Setting up the Xbox to the Computer

Brian O'Toole

Brian O'Toole

What I want to do is set up my Xbox up onto my Computer screen, since my TV sucks and my Comp screen is HD. I have a VGA Analog input, my speakers plug into the computer so I can't plug them into my Xbox, and I use Linksys on my computer since I can't run a line up into my room.

How do I prepare it so the screen works fine, the sound works fine, and live works fine?

(Tell me and you get free cookies for life? cookie.gif Thanks! )

user posted image

Buy this. You can find it at pretty much every major electronic store and it comes with everything you need.

Brian O'Toole

(IMAGE)

Buy this. You can find it at pretty much every major electronic store and it comes with everything you need.

Thanks, my screen has no speakers though, I also still need my Live question answered, but thanks.

TenEightyOne

Get a cheap pair of speakers (you can find reasonable ones for less than a tenner). Use the R + L phono outputs on the VGA cable (that's the red and the white) to go into the speakers. MAKE SURE THE SPEAKERS TAKE THOSE INPUTS BEFORE YOU BUY THEM.

I wasn't exactly sure what your XBL question was... but I'm guessing that LinkSys is used to connect your XB to a hub so you can play other XBs on the same network? And now you want to go Live?

If so... providing that you have a modem attatched to the network that in turn is connected to broadband, you should be fine. If not, it gets a bit complicated. You need to get broadband and a modem, attach the modem to your hub (or router), set up your xbox to see the network, switch on your XB and apply for an XBL id. You get one month of Gold free when you sign up.

Did THAT answer the question? biggrin.gif

Brian O'Toole

Get a cheap pair of speakers (you can find reasonable ones for less than a tenner). Use the R + L phono outputs on the VGA cable (that's the red and the white) to go into the speakers. MAKE SURE THE SPEAKERS TAKE THOSE INPUTS BEFORE YOU BUY THEM.

I wasn't exactly sure what your XBL question was... but I'm guessing that LinkSys is used to connect your XB to a hub so you can play other XBs on the same network? And now you want to go Live?

If so...  providing that you have a modem attatched to the network that in turn is connected to broadband, you should be fine. If not, it gets a bit complicated. You need to get broadband and a modem, attach the modem to your hub (or router), set up your xbox to see the network, switch on your XB and apply for an XBL id. You get one month of Gold free when you sign up.

Did THAT answer the question? biggrin.gif

No that didn't. Considering the Linksys is attached to the computer. I have Broadband and a Modem and router downstairs and the network adapter upstairs that's connected to the computer, I can't connect my Xbox to the computer, if I could, everything would be fine.

Thanks anyways

TenEightyOne

Hoookay...

You need a network adapter for the XB (obviously). You'll need to get the wireless one. It's nowhere near as good as a shielded cable, but it'll do.

Does THAT help? tounge.gif

Brian O'Toole

Hoookay...

You need a network adapter for the XB (obviously). You'll need to get the wireless one. It's nowhere near as good as a shielded cable, but it'll do.

Does THAT help? tounge.gif

I'll go to Costco tomorrow to pick up a cheap pair of speakers.

cookie.gifcookie.gifcookie.gifcookie.gifcookie.gifcookie.gifcookie.gifcookie.gifcookie.gifcookie.gifcookie.gifcookie.gifcookie.gifcookie.gifcookie.gifcookie.gifcookie.gifcookie.gifcookie.gif

TenEightyOne

wink.gif

Like I said, make sure they have the inputs for the red and white phono leads. Alternatively, it's possible to get a converter plug that turns two phonos into a normal stereo 3.5mm jack (the standard stereo headphone plug).

Depends how good the droids in the shop are aswell...

Good luck

Deuce Deuce

As said, buy the VGA cable. That'll sort out your picture.

For the sound, you don't necessarily need to plug the RCA cables straight into your sound system. What I used to do was have the computer turned on when I wanted to play my 360 (and I usually used both simultaneously so it didn't matter), using a converter (standard stereo-jack) for the two RCA cables and plugged that straight into the Line input of my sound card, and obviously with the speakers coming out of the green input of your soundcard as it was before. But there are a few different ways to go about it.

And wireless network adapters are a waste of money, unless you really can't find an alternative. For a straight connection from your router to your 360, you'll need to do it via an ethernet cable. You can find them in any electronics store.

ok to all those who have the above cable, (VGA CABLE)

does the head that plugs into your 360 have a little slider on it? if so what does it do, mine has it and i think i have the wrong cable now as it appears that only the official component cable should have this

TenEightyOne

I get the feeling we might get moved to a tech/support thread soon, but here goes anyway...

