Rockstar Uk support

kirisute

ok just got off the phone to Rockstar Uk Support....

basically asked IF you have an early LEGAL copy of the game what will happen if you play it online....

answer..."we dont really know..we are waiting for an official source to let us know....but we are reccomending our customers DONT play online. Simply because we dont know what might/might not happen."

so there ya go....

if your one of the lucky few that can grab an early copy....might be best to unplug your network cables!

At least someone had the sense to call the head honchos... Shame they couldn't fully answer the question...

cookie.gif

There is nothing they can do. If you legally obtain a copy from a store play it. It's not your problem. At no point have you signed a contract to say you won't.

The store that sold it too you... they're in sh*t... trust me I used to work in a London game store and we broke the street date for one of the Star Wars movies... my boss didn't last too long after that.

Random kids to xer0er earlier this week:

"wtf take pics, take vids, connect to live, prove it prove it, dont lie you dont need to call rockstar, u lyar!!!1"

I've got the balls to connect, but I don't see the risk of it. Why not wait the extra days? I don't have any gold membership, and my internet is capped, so there isn't any point me connecting to live.

Wouldn't it be better to phone microsoft instead of R* cos they're are the ones who will be banning if its true. Will Online play even be enabled if you were to play now. the screens are from a single online game so they won't boot it properly till monday night.

Wouldn't it be better to phone microsoft instead of R* cos they're are the ones who will be banning if its true.

not if its on ps3! LOL

Phoning R*, jeez you people are mental, if you have obtained a legal copy, you can play it, microsoft can't suspend an account you pay for because of a retail error !

Wouldn't it be better to phone microsoft instead of R* cos they're are the ones who will be banning if its true.

not if its on ps3! LOL

They aren't threatening to ban anyone though its only microsoft

Phoning R*, jeez you people are mental, if you have obtained a legal copy, you can play it, microsoft can't suspend an account you pay for because of a retail error !

Exactly

I'm pretty sure Microsoft can ban whoever they want.

What you gonna do, sue em? They'll happily stand you in court.

TheItalianOak

I "heard" from a dork at a local gamestop that they will ban your account.

But the dork was the source who was also 400 pounds and eating wings.

I'm pretty sure Microsoft can ban whoever they want.

What you gonna do, sue em? They'll happily stand you in court.

Why would they? You haven't done anything wrong. The game store has, sure, but as a customer you are just playing the game you bought. R*, MS and Sony all know that some deliveries will be made early. Why would they lose loyal customers over such a petty issue.

Microsoft is quite tedious with their contracts.

Upon joining and every time you use Live, you agree to Microsoft's terms of service, which is a legal binding contract.

This part is most relevant;

17. CHANGES TO THE SERVICE; OUR CANCELLATION OF THE SERVICE

We may change the Service or delete or discontinue features, games or other content at any time and for any reason. We may cancel or suspend your Service at any time. Our cancellation or suspension may be without cause and/or without notice. Upon Service cancellation, your right to use the Service stops right away. Once the Service is cancelled or suspended, any data you have stored on the Service may not be retrieved later. Our cancellation of the Service will not alter your obligation to pay all charges made to your Billing Account. If we cancel the Service in its entirety without cause, then we will refund to you, on a pro-rata basis the amount of your payment to Microsoft corresponding to the portion of your Service remaining right before such cancellation.

Edit: I'm not saying they would. I'm saying they legally can do so.

Stupid question but has there actually been any official statements regarding the banning. I've never seen MS ever say they were gonna ban people and no R* say they don't know its clearly not true.

Upon joining and every time you use Live, you agree to Microsoft's terms of service, which is a legal binding contract.

We may change the Service or delete or discontinue features, games or other content at any time and for any reason. We may cancel or suspend your Service at any time. Our cancellation or suspension may be without cause and/or without notice. Upon Service cancellation, your right to use the Service stops right away. Once the Service is cancelled or suspended, any data you have stored on the Service may not be retrieved later. Our cancellation of the Service will not alter your obligation to pay all charges made to your Billing Account. If we cancel the Service in its entirety without cause, then we will refund to you, on a pro-rata basis the amount of your payment to Microsoft corresponding to the portion of your Service remaining right before such cancellation.

It is entirely irrelevant. Sorry. If you are worried don't go online, but seriously, as long as you don't post Videos they honestly have nothing to ban you for.

I think we are just going to have to agree to disagree! smile.gif

How come if you look at players that you know have GTA achievements on xbox.co.uk it shows that there aren't any achievements?? seems weird cos we all know what they are

It is entirely irrelevant. Sorry. If you are worried don't go online, but seriously, as long as you don't post Videos they honestly have nothing to ban you for.

I think we are just going to have to agree to disagree! smile.gif

I'm not paranoid.

I'd go online and then take it up with Rockstar and Microsoft if I got banned. I don't think they will ban me.

The only reason I'm not online is because I've used all my monthly bandwidth at this address and am speed-capped to 56k.

Second reason is my XBL Gold subscription expired two weeks ago.

I personally think R* and Microsoft are saying these things just to incite some fear in those who downloaded the game early, and the few that managed to get it early.

- I agree with you, I'm just saying it is in the ToS that Microsoft can ban anyone, any time, any reason.

When we do go online exactly how hard will it be to find and beat a R* developed. Will it be viral like the last few games with this achievement?

I'm just saying it is in the ToS that Microsoft can ban anyone, any time, any reason.

Fair point.

well i think that R* might not ban you from playing online..but they might well ban you from the Social Club etc etc....THATS IF they do any banning at all whatsoever...

the reason i started this post wasnt to argue the toss about banning or not banning..but just supply the "words from the horses mouth"

i didnt want my social club status revoked/banned....asked a question nobody could answer....so i phone R* support and asked......as it happens the nice lady on the end of the line...(hayley as i recall) didnt know the answer either...

I think the point of Rockstar's email saying they'll be watching, along with MS, was to make users think that they'd be banned, thus making them set their privacy options to BLOCKED.

Why? Because they didn't want the world to see people playing GTA IV early, didn't want things getting leaked. Didn't want people harassing those playing it early. Use your imagination to work out more. wink.gif

Wow there are some paranoid people on here. There has never been anything in the Terms of Service saying you can't play a legal copy of the game before release. People do it with every single game (including myself for about 90% of the AAA titles) and we don't hear a peep from MS.

I think the point of Rockstar's email saying they'll be watching, along with MS, was to make users think that they'd be banned, thus making them set their privacy options to BLOCKED.

Why? Because they didn't want the world to see people playing GTA IV early, didn't want things getting leaked. Didn't want people harassing those playing it early. Use your imagination to work out more. wink.gif

A good point well made. I entirely agree.

Why not just wait until Tuesday,then you can go online all you want.

so tell me in ALL honesty....

say for instance: you have the game in your hands NOW! and you wont play it til tuesday??

say for instance: you have the game in your hands NOW! and you wont play it til tuesday??

Well,considering I don't care for online gaming,I wouldn't have that problem.

I have it -now- (my gamestore leaked early) and I have no desire to play it online.

Maybe when I've finished single player...