GTA4 has "dumb A.I."?

Rambone2007

Rambone2007

I read this earlier:

"The French edition of PSM3 awards GTA IV 20/20, claiming that the game's only faults are its sometimes odd feeling character movements and "dumb" AI. While these are issues for the game, they aren't too significant, the magazine says."

f*cking hell....I hope this isn't true. It seems weird that they say the A.I. is dumb when I've heard other people make a point of mentioning how great the A.I. is in GTA4.

I then ask myself....is somebody lying here? Am I missing something?

As long as its not as bad as the partner A.I. in Army of TWO

Example:

Me "Come help me I'm dead!"

AI "Ok here I'll just drag you through this crowd of angry terrorists"

Me "You stupid douche we were just in the perfect spot to heal!!"

AI "Ya I know but I gotta put you over here facing this wall so you can't shot while the terrorists shoot us."

Me "$@&* You!!!"

Terrorist "Hehe I see you. BANG!!"

Me + AI "*dieing sounds*"

Edited by Uglulyx

Pfft what do the French know.

Every other magazine and internet preview/review have said the AI is excellent, i don't know who to believe now, atleast the AI will be miles better than in the previous games.

s0h607k.jpg

Key word: Sometimes

Much better than the III era: Always

Yeah, just what I was gonna say. You need to learn to read the text properly before getting worked up about it.

lol agree!

doa kappatango

Totally agree.

Rambone2007

Yeah, just what I was gonna say. You need to learn to read the text properly before getting worked up about it.

Dumb is dumb, though. Even if it's an improvement, if it's still dumb...it's still dumb.

Only on a few aspects. In the analysis' I've read, it's just stuff like shooting going on with police and peds are still calm. Nothing big smile.gif

.Up&Coming.

Dumb is dumb, though. Even if it's an improvement, if it's still dumb...it's still dumb.

No game is perfect. Plus, I like dumb A.I. sometimes.

Makes for those classic moments.

NEW ACCOUNT

Panz

There's a cover system in the game now. If the A.I. at least tries to use it, that's good enough for me for a GTA game.

Example:

AI "Ya I know but I gotta put you over here facing this wall so you can't shot while the terrorists shoot us."

Me "$@&* You!!!"

why would he help you if your dead suicidal.gif

user posted image

Example:

Me "$@&* You!!!"

well near dead. Sitting on the floor because the spot you rather than hiding to avoid being shot.

ecartman147

As long as its 5x better than GTA III era then I'm cool. But in an IGN preview a couple months ago they mentioned that they drove off a cliff and the cops followed him off the 40ft cliff. suicidal.gif

I highly doubt the AI is going to be bad at all, this is my opinion so think of it what you will... I believe that I highly doubt the AI is going to be bad at all, this is my opinion so think of it what you will... I believe that. I have read in an article on IGN.com from a review of a British Review I believe when they tested out the game. They said that the controls were good and solid while being realistic and that the AI was unbelievable, each Pedestrian doing, saying, acting in his own way.

Either way, I don't always believe what informers believe, because while some are truthful others can sometimes be "bribed" or "convinced" to say bad things about a game/company, ect...

Either way I think the AI will be very good in GTA IV seeing that it is one of the biggest aspect of the series.

Rambone2007

No game is perfect. Plus, I like dumb A.I. sometimes.

Makes for those classic moments.

Dumb AI makes games boring.

I can just imagine not even having to use cover because I probably run right up to people and blow them away like in previous GTA's. The only times where I had trouble doing that was when the cops/bad guys had assault rifles.

Example:

Me "$@&* You!!!"

well near dead. Sitting on the floor because the spot you rather than hiding to avoid being shot.

is that game actually any good?

user posted image

ecartman147

is that game actually any good?

Nope ,glad I rented it and didn't waste 60 bucks. tounge.gif

I believe there has been already countless threads made on this topic of asking how smart the AI is... Either it IS or it ISN'T... 'Nuff said, if the AI is dumb then I guess you don't want the game right?

