3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

1. GTANet 20th Anniversary
    2. Support

3. Suggestions

Xbox 360 & Fans

Zombsta

Hey, with GTA 4 being released next week I was thinking of buying a stand fan (or at least trying to find my old one somewhere in the garage) and I was just wondering if anyone knew the best place to face it at my xbox? The back of my xbox gets the hottest (I lie it down horizontal) but it also has heat being pushed out so I'm assuming that's more of a heat sink?

I'm not really sure. Hope I explained it.

I think the best place to put your fan would be at the bottom of your xbox (The side opposite the HD drive). I said this purely because *I* think the fan will push cold air around the system, hence cooling it, and will also help get the hot air that comes from the back of the system out faster.

This is what I would do anyways rolleyes.gif

Does anyone know how effective these are, and if they are something you should buy if you plan on playing your Xbox for hours on end? When GTA IV release I'll surely be playing it for more than 5 hours at a time, at least.

I hear the add on fans burn out your system, since they use the system's electricity, the rest of the components don't get enough and it breaks them.

I would say putting a fan on the "bottom" (where it'd go when it's standing) as B4rto suggested. There seems to be plenty of holes there, so the air will get in. More air cold air in = more hot air out. Should help. I may do this, as I know I'll be playing GTA for hours on end.

I even bought a charge-as-you-play battery pack for the controller because I know regular batteries will be dead in a day lol.gif

More air cold air in = more hot air out.

Not necessarily true, as it may conflict with the system's airflow. getting lots of air in and nothing out won't get you any results.

I suggest seeing where the exhaust air is coming from and where the intake is, just put the fan there, I also suggest hooking up a computer case fan at the exhaust holes, to help it pull out the hot air from the inside.

ILovePolarBears

Not necessarily true, as it may conflict with the system's airflow. getting lots of air in and nothing out won't get you any results.

You can't put air into something and not have air come out. If the cold air goes in and out without passing through the hottest parts of the inside, then sure, this has merit, but for any air that is pushed into the space, an equal amount of air must come out.

You can't put air into something and not have air come out. If the cold air goes in and out without passing through the hottest parts of the inside, then sure, this has merit, but for any air that is pushed into the space, an equal amount of air must come out.

IMO any sort of add-on fan for the Xbox is useless. More airflow over heatsinks doesn't necessarily yield higher heat dissipation anyway, there's a threshold to how much airflow can happen before it gets redundant.

But this guy is talking about a "stand fan" AKA a floor fan and blowing it at the 360, which I also think is pointless.

True, something as small as an Xbox 360 won't get much air in if none at all. However casefans may do the job well.

alternatively if you want a cool Xbox just out it on a table in relatively open air or next to some window. Problem solved and no money spent.

Like PolarBears said "what goes in, must come out" pretty much. It might slightly raise the inside pressure in the case, and it might push the internal fan faster than the system is setting the fan at (due to the higher pressure), but it shouldn't do any damage, imo.