Vehicle Performance.. Police cars specificaly

DruidB

One thing that has bothered me in past GTA games has been the acceleration and top speed of the police cruisers... As the owner of an Ex police vehicle (LT1 Caprice 9C1) i have a grasp on how they perform, my car being one of the best accelerating and fastest police cars (excluding rare Camaro/Mustang cruisers) i get annoyed when for example in vice city the cop cars could out accelerate and attain higher top speeds than your sports cars and motorcycles...

Do we have any info on the realism of the Crown Vic / Impala GTA clones and how they performe this time around? Is a Crown Victoria still going to be able to chase me down when im at top speed in an exotic sports car? or are they going to use realistic tactics like radio ahead or choppers.. just wondering as i have not seen any info on this yet.. Thanks.

The cop cars are fast not for realism but because if you could easily outrun them...well, that'd be no fun would it?

One thing that has bothered me in past GTA games has been the acceleration and top speed of the police cruisers... As the owner of an Ex police vehicle (LT1 Caprice 9C1) i have a grasp on how they perform, my car being one of the best accelerating and fastest police cars (excluding rare Camaro/Mustang cruisers) i get annoyed when for example in vice city the cop cars could out accelerate and attain higher top speeds than your sports cars and motorcycles...

Do we have any info on the realism of the Crown Vic / Impala GTA clones and how they performe this time around? Is a Crown Victoria still going to be able to chase me down when im at top speed in an exotic sports car? or are they going to use realistic tactics like radio ahead or choppers.. just wondering as i have not seen any info on this yet.. Thanks.

It's been said in countless reviews that each car handles differently. With the Euphoria engine cars performance and handling have been upgraded a lot. Not sure about the specifics of the police cars. Just thought I'd add something about Euphoria.

infiniteammo

Well they want the cops to be a challenge and not just a nuisance. I'm all for more realism, but by the same token, it's got to have a thrill to it, and a good sense of fun.

Driv3r had realistic cop cars that I could blow past like they were sitting still in sports cars, and it got boring real quick, they'd just keep spawning ahead and ending up on suicidal paths to stop me.

But then GTA has always had suicidal cops as well trying to smash into you head-on too... suicidal.gif

In the end a good balance is needed between supercruisers that have unlimited top speeds and what can be attained by aggressive driving tactics and realistic vehicles. I think this time around, with a lot less empty or "free space", we'll see more realistic police cars, with better driving AI, because we'll be hitting a lot of city traffic (almost exclusively so)...

The cop cars are fast not for realism but because if you could easily outrun them...well, that'd be no fun would it?

I understand that... but thats why having a fast get away car in the first place makes sense... also.. in NY there is so much traffic that really it should come down the driver skill and route choice... and no one can outrun the Motorola (radio)... thats how its done in RL if a suspect is getting away due to a faster vehicle.. it kills realism for me to not be able to outrun a police cruiser on open highway if im in much faster vehicle...

I have to add also that judging by the screen shots we have so far... the police cruisers do look like they have soft suspensions.. so im hoping they handle like larger cars when compared to the sports cars in game...

I agree wholeheartedly with the OP. Nothing is more frustrating than being on a superbike or in a Ferrari equivalent, and having Crown Vics catch you easily. On the same token, it would be fantastically satisfying to be able to actually use that speed to your advantage with the vehicles being realistically balanced.

As mentioned, there are other ways to keep the game thrilling, and that is to make the game more realistic. Have the cops use tactics rather than lightspeed cruisers and suicide maneuvers.

I agree wholeheartedly with the OP. Nothing is more frustrating than being on a superbike or in a Ferrari equivalent, and having Crown Vics catch you easily. On the same token, it would be fantastically satisfying to be able to actually use that speed to your advantage with the vehicles being realistically balanced.

As mentioned, there are other ways to keep the game thrilling, and that is to make the game more realistic. Have the cops use tactics rather than lightspeed cruisers and suicide maneuvers.

Nice to know im not the only one smile.gif

Not reading thread- but I think with the emphasis on "out running the police" feature it is safe to assume they will be slower.

Not reading thread- but I think with the emphasis on "out running the police" feature it is safe to assume they will be slower.

which reminds me. seeing as there is a new way to get rid of wanted level stars, with the search radius, i think it will be possible to outrun them in order to get out of sight and beat the chase. so i believe they will be more realistic with that new feature added.

which reminds me. seeing as there is a new way to get rid of wanted level stars, with the search radius, i think it will be possible to outrun them in order to get out of sight and beat the chase. so i believe they will be more realistic with that new feature added.

I hope so... that way finding a proper fast getaway car makes sense before a mission...

lostprophet99

haha yeah like on San Andreas, u drive for 2 seconds and you've lost the cops

haha yeah like on San Andreas, u drive for 2 seconds and you've lost the cops

yeah... until they respawn in front of you and hit you head on

In SA the cops would make the dumbest moves ever, in GTA IV the cops should try different, less suicidal tactics like the P.I.T maneuver, going in front of the criminal car and forcing them to slow down and also trying to shoot the cars tyres.

In SA the cops would make the dumbest moves ever, in GTA IV the cops should try different, less suicidal tactics like the P.I.T maneuver, going in front of the criminal car and forcing them to slow down and also trying to shoot the cars tyres.

We can only hope its like this... im trusting R* to not let us down

ive already heard from many sites that the police will attempt to shoot out your tires.

i dont know about usa but in britain 99% chance you wont outrun feds...

i dont know what the fed's in Britain drive but last time i was in England i saw most of you driving cars with less than 2.0L engines and lots of diesels... the average police cruiser here would have no trouble catching those types of cars

I second that.

Plus, I read a review or preview that said the Cop Cars are the same as always.

I second that.

i think coupled with the thought of them trying to shoot your tires (and possibly a return of spike strips, just my guess no source) they'll easily make up for slower speed.

I second that.

You did? ugh.... lets hope the exotic cars are at least faster than the cops... assuming the limited game time of the reviewers didn't give them access to the nicest cars/bikes