Tricks of the trade

flicko

Welcome to "The tricks of the trade" thread. This thread is going to contain how to many various things newer, and some older members may struggle with, complete with examples and extra stuff a lot of members might not have known about. Although there is a guide for this where it says "BB code help", this is a detailed guide on how to do basic, and more advanced things on the forum, as well as lots of things members may not know about. But still, meh.

Let's start off with the basics-

Bold, in italics or underlined, after you have written something, highlight over what you have written, and click on the B box just above where you enter your post to make it Bold. If you want to put your post in Italics, do the same thing but press the I button above where you enter your post, and the same goes for if you want to underline something, only this time you press the U option above where you post. Simple.

[b]My text is now bold[/b]

[i]My text is now in italics[/i]

[u]My text is now underlined[/u]

Fontsize, text size and colour-

Examples-

[font=Arial]this is my new font[/size]

this is my new font

[size=1]My text is now smaller[/size]

My text is now larger

[color=gray]My writing is now gray[/size]

My text is now gray

There are also many other colours which are available, but are not available in the "COLOR" tag, and these are-

Lime (used by the infamous Guybrush) Brown Black Gold Silver Cyan Maroon turquoise Olive Fuchsia Pink Aqua Tan Tomato Violet Teal Plum Sienna Salmon Peru Orchid Navy Chocolate Khaki Indigo Firebrick Gainsboro Crimson Coral Chartreuse Wheat Goldenrod Seagreen Aquamarine Thistle Royal blue (used by the infamous SIP YEK NOD) Cadet blue Salmon Cornflower blue Crimson Indian red Peachpuff Papaya whip Rosy brown Saddle brown Yellowgreen Pale green Sea green Orangered Powder blue Lightgoldenrodyellow Lemon chiffon DimgrayThere may be more, however I can't be arsed to look through all the colours.

Check here to find out how to do this.

You can also add fontsize, text size and colour all together by doing this-

[font=arial][size=14][color=gray]My text is now a different font, larger and a different colour[/color][/size][/font]

My text is now a different font, larger and a different colour

Not only that, if you wish, you can make your new text bold, in italics and underlined-

[font=arial][size=14][color=gray][b][i][u]My text is now a different font, larger and a different colour[/u][/i][/b][/color][/size][/font]

My text is now a different font, larger and a different colour aswell as bold, in italics and underlined.

You may have seen people with extremely small writing, yet writing this small isn't an option in the "SIZE" box. However, it is still possible. To make something smaller than size 1, simply highlight over your text, click on any size, then change the 1 or 7 or 14, to a -1, -2 etc. I'm not too sure but I think the lowest size is -6

[size=-6]My writing is now really small[/size]

My writing is really small

You can also make your text larger than size 14, if you wish. Just do the same as you would making your text small, and type in a higher number than 14.

[size=20]My writing is now massive[/size]

My writing is now massive

Spoiler tags-

posible spoilers go here

And Voila, possible spoilers go here

Quote tags

I'm quoting somebody's post

If you wish to add the members name who you are quoting, then where the first tag occurs,

, enter =member's name, so it would be,

Image tags-

Imageshack them, or Isarapix them (which is benficial to charity). This will transfer your images so that they have web addresses. Once you have done that, and you have the addrress for your image, copy and paste it onto your post, but don't reply yet. You have to add image tags, which is easy. There is an "IMG" option above where you enter your post, just below the "FONT" option. All you have to do is highlight the address for your image, and click on th "IMG" option. The result should look like this-

[img=http://img141.imageshack.us/img141/3289/oooooooooooul9.jpg]

user posted image

Centering images and text

My text is now centered

or

My text is now centered

user posted image

Aligning something to the right

[ALIGN=right]Right turn[/ALIGN]

Would be-

right turn

Me tags-

[ME]wants a cookie[/ME]

Make sure you don't say your username after you add the "Me" tag, or it will come out like this-

flicko flicko wants a cookie

Which obviously looks stupid. This is the correct way-

flicko wants a cookie

You can also make "Me" tags in which you can shange your name of sorts, by doing this-

[ME=Dick]loves vagina[/ME]

Dick loves vagina

Basic Table codes

[tableb]

And this at the end of my post which is going to be tableised, I put this-

[/tableb]

And your text should now be in a table. For more complicated table codes, go here, credit goes to GTA3Rockstar for that. icon14.gif

[/center']

Youtube videos

youtube topic's first post for examples and explanations on how to post youtube videos. Credit goes to meta187 for that one.

URL's-

this, find the website you want to place onto your post, copy it, then click on the "http://" box beside the "IMG" tag. Pastes the website address, and add a website title.