I haven't ever seen a vga cable with a slider... are you sure it's a VGA cable? Check the manual, too. It might be a 3rd party cable that has a cunning extra function.

Normally the VGA cable has the XBox video output plug at one end and a VGA (computer monitor) plug at the other. The VGA end also has left/right audio plugs on it.

Try this article - the resolutions table is quite intersting too (although i AM a nerd...)

http://hardware.teamxbox.com/reviews/xbox-...HD-AV-Cable/p1/

I get the feeling we might get moved to a tech/support thread soon, but here goes anyway...

I haven't ever seen a vga cable with a slider... are you sure it's a VGA cable? Check the manual, too. It might be a 3rd party cable that has a cunning extra function.

Normally the VGA cable has the XBox video output plug at one end and a VGA (computer monitor) plug at the other. The VGA end also has left/right audio plugs on it.

Try this article - the resolutions table is quite intersting too (although i AM a nerd...)

http://hardware.teamxbox.com/reviews/xbox-...HD-AV-Cable/p1/

well it did come with my original xbox but with now manual, so it could be 3rd party, i have no way to tell if im missing out on quality, so i might just buy an official one to make sure lol however it does work, and it is really nice graphics, oh and it does also have the audio plugs, its 100% like the official, but with a slider :S

thanks for your reply

not trying to raise any console war here, not at all, but does this also work with PS3? and LG LCD monitors?

thanks...

Deuce Deuce

does the head that plugs into your 360 have a little slider on it? if so what does it do, mine has it and i think i have the wrong cable now as it appears that only the official component cable should have this

Mine doesn't, although it isn't the official Microsoft one (but still works as the official one would, I'm just a cheapskate. tounge.gif).

Usually, when there's a "slider" on a cable, it means it's probably multi-functional and can be used for more than one thing (output, in this case). If the other end of your cable looks like a standard monitor lead, then there would be little point in buying a new one. Just make sure it looks like the above pic.

Mine doesn't, although it isn't the official Microsoft one (but still works as the official one would, I'm just a cheapskate. tounge.gif).

Usually, when there's a "slider" on a cable, it means it's probably multi-functional and can be used for more than one thing (output, in this case). If the other end of your cable looks like a standard monitor lead, then there would be little point in buying a new one. Just make sure it looks like the above pic.

alright thanks Deuce, and is this Deuce as in DeucyDeuce wtfman lol? Im Jake_Samp if you are, an officer on the server

TenEightyOne

If the cable came with your XBox as new then it is very unlikely to be a third party cable. Here's a very simple 'is it a VGA cable' test.

Does one end of it fit your computer monitor input socket?

YES: It's a VGA cable.

NO : It's not a VGA cable.

IF YES:

Look for a brand name and give it a bit of a googling...

Plug it in and try it

ELSE

Buy VGA cable

smile.gif

If the cable came with your XBox as new then it is very unlikely to be a third party cable. Here's a very simple 'is it a VGA cable' test.

IF YES:

Plug it in and try it

ELSE

Buy VGA cable

smile.gif

well i bought my xbox 360 of ebay and my vga cable was with it, yea my setup is working fine, 360 to monitor, definately HD too the graphics dont lie, i just thought maybe i could be loosing out lol, oh well its working so ill stick with it, thanks mate i appreciate your help

Deuce Deuce

IF YES:

Plug it in and try it

ELSE

Buy VGA cable

smile.gif

well i bought my xbox 360 of ebay and my vga cable was with it, yea my setup is working fine, 360 to monitor, definately HD too the graphics dont lie, i just thought maybe i could be loosing out lol, oh well its working so ill stick with it, thanks mate i appreciate your help

Nope, you aren't missing out on anything. Don't worry.

However, go into console settings > display (or something like that, can't remember) and change your resolution if you feel it isn't as "sharp" as it should.

Brian O'Toole

And wireless network adapters are a waste of money, unless you really can't find an alternative. For a straight connection from your router to your 360, you'll need to do it via an ethernet cable. You can find them in any electronics store.

My router is downstairs, so I can't.

Brian O'Toole

Got the Xbox 360 and Saints Row with the AVG Cable, the Network Adapter was too much so I'm gonna try running a line up to it later this week. icon14.gif

Get a 16/9 screen if you can, because most monitors are 16/10 which vga cables don't truely support.

the closest match vga cables support is 1280 x 768, but true 16/10 is 1280 x 800.

means wheels aren't complety round, more oval. unless you get a monitor with fixed pixel 1:1 ratio, which most cheap monitors dont have..