I've always... ALWAYS been disapointed of the AI in pretty much every game. Then only one that made me go WOW was in Half Life (for it's time). Hopefully GTA4 can change that smile.gif

I read this earlier:

"The French edition of PSM3 awards GTA IV 20/20, claiming that the game's only faults are its sometimes odd feeling character movements and "dumb" AI. While these are issues for the game, they aren't too significant, the magazine says."

f*cking hell....I hope this isn't true.  It seems weird that they say the A.I. is dumb when I've heard other people make a point of mentioning how great the A.I. is in GTA4.

I then ask myself....is somebody lying here?  Am I missing something?

When they say the Character movements are "dumb" I'm pretty sure the word they were actually looking for was "Realistic" so I guess Realistic is Dumb then...

I remember when reading in IGN that when the player ran at a cliff and tried to stop on the edge, even when he stopped moving the control the player still ran slightly forward before slowing down to a complete halt. I guess it would be pretty realistic to run at a cliff and just instantly stop at the edge of the cliff without taking an extra step forward?

Even if the AI was as smart as a human guy with downsyndrome it would still be considered "Dumb A.I." to some people yet it would be a thousand times better than GTA III A.I. so if you think about it that way it's gonna be pretty tough to make really good A.I. to the point where no one will complain.

That magazine said that Niko feels "too heavy" when every preview has said that the physics on him are awesome, and the fact that he moves with weight is realistic.

IMO, sometimes game informers are Bias, for example.. If you didn't like GTA at all and you had to write a review on it, what would be the possible outcome? icon13.gif

Rambone2007
Even if the AI was as smart as a human guy with downsyndrome it would still be considered "Dumb A.I." to some people yet it would be a thousand times better than GTA III A.I. so if you think about it that way it's gonna be pretty tough to make really good A.I. to the point where no one will complain.

I'd just like to know why they made a point of saying the A.I. is dumb??? If it wasn't dumb, why even bring it up??

TheCarLEssDriven

Guys this french review is a joke, its based off of an old build, AND OFF OF A HANDS ON PREVIEW THEY HAD WITH THE GAME A MONTH AGO. Why they did this is beyond me, and the editor in chief should be fired.

The A.I. is going to be amazing. What they are talking about in the review are A.I. Hitches, where it just goes haywire for a second, not the constant A.I.

OPM & OXM have all stated that the A.I. is awesome, as well as IGN in hands on previews and many other big gaming outlets, don't listen to these stupid french previews based off of old code. Rockstar was changing things up the the very day they submitted the final code for mass production like 2 weeks ago.

Oh and this was my first post here. Long time lurker though. Usually on the IGN GTA IV forums and Gametrailers one.

Oh wtf I jsut noticed the E in my name is capitalized. damnit.

Edited by TheCarLEssDriven

GUys this french review is a joke, its based off of an old build, AND OFF OF A HANDS ON PREVIEW THEY HAD WITH THE GAME A MONTH AGO. Why they did this is beyond me, and the editor in chief should be fired.

The A.I. is going to be amazing. What they are talking about in the review are A.I. Hitches, where it just goes haywire for a second, not the constant A.I.

OPM & OXM have all stated that the A.I. is awesome, as well as IGN in hands on previews and many other bug gaming outlets, don't listen to these stupid french previews based off of old code. Rockstar was changing things up the the very day they submitted the final code for mass production like 2 weeks ago.

Oh and this was my first post here. Long time lurker though. Usually on the IGN GTA IV forums and Gametrailers one.

I agree, I hate when "reviews" are submitted even before the game is entirely finished, then they write a review saying "oh, the AI isn't going to be the best" ect... even when the game isn't done ffs! sneaky2.gif

Rambone2007

The one thing that gives me a bit of optimism is that, over in the "Official News and Info" section, the translation of the article says nothing about A.I.

In fact, the only points of contention listed are....

"The only bugs noticed by the journalists were problems in relation to sight and the heavy motions of the character."

Still, I'm crossing my fingers that I don't notice "dumb A.I." when I play the game for myself. I'm not expecting FLAWLESS A.I. but let's be real....being better (even much better) than GTA3's A.I. is not neccessarily a great improvement. The A.I. on the last-gen GTA's was nearly nonexistent.