Example-

GTAForums.com

Would equal= GTAForums.com

You can also URL images, by using the same format,

[img=http://img220.imageshack.us/img220/1580/zfinaleav8.gif]

user posted image

List tags

• This is a list

• This is a list

E-mail tags

[email][email protected][/email]

[email protected]

Code tags-

Explanation ges here

Random sh*t

[table]

[/table]

The result

To colour the -------------------------- at the end of your post, simply pick the colour you wish to change it to, and post this at the end of your post-

[color=green][color=green] [table][/color][/table][/color]

The result

• You can put a line throught your text, called a strikethrough, which is effective when you want to delete something you wish you hadn't posted, but a member has already exposed you of it. What you do is this-

[s]Don't read this[/s]

Don't read this

• To make bullet points, enter the following keys

[*]Bullet point ftw

Would equal- • Bullet point ftw

• If you want to search for a certain topic, but when you use the search function it brings up at least 40 pages, when you search for a topic, at the bottom of the page where it says "Search this forum", when you type in what you are looking for, make sure you add a "+" in front of every word you type. It will narrow the results down a great deal.

• You will notice that at the side of certain topics, there will be a black dot in the middle of it. This means that you have posted in the topic the letter icon is beside.

• If you want to find out who has posted in a certain topic, and how many times they have posted in said topic, where it says how many replies there is, clik on it, and it will forward to a new page telling you who has posted in the topic, and how many times they have posted.

Some of you will have noticed that certain members statistics seem a little farfetched. For example, Illspirit's join date says May 1, 1976, and a member called b&mike39 has -1 posts. A retired moderator called morph also has totalled a quite unbelievable -8,388,469 posts. Of course these are not real, they have been done my the administrators to confuse you bastards, and it works aswell.

• There is a lightbulb icon at the side of each member's name when they make a post. Some of the newer members may not be aware what this is. Well, if the lightbulb is lit, it means the member is online, and if the lightbulb is not lit, it means the member is offline. Anonymous members, moderators and administrators are the only exceptions on that one.

• To the left when making a post you will find clickable smilies, and, to place them onto your post, you do just what they say, click them. There are more than what are displaye to the left, and are visile by clicking on "Show all" below the smilies.

• You can check your post length, by clicking on "(check Post Length)" option below the clickable smilies section. The maximum amount of posts characters you're allowed is 1024000, so you can say a LOT in your posts.

So, learn something new?

Edited by flicko

Wow, thanks alot dude!

P.S. Just trying some random crap smile.gif

Edited by Cashire

I always wondered how to do that scroll over to see the writing thing because of spoilers and this has a simple answer of how to do it, good work. icon14.gif

Yes, you're not the first to post this, but i like the outlook of it, it's put together really well.

icon14.gif for the effort.

jqmqKlq.gif

You forgot about royalblue, flicko. That's what SIP YEK NOD is using. Anyway, nice work, but someone thought of that earlier.

Hey, wasn't that GTA3Rockstar's thread stickied in the General Chat? wow.gif

Although there is a guide for this where it says "BB code help", this is a detailed guide on how to do basic, and more advanced things on the forum, as well as lots of things members may not know about. But still, meh.

He knows about the other topic.

Great effort mate, should help alot of the newer and like you said, older members with bits and bobs around the forum. icon14.gif

Although there is a guide for this where it says "BB code help", this is a detailed guide on how to do basic, and more advanced things on the forum, as well as lots of things members may not know about. But still, meh.

If you actually clicked on the link you would see that it's not the other topic but a forum guide.

user posted image

Great effort mate, should help alot of the newer and like you said, older members with bits and bobs around the forum. icon14.gif

Nah, I'm on about the "BBcode help" link below the clickable smilies you see when making a post.

Cheers for the comments everyone. icon14.gif

kevin2006rhs
You forgot to add these colors

Is there a simple way for how you did that? bored.gif

Yes

Linky

Right here man, Link

Edit: Beaten.

Right here man, Link

Edit: Beaten.

Wow I thought only Gaia Members knew about that site. Anyway I was wondering about the Me tags and the strikethroughs.

Look a gradient....

ryuclan Takes notes

The Unvirginiser

You f*cking genious

I can whore my stories in all new colors now

Get that man a cigar!

Or a medal

I was about to point to the bb code help thread, but its been done already. This threads alot more in depth though, ditch the other one.

WbZaxRP.png

What's the code for strike-through text?

Cancel that.

Edited by Straznicy

Good work flicko icon14.gif

I cant say I really liked everything being in the Quote box's but other then taht it looks good. Too bad there is allready the other topic.

I cant say I really liked everything being in the Quote box's but other then taht it looks good. Too bad there is allready the other topic.

It's actually in tables, which is why there isn't a (quote) above every section.

And I've added a couple of things I've missed, cheers for that.

Reported for the sake of GTA IV forum noobs killing the moderators eyes when they have to lock a topic full of multi-colored text. The color tags should only be known to those who deserve it.

Reported for the sake of GTA IV forum noobs killing the moderators eyes when they have to lock a topic full of multi-colored text. The color tags should only be known to those who deserve it.

You reported this?

You reported this?

Yes I did, click here to read my report.

You reported this?

lol, he was joking. Cough, Cough, noob, cough.

@Flicko: Yeah I know it wasn't the quote box's. I just ment I dont really like the blue box's.

kevin2006rhs

You reported this?

Hey, I heard he says he loves He Man and has a huge He Man poster in his room. Doesn't that make you what to crush his head?

• 1 User Currently Viewing
    0 members, 0 Anonymous, 1 Guest

Important Information

By using GTAForums.com, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.