overall I think they discourage doing that for big titles as much as possible. This is simply my interpretation of what dozens of employees have told me. Has anyone had an experience that might contradict this?

,Apr 29 2008, 00:10] I have been to a bunch of midnight launches for different games and consoles over the years. I have pre ordered games from many different stores, and had uniformly decent results thus far. More recently, most of the games I have pre ordered have been through Gamestop/EB games. I am well acquainted with their policies for pre ordering, especially when it pertains to midnight launches. I am not a GS/EB employee, so I can't speak for sure but I am almost certain in saying that their policy is simply: if you have placed a pre order for a game before it is in transit to the stores, you are guaranteed a copy of the version/edition you ordered (Regular, Special, Limited, etc.) that will never be sold to anyone else. In other words, if you don't go to the midnight launch and they sell out of non reserved copies, then the remaining pre ordered copies will be saved indefinitely. Of course, there have been times where employees have sold reserved copies to friends or given other preferential treatment, but overall I think they discourage doing that for big titles as much as possible. This is simply my interpretation of what dozens of employees have told me. Has anyone had an experience that might contradict this?

Well I'm not really worried about them selling my copy. The GS/EB I reserved at is in a mall and I think few people go there. When I put the money down on the game I would say about two people came in and walked right back out. Most people be at the lame ass shoe store next to it. I'm pretty sure there will hardly be anyone there when I go get my copy tomorrow. Also I have never experienced a store selling my reserved copy of anything.

SegFault[AX]

Yea, my store only opened a few months ago (like 2), so I am fairly sure that it is "undiscovered" by many in the area. There is a huge mall not but a few blocks from it, and another standalone Gamestop a bit further. Hopefully those ones get flooded and mine is relatively untouched. I guess we'll see though.

crobert0247
' date='Apr 28 2008, 19:24'] Yea, my store only opened a few months ago (like 2), so I am fairly sure that it is "undiscovered" by many in the area. There is a huge mall not but a few blocks from it, and another standalone Gamestop a bit further. Hopefully those ones get flooded and mine is relatively untouched. I guess we'll see though.

You should be fine to go in anytime in the first 48 hours of release to get it. Let us know how everything turns out. tounge.gif

throughthetrees

I prepaid in full at gamestop about 3 mths ago and was told that they would guarantee to have a copy of the game for me at the midnight release and would then hold a copy for up to the first 48hrs, after that they may or may not have a copy for me immediately but that i could get a refund at any time if i decided not to take my copy of the game. So they reserved the right to sell the reserved copy after 48hrs... perfectly reasonable i thought. i'm going tonight anyway! can't wait!

AceOfDeath666

I Pre-Ordered, In Full, On saturday And I Was TOld I Woudl Get A Copy

Formerly working at a GameStop in Brooklyn, NY we would typically hold all reserve copies for at least a week. By the end of the week, or by the next shipment received, we would begin to sell the pre-ordered copies that were hold for over 7 days. By then, you usually don't have to worry about the game being sold out considering the number in-stock. Unforunately I haven't had the pleasure of working a shift during the Halo 3 launch but this was how we proceeded with a lot of games well into Christmas of 07.