If your Xbox RROD's in the week before GTA

drwizardphd

drwizardphd

Someone posted earlier about preventing the red ring of death on the 360. His "solution" was to point a fan at the box to keep it from overheating.

Well, I figured I'd share since just last week my xbox also displayed the dreaded three lights of death. The following is a genuine, simple fix that has worked for hundreds of consoles. Just check out the link:

http://forums.xbox-scene.com/index.php?showtopic=595746

*** Doing this will void your xbox 360's warranty! ***

The idea behind the fix is to correct a serious design flaw in the Xbox 360, the x-clamps that hold the heatsinks in place over the gpu and cpu. By removing these x-clamps and screwing the heatsinks with the parts specified in the guide, you provide better support to the solders, which in turn fixes about 90% of the red rings of death permanently.

I used Lawdowg's method because it is the simplest. You just need to go pick up some washers and screws at lowes, the parts total for me came to only $9.21. Also it's very important to clean off the crappy old thermal paste and put new paste on all 3 chips! (preferably arctic silver 5, I used ceramique). If you forget a chip or don't change the paste your likely to end up with even more problems.

If you are afraid to void your warranty you could always try the method described in this video:

However, I can't guarantee that this will work, and the folks at M$ will probably realize you were tinkering around in there.

If you're like me, and bought your box on ebay or don't have a warranty for some other reason, this fix is a godsend. Also if you're not willing to wait a month to send it in and are more of a do-it-yourself-er than it might be worth it to at least take a look at the threads. This fix doesn't work on every console, but it's proven to be very effective at solving the red ring problem.

My Xbox has been going strong for a week now since I tried this fix, and I've put it through some rigorous testing.

Good luck,

Wizard

I wish I was brave enough to do this tounge.gif Though I'll probably give it a shot if I run out of warranty.

Lump_The_XXII

Preciate it!

My comrades xbox JUST went out like a few dayz ago. im bookmark this

user posted image

"Pix or it didnt happen!" MOVEMENT! Add this 2 ur sig banner to join

drwizardphd
U SHOULD HAVE REPLIED INSTED OF MAKING A NEW TOPIC

That thread is already three pages long, I thought this would be informative enough to warrant a new topic.

SyphonPayne

No way I'm going to risk voiding the warranty when I don't know for a fact that this will fix the problem.

drwizardphd
No way I'm going to risk voiding the warranty when I don't know for a fact that this will fix the problem.

Yeah if you're still under warranty its definitely a better idea to ship it for free. This fix is really for people who live too far away/have no warranty/are impatient.

Lump_The_XXII
Nothing to do with GTA.

goddamn, u so negative

wont u go find a real hobby like masturbation, huffing, hell even suicide

it is in relation 2 gta, due to the fact xbox360 users will be up to odd hours of the night, clocking 5 or more hours a time on their system, get the f*ck off ur high horse u f*cking fag

user posted image

"Pix or it didnt happen!" MOVEMENT! Add this 2 ur sig banner to join

My 360 died sad.gif ...and it was RROD for the first time in the 2 years I had it. Got a power surge and it fried it to hell, but the rings show if it turns on, so I got free replacement! I don't understand why people get so angry towards MS when their system breaks, it shouldn't have broke, but at least they admit the problem and fix it for free. They even throw in goodies like free Points and a month of live.

I have had my 360 for over a year.. it has never crashed, overheated or had any kind of red lights turn on.

I place my 360 horizontally on top of a wooden cabinet in a well ventilated room. I know one person whose 360 died on him. He stored it in a glass cabinet in between 2 glass shelves. The room was poorly ventilated and his console overheated on many occasions. Take simple precautions like turning the console off when you are idle for example, and I'm sure you will be fine!

I probably shouldn't be saying these things.. dontgetit.gif they are famous last words cry.gif

Nothing to do with GTA.

goddamn, u so negative

wont u go find a real hobby like masturbation, huffing, hell even suicide

it is in relation 2 gta, due to the fact xbox360 users will be up to odd hours of the night, clocking 5 or more hours a time on their system, get the f*ck off ur high horse u f*cking fag

www.dictionary.com

I have hobbies, plenty of hobbies. Just not that involve me doing things at 3:55am.

And how is stating the fact that an Xbox 360 has nothing to do with GTA being negative? please, explain that to me.

You "dick hole"